Fewer Ports on 2026 TA Cruises

In looking at the 2026 spring and fall TA cruise schedules, most (but not all) have fewer port stops than before. Oosterdam looks like the hardest hit although NS is also impacted. 

Any idea why this change was made?  I love lazy sea days but there are already plenty of them on a TA and I like the ports along the northern and southern routes. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

I have noticed this is a recent trend with other cruise lines as well. Fewer ports on TA's.

I was looking at Cunard today transatlantic and it's the same thing. In 16-18 day cruises there are probably about 4 ports.

Edited by shadow 123

Posted (edited)

We are noticing the same thing.  Some long cruises are over 50% sea days, I will vote no with my wallet to that. I cruise to go places and have no interest in being in a civilian navy

one reason may be the larger ships but there is no reason it becomes acceptable for me

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I have been complaining for a few years that the Caribbean cruises have reduced number of ports especially the Rotterdam 9 day and 12 day itineraries.

This is one of the things that appeals to me - I'd rather be at sea, enjoying my cabana in the Retreat, vs wandering around a Caribbean port (been there, done that). My priorities shifted from ports to shipboard life a long time ago, at least in the Caribbean. Cruising somewhere new to me, my priorities would be different 😉

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 10

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

This is one of the things that appeals to me - I'd rather be at sea, enjoying my cabana in the Retreat, vs wandering around a Caribbean port (been there, done that). My priorities shifted from ports to shipboard life a long time ago, at least in the Caribbean. Cruising somewhere new to me, my priorities would be different 😉

Sue/WDW1972

I agree with you, why stop at a Caribbean port.

• Like 2

For us, a transatlantic is a very big deal.  The ports are an integral part of the experience. There is a certain thrill associated with visiting places we've never seen before.  Heck, if I want to sit by a pool, I can stay home.  These cruises aren't cheap, not by a long shot, and we are interested in seeing as much of the world as we can. We have such fond memories of many of those places we've been, and hope to go further with the exploration.  

• Like 4

I understand those not wanting to wander around a Caribbean port but there are so many other places they could stop instead.  I do have a rather disappointing transatlantic cruise coming up, wishing it would stop in the Azores rather than the Caribbean but it fits my schedule. If they were to remove those two ports and get me home earlier that would be fine but then they couldn’t charge me for 14 days, right😬

16 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I have been complaining for a few years that the Caribbean cruises have reduced number of ports especially the Rotterdam 9 day and 12 day itineraries.

We've been noticing that also for some time.  HAL used to have a competitive advantage with its itineraries but that seems to have been disregarded by HAL.  A nine day cruise with only 4 port days basically means the ship is the destination.

More sea days means more onboard spending and as others have mentioned, lower fuel costs as the ships can sail at a much lower speed.

• Like 1

There are some travel blogs talking about many ports in the North Atlantic, Spain, Italy and other places who are boycotting cruise ship visits to their cities.  They claim they just don't want the influx of people landing on their shores affecting their quality of life and not spending enough money there.  Check one of the blog-Gary Baimbridge “Tips for Travelers”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to sound like a snob, but after many years cruising the Caribbean we have been to almost all of the ports. Prefer staying onboard and enjoying an empty ship, a cabana and the excellent service received. Never left the ship during port calls on the last two trips. For us, the ship is the destination.

• Like 1

I suspect this is a business decision by the bean counters. Captive audience.

I predict a day in the not too distant future where Caribbean itineraries only stop at private islands and perhaps one of the mega ports (example; Nassau/St. Thomas/Cozumel). Fuel cost greatly reduced if they just sail from Florida to the Bahamas and CCL has two private islands now in Half Moon Cay (which is getting a pier) and Celebration Key.  MSC is even overnighting at their private island with a bonfire and carnival type party in the evening after sunset and Royal Caribbeans private island boasts the largest pool in the Bahamas. It's coming.

On 8/22/2024 at 7:55 PM, Ready2go11 said:

In looking at the 2026 spring and fall TA cruise schedules, most (but not all) have fewer port stops than before.

I noticed that also......

I guess they have figure out that if folks are choosing a TA, they are fine with/enjoy sea days....

We go on many TA's and have two booked next year.....We like them because:

• we go to a few ports along the way (few is fine)
  • we enjoy sea days
  • we are glad we are not flying
  • the price per day is a deal
  • we arrive either home/Europe rested and ready to hit the ground running

I'm fine with fewer ports on a TA...just keep changing up the offering....We've seen Port Delgado switched out for Bermuda, the shuffle of Gibraltar mixed in with the Spanish ports and different ports switched out in southern England. It seems each TA has some minor port changes so that keeps us happy...wether 3, 4 or 5 ports we are fine w/that on a TA....If we wanted more ports, we would not choose a TA in the first place. 

We missed Port Delgado twice over the years...and it made for 9 days at sea....not a problem.

This past April, we did the Oosterdam TA to Barcelona and then the next cruise which was 10 ports in 11 days.  LOL.  We are glad we had the TA prior to being "off to the races". 

Enjoy the TA's......no matter the port stops!

• Like 2

@FlaMariner  for me I would be happy to do a crossing in 7 days as a replacement for air travel.  But if I am going to pay for a 14 day TA I would like a little variety and a few stops outside of the Caribbean.  I agree though, sailing is better than flying. 

• Like 2