No more MTG luncheon, only cocktail party

CruzinNoony

2 minutes ago, geoherb said:

We had champagne on the bridge when we took the Ultimate Ship's Tour. The officers did not join us in drinking it. And photos weren't allowed during the tour.

That's a different twist.

During all of our bridge tours we were never told about not taking photo's.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 555 said:

That's a different twist.

During all of our bridge tours we were never told about not taking photo's.

I did an Ultimate Ships Tour on Queen Elizabeth in June and we had to sign an affidavit that we wouldn't take any photos on the tour and in fact had to leave phones in our cabins or at Guest Services before the tour started.  So no photos is a thing on Cunard, at least.  Also, no champagne on the bridge.

19 hours ago, memoak said:

Actually after chatting with someone at our table a few weeks ago we all agreed to book a 16 day cruise in January. I do believe chatting with others can produce revenue

If you are invited to the most traveled lunch, chances are you already have future cruises booked. No need to prime the pump.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Right, but we're talking about the "Most Travelled."  If these people wanted to switch allegiances, they would have done so a long time ago.  They have multiple hundred or thousands of days with Princess.  They are going anywhere unless, like I said, illness or mortality gets the best of them.  Given the sheer number of days alone, many times reaching into the thousands, Princess has this base wrapped around their fingers.  This group is worried about losing their mini bars and how the loyalty accelerator will dilute their status.  As the saying goes, "it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks."

Sorry to disagree with your analysis. We have been cruising since 1986. We don't only cruise Princess. However, we still have made 1st, 2nd & 3rd MTG on Princess many times. 

It really depends on the itinerary and passengers. 

We have seen non Elite passengers as MTG.

In fact, people on this forum have even said they were invited to the MTG luncheon and were surprised due to their lack of days. 

12 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Right, but we're talking about the "Most Travelled."  If these people wanted to switch allegiances, they would have done so a long time ago.  They have multiple hundred or thousands of days with Princess.  They are going anywhere unless, like I said, illness or mortality gets the best of them.  Given the sheer number of days alone, many times reaching into the thousands, Princess has this base wrapped around their fingers.  This group is worried about losing their mini bars and how the loyalty accelerator will dilute their status.  As the saying goes, "it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks."

It's a different generation who buy into these loyalty programs. My generation (Boomer) and my parents generation were brought up to be brand loyal.  I don't see these programs lasting unless they really start offering what people want like free WiFi. These programs are designed to make you spend money with discounts for shops and 50% off WiFi. What these cruise lines should be focusing on is those who work remotely and can very well work on a ship. That's the next generation of cruisers.  Virgin Voyages actually promotes free WiFi in their ads for those who can't get away from the job. How nice would it be to work all day and not have to come home and cook and clean and actually enjoy a night out every night for a week. If you grab a last minute deal it could be cheaper than staying home. Itinerary wouldn't matter since you would be working.

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

We had champagne on the bridge when we took the Ultimate Ship's Tour. The officers did not join us in drinking it. And photos weren't allowed during the tour.

Been on the bridge before Covid. Can't remember if champagne was a toast on the bridge. However, we were allowed to take pictures, no camcording. The Bridge tour was free, by invitation only. 

Things are sure changing and what was free is now $150 or more. Galley, Behind the scenes, etc. $$$

Never be the same. The times are changing and us Seniors have seen the Best of Times!

Happy Cruising!

Currently on Emerald, lead Future cruise consultant said they have NOT received any communication to stop having MTG lunch. One is planned for the next voyage starting tomorrow. 

You would think if it was corporate, why hasn’t a communication been sent ‘fleetwide’ ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, asctony said:

Sorry to disagree with your analysis. We have been cruising since 1986. We don't only cruise Princess. However, we still have made 1st, 2nd & 3rd MTG on Princess many times. 

It really depends on the itinerary and passengers. 

We have seen non Elite passengers as MTG.

In fact, people on this forum have even said they were invited to the MTG luncheon and were surprised due to their lack of days. 

Perhaps this is why they are discontinuing it.  Elite is150 days. If you have to go to the bottom of the barrel to get attendees then what's the point?

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Currently on Emerald, lead Future cruise consultant said they have NOT received any communication to stop having MTG lunch. One is planned for the next voyage starting tomorrow. 

You would think if it was corporate, why hasn’t a communication been sent ‘fleetwide’ ?

I heard the same from someone on another ship.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Perhaps this is why they are discontinuing it.  Elite is150 days. If you have to go to the bottom of the barrel to get attendees then what's the point?

I considered that PR and a kind gesture. I would not consider anyone as 'the bottom of the barrel.' Another term I think is disrespectful is 'Steerage Class!' Common term used by others who cruise in Sanctuary, Haven, etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wallyj said:

If we all believed everything people post on here we know after our 2,000 cruise on Princess we get a free cruise in the Sanctuary. Yes, I heard that through the grapevine! LOL

EVEN GOT A FREE GLASS OF WINE!

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

There's a big difference in the number of days required to be MTG on a milk run 7-day Caribbean/Alaska cruise and a repositioning or other longer duration cruise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, asctony said:

I considered that PR and a kind gesture. I would not consider anyone as 'the bottom of the barrel.' Another term I think is disrespectful is 'Steerage Class!' Common term used by others who cruise in Sanctuary, Haven, etc.

Steerage class is used in jest but I know many are easily offended these days. As far a good PR, spin it anyway you want but evidently it's not working if they can't even get Elites to go.

3 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

There's a big difference in the number of days required to be MTG on a milk run 7-day Caribbean/Alaska cruise and a repositioning or other longer duration cruise.

I live in Florida there are many here who are elite and who jump on those last minute milk runs.

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Steerage class is used in jest but I know many are easily offended these days. As far a good PR, spin it anyway you want but evidently it's not working if they can't even get Elites to go.

Some people find fault with everything.

Examples: I don't want to:

- hobnob with the crew. 

- listen to people brag about how many cruises they have taken.

- sit with other people.

Have you read the stats on ship capacity & new builds? Proof that cruise lines are filling up now! I'm fact they are even overbooking.

36 minutes ago, asctony said:

- hobnob with the crew. 

- sit with other people.

Have you read the stats on ship capacity & new builds? Proof that cruise lines are filling up now! I'm fact they are even overbooking.

This is exactly why they don't need the PR to stroke passengers who are already sold and not leaving. Not to mention I have only experienced passenger interests with the crew here on Cruise Critic. I have many friends who cruise frequently and if you were to ask them who the Captain or Cruise Director was they don't have a clue. Some don't even know their loyalty status.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, asctony said:

- hobnob with the crew. 

- sit with other people.

Examples: I don't want to

- hobnob with the crew. 

- sit with other people.

That pretty much describes us. That's why we have always requested a table for two and a vegetarian menu when we have received an invitation to the MTG. All, but once they have met the request.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TRLD said:

To put things in perspective cruiselines on average pay $15 -18 per passenger per day on food, including for the crew. The actual cost of putting on the luncheon is not that much. A cocktail party might cost them more than the luncheon. 

The cocktail party leads to more waste as well.  They have that lovely spread of nice appetizers and at least in our experience most remain at the end as folks are heading to dinner after the event.  At least at the luncheon you are served each course so there isn't any more waste than one would have after dining in the MDR, maybe even less since the food can be so much better at the luncheons.

• Like 4

On 8/25/2024 at 7:37 PM, CruzinNoony said:

What will it be next?  Laundry?  

They have removed one of the best benefits to trading the mini bar, so I would expect they will limit laundry to once a sailing or altogether and just give you tokens to use the self service machines.

1 minute ago, kywildcatfanone said:

They have removed one of the best benefits to trading the mini bar, so I would expect they will limit laundry to once a sailing or altogether and just give you tokens to use the self service machines.

Huh??  Are you saying you couldn't swap your mini bar items for ones you prefer?

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

On the recent cruises we have been on cutoff has been atleast 500 days, except for the vancouver to/from Whittier where there are relatively few elite on board. Saw it down around 200 on the 2 of those we did.