Medaillon device

dv71617

Posted (edited)

You can pick up the medallion at the pier, you don't have to order it sent you. Once on board you can ask for a cruise card at passenger services. I'm certain they will provide one to you if they have them. Don't be frightened of the medallion. It's just an RFD in a small coin shaped package.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

No. The medallion is inside a credit card size plastic holder and comes with a lanyard. You can detach from the lanyard and keep the plastic holder in you pocket. You can also remove the medallion from the holder. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dv71617 said:

Anyone have a picture of that plastic holder with the lanyard ?

Thanks again everyone !

Ive had both options below .

Last few cruises were the round plastic holder.  Handy to skip in pocket, clutch, etc. 

s-l300.jpg

lanyard-1.jpg

• Like 1

Works just fine in a pocket.  No lanyard required or any other stuff needed. Was actually useful if linked to friends for locating them on board.

I carry mine the same as the old key card.  Only difference is the medallion automatically unlocks your door.

PS - I pick mine up.at the pier.   Only takes an extra minute

19 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

Does the Medallion fit into an Apple AirTag holder?  It looks like it's close to the right size.

Yup 

Many people use air tag holders instead of buying anything from Princess 

Deon visuals onboard, a whole whole lot just wear the lanyard 

Posted (edited)

The question the OP asked has not been answered. YES you can go to guest services and get a regular cruise card. People with pacemakers are advised to avoid contact with the medallion within several feet of the chest due to the magnet in the medallion.  This would be a feat in an elevator.

The rectangle plastic holder is available for a fee, the lanyard is complimentary. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

3 hours ago, dv71617 said:

Is it mandatory to order Medaillon devices or can we still have a regular card to access our room ?

You can get a cruise card at guest services, but why would you want to? The medallion is much easier to carry and to use. It also allows you to locate people in your party, if they agree to it.

This is like asking if you can still get a horse instead of an automobile for long-distance travel.

5 hours ago, Teechur said:

You can get a cruise card at guest services, but why would you want to? The medallion is much easier to carry and to use. It also allows you to locate people in your party, if they agree to it.

This is like asking if you can still get a horse instead of an automobile for long-distance travel.

Some people don't feel comfortable being tracked, some people have pacemakers and might not feel safe..

8 hours ago, travelloverontario said:

I will use my pocket!!!

A lot of woman (and men) don't have pockets in their clothing. 

This is what is sent to you if you don't buy anything extra. We did buy some cheap airtag wristband things that look like watch bands, but I'll probably just keep this rolled up in my shorts or attach the watch band to my belt loop. lanyard-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Some people don't feel comfortable being tracked, some people have pacemakers and might not feel safe..

A lot of woman (and men) don't have pockets in their clothing. 

This is what is sent to you if you don't buy anything extra. We did buy some cheap airtag wristband things that look like watch bands, but I'll probably just keep this rolled up in my shorts or attach the watch band to my belt loop. lanyard-1.jpg

I hate the thought of having it around my neck:  every time I would bend over, it would get in the way.  The idea of attaching it to my belt loop seems like the way to go.  How would I attach it to the belt?   i don't understand what you mean by attaching the watch band. Do you mean one has to buy a wrist band thing or can you attach it some other way?

9 minutes ago, jimlouisesophie said:

I hate the thought of having it around my neck:  every time I would bend over, it would get in the way.  The idea of attaching it to my belt loop seems like the way to go.  How would I attach it to the belt?   i don't understand what you mean by attaching the watch band. Do you mean one has to buy a wrist band thing or can you attach it some other way?

Keep in mind that you may occasionally have to remove it from your belt to place it on a sensor pad, for instance when leaving or boarding the ship. I also hate lanyards for exactly the same reason, so we use one of the plastic credit-card sized holders instead. They used to be the standard holder but have been replaced by the small round lanyard thingy, which we don't use. The puck sits in the holder in my pocket at all times and I easily extract it to touch the pad or hand to a waiter when needed. There are also holders that attach to your watch band though I found those to be a bit too big. As Elite, we get free blue plastic spring clip holders for free, but those are useless for us so they get disposed of.  Note that all Princess ships have a small "store" selling a range of Medallion accessories once you board.

10 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The question the OP asked has not been answered. YES you can go to guest services and get a regular cruise card. People with pacemakers are advised to avoid contact with the medallion within several feet of the chest due to the magnet in the medallion.  This would be a feat in an elevator.

The rectangle plastic holder is available for a fee, the lanyard is complimentary. 

It was answered by @skynightfirst response to OP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Keep in mind that you may occasionally have to remove it from your belt to place it on a sensor pad, for instance when leaving or boarding the ship. I also hate lanyards for exactly the same reason, so we use one of the plastic credit-card sized holders instead. They used to be the standard holder but have been replaced by the small round lanyard thingy, which we don't use. The puck sits in the holder in my pocket at all times and I easily extract it to touch the pad or hand to a waiter when needed. There are also holders that attach to your watch band though I found those to be a bit too big. As Elite, we get free blue plastic spring clip holders for free, but those are useless for us so they get disposed of.  Note that all Princess ships have a small "store" selling a range of Medallion accessories once you board.

The idea of putting it into my pocket probably is the best way to go...perhaps even put it in a zip lock bag which may make it easier to grasp...don't like the idea of spending addition $ on other options.   Years ago they issued key cards that I put in my pocket..We kept it on the table close to the door, so just picked it up on our way out the door...thx for the suggestion.

10 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

If you have a pacemaker, check with your cardiologist or device manufacturer. The manufacturer of my husband's told him it was fine if at least 6 inches from ICD, same as with cell phone. He found that the lanyard was plenty long enough to do so.

2 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

just do a search on this board for "medallion holder" and a bunch of posts will pop up with visuals. Basically, pretty much any air tag holder will do.

4 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

Here are a couple ideas for attaching to a belt loop. I have no idea where I got these, but you might have something similar at home.

IMG_20240822_095201054.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, dv71617 said:

Anyone have a picture of that plastic holder with the lanyard ?

Thanks again everyone !

Here’s what I use from Amazon as it just fits on your wrist.  It’s there 24x7 so I always have it with me. 

Tom😀

image.thumb.jpeg.b584b51e2027e3b306abe5e4d4f1e89f.jpeg

Edited by trbarton

Just to clarify OP....  you should complete the medallion order on the app, even if you don't want it sent to your home.  That way, your medallions will be available at the pier check in, saving you time.  Once onboard, guest services will assist with issuing a card.