Leaving on Excursions

Posted (edited)

Typically, no.  Prepackaged snacks might be OK.  Certain excursion may provide the option for lunch included, or be timed so that lunch can still be attended on board.  But taking food off the ship is typically prohibited by many of the ports of call - especially fruit.

Eat a big breakfast.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No food or fruit allowed off ship. water bottles ok.    On our cruise last month, 2 people had coffee they were drinking. Not allowed off ship until they either drank the coffee or dumped it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cruisingirl2012 said:

I couldn’t find any information on this. When leaving ship for an excursion, are we able to take food off the ship for snacks such as fruits, sandwiches to take with us?

Violation of health and agriculture restrictions, so not allowed.

A big No   except for maybe a pre packaged granola bar..Plan for an excursion with a snack or lunch stop .

Always a challenge for diabetics but I manage ok

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

I have been able to take protein bars, in their original wrapping, off the ship.  When I feel symptoms of low sugar, I just eat one of these bars.   Hard candy in wrappers, like cough drops or throat lozenges can work in a pinch also.  I am type 2 so YMMV. 

Fresh fruit and vegetables are definitely a no for reasons stated by others. 

• Like 2

Bottled water is ok.   We tried walking off with a coffee and it was a no go.   Have taken off protein/energy bars with no issues.    In the Caribbean we take bars that aren’t chocolate covered as they tend to melt.

it varies from port to port.  Never know what is and isn’t allowed.  Worse thing that can happen is they make you thrash it. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

Also,  don't bring any fresh  fruit off if you return to US ports. Saw a woman picked off the line into Port Ev and given grief over an Apple!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

Please explain?

Easy enough, even for a Canadian.

The idea is that 'the worst thing that can happen' is not that you'll be required to trash fruits and vegetables brought ashore but a hefty fine can also be levied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hcat said:

Also,  don't bring any fresh  fruit off if you return to US ports. Saw a woman picked off the line into Port Ev and given grief over an Apple!

Just to add, they likely were just conforming to USDA regulations.  As you pointed out earlier regarding ports of call, it is not advised due to similar restrictions here as with other countries. JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, PelicanLvr said:

That theory can be very costly in New Zealand! 

You are correct.  It is not advisable to try and sneak something off of the ship.  My experience was walking off with a cup of coffee from Cafe al Bacio.   The security guard at the checkout station told me that it wasn’t allowed off of the ship.    In most ports the regulations will be posted in the daily paper.  

Even though you may not have to go thru customs in the ports that you are visiting I have seen guards with dogs hanging around.   The dogs can sniff out banned items.  ‘

When in doubt don’t do it.   There are always stores, or restaurants available if you need to eat or drink  something when off of the ship.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

On 8/25/2024 at 7:01 AM, hcat said:

A big No   except for maybe a pre packaged granola bar..Plan for an excursion with a snack or lunch stop .

As a person with T1D, I bring a large number of wrapped and sealed granola bars, fruit snacks and glucose powder. None of these have been an issue for me and are things I must have with me to treat low blood sugar. 

• Like 1

For it being a "hard no" relative to folks' responses above, I have to say it has been done by us in almost every port across NA, SA, Europe, and Aus/NZ.  Fruit does seem to be a regular "don't go through customs with" item, but regarding sandwiches (and definitely pre-packaged bars/food), I've never seen or heard of those being banned (or confiscated).

So, while the consensus here seems to be don't do it, I will say YMMV - a lot.  And definitely don't depend on it being part of the daily planner briefing.  I've looked back over many of ours and see no mention at all of any "don't bring ashore" warnings.  I did see one warning about Molde Norway stating unaccompanied minors are not permitted (a first I've seen that).  I might dig up my Aus/NZ planners and see if they're more explicit in their rules (like Hawaii can be). Fruits and seeds, I definitely can see some ports having issues with, but a cookie or a sandwich? Tougher to suss out a rationale - especially within a border or zone (ie Italy, or the EU or the Schengen).

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 7:25 AM, Cruisingirl2012 said:

I couldn’t find any information on this. When leaving ship for an excursion, are we able to take food off the ship for snacks such as fruits, sandwiches to take with us?

Only commercially pre packaged items like granola bars or Kind bars, never fruit or sandwiches 

In Auckland New Zealand airport, a little sniffer dog signaled by my woven cloth handbag where I had carried some muffins two days earlier. Even though there was nothing at all in it currently, that dog stopped and signaled each time he passed me by till I could leave the area. Very embarrassing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

For it being a "hard no" relative to folks' responses above, I have to say it has been done by us in almost every port across NA, SA, Europe, and Aus/NZ.  Fruit does seem to be a regular "don't go through customs with" item, but regarding sandwiches (and definitely pre-packaged bars/food), I've never seen or heard of those being banned (or confiscated).

So, while the consensus here seems to be don't do it, I will say YMMV - a lot.  And definitely don't depend on it being part of the daily planner briefing.  I've looked back over many of ours and see no mention at all of any "don't bring ashore" warnings.  I did see one warning about Molde Norway stating unaccompanied minors are not permitted (a first I've seen that).  I might dig up my Aus/NZ planners and see if they're more explicit in their rules (like Hawaii can be). Fruits and seeds, I definitely can see some ports having issues with, but a cookie or a sandwich? Tougher to suss out a rationale - especially within a border or zone (ie Italy, or the EU or the Schengen).

After cruising to more than 20 countries in North America, South America, Europe, Scandinavia, Australia and New Zealand I have never been permitted to take any fresh food including pastries, sandwiches, fruit or meat, off the ship. Most countries allow pre packaged food such as granola bars but some countries such as Australia and New Zealand are very strict about what food can be taken off and large fines can and are imposed if caught. The rules are bio security regulations to protect a country's agricultural industry.

I have never been on a cruise when if there are any regulations regarding food being taken off the ship that the rules have not been in the daily planner, along with announcements and signs at the gangway. I checked the daily planners for my last two cruise destinations with Princess and Celebrity and the rules are clearly stated.

From a New Zealand cruise.

IMG_20240827_080241.thumb.jpg.2fd2b1d5c8020ea440dd6f78203a70ee.jpg

From a recent Europe cruise when in Italy.

IMG_20240827_080401.thumb.jpg.9d5016c68d7a666e228dd4a9bf8ed7da.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

but regarding sandwiches (and definitely pre-packaged bars/food), I've never seen or heard of those being banned (or confiscated).

I watched a man stand at the end of the gangway to get on the ship eating a plate of food that he purchased ashore and wanted to bring back aboard.  He was not happen when he was given the choice of either eating it before coming on board or throwing it away.  He stood there and ate it.  

i also have not seen any issues with pre-packaged, and by that I mean factory sealed not simply wrapped in cellophane, food items.  It just never crossed my mind to bring food aboard a ship, other than the snacks my DW insist on bringing,  I mean every time you turn around on a cruise ship they are trying to feed you.  

Now my six pack of Diet Pepsi - that's coming with me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I watched a man stand at the end of the gangway to get on the ship eating a plate of food that he purchased ashore and wanted to bring back aboard.  He was not happen when he was given the choice of either eating it before coming on board or throwing it away.  He stood there and ate it.  

Happen to me one day in Hobart Australia. Been picking raspberries whilst ashore and had some left that we hadn’t eaten. Ended up having a raspberry picnic at the end of the gangway before boarding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

From a New Zealand cruise.

I was expecting the Aus/NZ (and Hawaii) cruises to be the most likely to have these explicit warnings about food being brought into port. It is why I wanted to see if I could dig mine up. I am sort of surprised to see it for the Italian port, but it is nice to see it in there.

To me, this sort of is the angle I was coming at for this question - "Can I LEAVE the ship with food for an day in port?" - to which my experience (maybe breaking all sorts of rules) is YMMV and it has not been an issue for me. Luck or legit, taking a sandwich made at the buffet OFF the ship has never been met with any sort of challenge (or warning of not to do it).  I might be not seeing the warnings in the departure area, but if I'm not, I can imagine most folks aren't either.

The nice part about @PurpleTraveller's examples are that they do indicate Celebrity (and Princess) will announce port restrictions in their daily planners, so the two cruises of my own I quickly glanced over (a Southern Carib and a Norway Fjords) were both free of ANY warnings (except unaccompanied minors).  What does that mean? Who knows? Either X isn't "worried" about passengers disembarking in ports with food, or maybe the ports aren't worried about it, or it's not forbidden, or some other reason. 

So, to the OP, I think the answer to your question remains murky.  I think anecdotally, we have examples of it being mentioned explicitly, or examples of folks BOARDING the ship, or folks at the AIRPORT, but as a "hard and fast" - and enforced - rule, I'm still hoping to see that more explicitly explained.