Blood Donors

ScriptOhio

Posted (edited)

I just got back from a cruise on the Enchanted Princes (10 Aug 2024 - 24 Aug 2024). During the cruise they had a "medical emergency announcement" asking for a blood donor with specific type of blood. However, to be a candidate for a blood donation, you had to have your "blood donor card". This is actually the second time that this has happened on a Princess Cruise that I was on. 

Just sayin': Requests for a blood donation on a cruise are extremely rare but they actually have happened. If you are a blood donor and would be willing to help out in an emergency you should be sure to take your blood donor card on Princess Cruises, etc. 

Edited by ScriptOhio
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I wonder if they would accept a downloaded copy?

Saying that, we don't get cards here in Florida.

I'll have to ask for one next month.  

8 minutes ago, 555 said:

I wonder if they would accept a downloaded copy?

Saying that, we don't get cards here in Florida.

I'll have to ask for one next month.  

Isn't it the Red Cross that gives the cards, at least for those who donate through them? I would think they have one policy about giving cards nationwide,

There was a call for blood on our first ever cruise. That evening I saw one of the medics and (out of curiosity) asked him if the call was successful. He replied ‘Madam, there was a line down the stairs from the deck above’. 

All credit to those who responded. Sadly, I can’t donate ☹️.

• Like 6

Wow, I never would have thought to bring a blood donor card.  I don't even have a physical copy anymore but I was just able to log into my Red Cross account and request a copy - you can either download it or have it mailed.  Thanks for bringing this up, I'll be sure to pack my card for my next cruise!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Meer said:

There was a call for blood on our first ever cruise. That evening I saw one of the medics and (out of curiosity) asked him if the call was successful. He replied ‘Madam, there was a line down the stairs from the deck above’. 

yes - on the Enchanted princess we heard they were turning lots of people away they had so many volunteers!

• Like 3

I have an app on my phone from the Red Cross that has a digital copy of my donor card.  Unfortunately, can't donate any more, but it has my blood type and other useful information.

Search for "Blood Donor American Red Cross" in the Apple app store (sorry, don't know if other countries have a similar app.)

6 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

These occasions are what we need to remind ourselves of when we've had a few too many interactions with.... ahem...@&#%ers in one day. Most people are in fact GOOD 🙂

This is not a common occurrence on a cruise ship, but it does happen.  Thank you for the PSA.  I have heard more stories than I can remember from donors who didn't have their card with them.

Glad to see others step up to the occasion.

Safe travels everyone.

6 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

yes - on the Enchanted princess we heard they were turning lots of people away they had so many volunteers!

Were you on the Enchanted Princess sailing that the OP was on? August 10-24. We were on that same sailing and heard the announcement. I wasn't qualified, because I am A+ and they wanted O+ or O-. If you were onboard, I am glad you heard they had several volunteers. I will say, when donating blood at home, they tell you to not drink alcohol for 48 hours prior to donation. On a cruise, I don't think I would ever meet that specific requirement...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Were you on the Enchanted Princess sailing that the OP was on? August 10-24. We were on that same sailing and heard the announcement. I wasn't qualified, because I am A+ and they wanted O+ or O-. If you were onboard, I am glad you heard they had several volunteers. I will say, when donating blood at home, they tell you to not drink alcohol for 48 hours prior to donation. On a cruise, I don't think I would ever meet that specific requirement...

yes I was on the sailing, and have really enjoyed reading your live blog!  I was chasing 3 small kids, so it was nice reading about the things that were available that I missed (for us the fact that the kids actually had a good time on this vacation was enough to make it the closest to a. success we've achieved).

There are many organizations in the US that collect blood besides the Red Cross.  I have donated to Treasure Coast Blood Bank in So Fla and Medic in Tn . There are two in my current area. One Blood has never issued me a physical card nor have I seen one online. I suppose I could log in and show my blood type and date of last donation. 

• Like 1

We had this happen on a cruise a few years ago.  They made the announcement about 7 or 8am.  I actually met the man who donated a few days later.  Something I wouldn't have ever thought about, but it did happen for us.

We hear calls for blood on every 10 cruises or so.  There was a request for O- on the Majestic about 3 weeks ago.  So, maybe not so rare but also something you don’t hear about happening really often. 
PS .. if no drinking within 48 hours, I am out.  I asked at my donor site and they said, that wouldn’t matter, they just want to sober enough to give consent. 

8 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We hear calls for blood on every 10 cruises or so.  There was a request for O- on the Majestic about 3 weeks ago.  So, maybe not so rare but also something you don’t hear about happening really often. 
PS .. if no drinking within 48 hours, I am out.  I asked at my donor site and they said, that wouldn’t matter, they just want to sober enough to give consent. 

4-8 hours?  oh, wait, nevermind

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

True consent is the most important factor. It's not that you're banned from drinking, it's more that alcohol wil have a greater effect in the immediate and you may feel absolutely lousy the following day. A glass of wine with dinner eg. would be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1