Taormina questions

Posted (edited)

We are trying to plan our day in Taormina on our upcoming Oosterdam cruise. We have heard the port itself is not in the nicest area.

We wanted to know the best way to get into town without taking a formal excursion. Also, any tips or suggestions on where to go and what to see while we are there. Our port is Giardini Naxos.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by iowacruiser
More info

57 minutes ago, iowacruiser said:

We are trying to plan our day in Taormina on our upcoming Oosterdam cruise. We have heard the port itself is not in the nicest area.

We wanted to know the best way to get into town without taking a formal excursion. Also, any tips or suggestions on where to go and what to see while we are there. Our port is Giardini Naxos.

Thanks in advance.

Also if you have time, make your way up to Castelmola. We enjoyed our time there as a side trip from Taormina.

1 minute ago, iowacruiser said:

I went there first. Not much information on Taormina.

We took a tour from Messina which was our port in Sicily. we were bussed to Taormina and then did a walking tour all the way to the Greek Theater, I can’t remember if lunch was included but it was a very nice day with beautiful scenery including views of Mount Etna.

1 hour ago, iowacruiser said:

Thanks in advance.

Well I believe you have gotten wrong information about Giardini Naxos. It’s a lovely area. There are taxis readily available once you are off the tender. There was a sign posting prices. I didn’t go to Taormina because I was on a winery tour so can’t help with that. 

When we went to Taormina our port was Catania.  We took the HAL  transfer to Taormina and walked up to the Roman Theater. We had lots of time to just soak it all in, as we were on our own.  It was a wonderful day, one I'll never forget.  If you can get there you'll love it.

Taormina2.jpg.12c9c84c5f568f5e38e20bea5766738a.jpg

• Like 3

It was one of our favorite ports when we were there last Sept.-we got a local driver ( Luca ) who was from Naxos-he took us up to the town and the views were awesome-we called him when were ready to leave and he picked us up and took us around Naxos where he grew up and dropped us off at one of his favorite restaurants-it is a beautiful area.

51 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Well I believe you have gotten wrong information about Giardini Naxos. It’s a lovely area. There are taxis readily available once you are off the tender. There was a sign posting prices. I didn’t go to Taormina because I was on a winery tour so can’t help with that. 

Your right Sharon.. I think the person who told us that was speaking about Messina.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pirate cruiser said:

It was one of our favorite ports when we were there last Sept.-we got a local driver ( Luca ) who was from Naxos-he took us up to the town and the views were awesome-we called him when were ready to leave and he picked us up and took us around Naxos where he grew up and dropped us off at one of his favorite restaurants-it is a beautiful area.

Thanks Piratecruiser,,

Can't help with your questions but wanted to mention that I had the BEST gelato in Taormina!  Mind you, this was years ago...  There was a gelato place in the main square that was quite obvious - it's not that one.  As one heads east to the gate, the gelato shop was halfway down, on the left.  I'm sorry I don't know the name.  Our local guide recommended it.

We asked taxi driver how much, when we arrived up town he wanted more saying he quoted wrong price.   He didn’t get the extra. Be beware.   Loved the shopping up there.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RClark6369@aol.com said:

What about Palermo and Messina ?    Anyone have experience with either of these ports and "MUST" sees ?      Mt Etna but what else ?

Thanks

Rex

The Palermo Catacombs were, ummm, interesting. We went there on our walk from the port.

Does anyone have an idea how long the wait is generally for tender tickets at this port.  We sometimes use our HIA excursion credit in tender ports to avoid the lines and delay

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tigermad said:

Will there be much open in Taormina on a Sunday does anyone know? That’s when my ship docks in Messina. 

@Tigermad  I would definitely get out of Messina on a Sunday. I have been to Messina twice but never been to Taormina but so wish I had taken the excursion when I had opportunity. We were in Messina on a Sunday the first time we visited and the town was shut down & we opted for the HoHo. On Sunday there was little to see and do except the clock show. I left wishing I had gone to Taormina (at the time $27 with Roll Call, and upon arrival taxi drivers were offering to take us for 25 EUR for the day, as well) or Mt Etna ($59 ship's tour). The next time we went to Mt Etna and had a wonderful time.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 11:13 AM, iowacruiser said:

We wanted to know the best way to get into town without taking a formal excursion.

We were there in April on the Oosterdam (awesome cruise, awesome port).

We were a group of 8. 

We took a taxi.  It was a van that took us up to Taormina.  The taxi driver also agreed to pick us up where he dropped us off at a pre-decided pick up time.  And he did and he was on time.  He was fine with us not paying for the entire trip until we were back at the ship.  

I don't recall the price but I do not recall it being high or a big deal. 

There were plenty of taxis both at the ship and at the edge of Taormina. 

We had a fun time walking thru the town......Her Majesty enjoyed the shopping....I managed to enjoy a cappacchino and cannoli....fun times. Enjoy.