Is it necessary to have to have the app?

mek

Good to know - I'm not technically challenged, but I'm also one of those people who doesn't want to carry my phone around with me on a ship. The only thing I use it for on vacation is to take pictures.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Not only do I not have the "app" I don't even have a "smart phone"!!

And I thought I was the last person left in this world without one.

Edited by yakcruiser
edit
  • Like 1

I have the app installed on my phone myself, and I actually use it frequently when on a cruise. I find it very convenient to be able to check charges on my ship account, and to have mobile access to "What is going on?" onboard, instead of carrying around the paper version of the Freestyle Daily. It also lists practical information about the various ports on the itinerary, and details of what I have booked day by day (speciality restaurants, shore excursions, etc).

Yes, you can absolutely "survive" perfectly fine on a cruise without the NCL app while. But personally I find there to be more "pro's" than "con's" to have it installed on my phone. 

Edited by TrumpyNor
spelling errors...
  • Like 1

I use the deck map a lot, especially when just getting on a ship that I’m not familiar with. We’re on the Joy since yesterday and I’ve probably used that five times already. Obviously you can also just read the guide by the elevators, but I like to know that I am headed to like “7th deck forward” before wandering around aimlessly.

22 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I use the deck map a lot, especially when just getting on a ship that I’m not familiar with. We’re on the Joy since yesterday and I’ve probably used that five times already. Obviously you can also just read the guide by the elevators, but I like to know that I am headed to like “7th deck forward” before wandering around aimlessly.

I'll be on Joy 9/25.  How is the ship?

I don't sail on NCL very often - last time was in 2010 when Epic was new.

On 9/2/2024 at 9:40 PM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Not only do I not have the "app" I don't even have a "smart phone"!!

On 9/2/2024 at 11:08 PM, yakcruiser said:

And I thought I was the last person left in this world without one.

I should add "Dinosaur" as part of my CC name.

You two are not alone. I am there with you.

I use the app to peruse the Freestyle Daily; I'm ALWAYS forgetting to bring along a copy with me while I'm wandering about the ship.  I've used it to change/make/cancel dinner reservations a few times.  We do NOT use the 'chat' function although with a lot of people in a cruise party I could see how that feature could be very useful.

So In answer to OP's original question you certainly do NOT need the app.  I could live nicely w/o it.  I does make makes things a tad easier.aboard ship, however.

One of the little things I enjoy about being on a ship is not having to carry a purse around.  A lot of women's clothing does not have usable pockets.  I like the freedom of turning my phone off and leaving it in the cabin's safe except for when we go ashore.  Just don't want to have to carry a phone around since that would pretty much mean having to carry a purse.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what features the new app will have, however with the old app (and mostly current one), I have no need to use it while on a cruise. I do use it, but it's not because of need. It's because it's there and I hope something useful will come out of my use of it. I use it for two things:

1. Check on my plans, including dining reservations, entertainment reservations, and booked shore excursions.

2. Take a look at the Freestyle Daily when I need to too quickly take a seat in a small chamber room. If this happens, I don't have a moment to grab the paper Freestyle Daily, but I likely already have my phone. 

But, neither use cases above are needs and I'd not suffer at all if I didn't have the app. I'm not one who refuses to use my phone when on a cruise, either. In fact, I'll peruse the NY Times, listen to podcasts, watch Reels/Shorts, update social media, and message friends using the ship's WiFi (not through the app). So, it's just that there are not really any useful features in the app, as it is now. I'm excited (but holding back my expectations) with the release of the new app a few days ago.

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not sure what features the new app will have, however with the old app (and mostly current one), I have no need to use it while on a cruise. I do use it, but it's not because of need. It's because it's there and I hope something useful will come out of my use of it. I use it for two things:

1. Check on my plans, including dining reservations, entertainment reservations, and booked shore excursions.

2. Take a look at the Freestyle Daily when I need to too quickly take a seat in a small chamber room. If this happens, I don't have a moment to grab the paper Freestyle Daily, but I likely already have my phone. 

But, neither use cases above are needs and I'd not suffer at all if I didn't have the app. I'm not one who refuses to use my phone when on a cruise, either. In fact, I'll peruse the NY Times, listen to podcasts, watch Reels/Shorts, update social media, and message friends using the ship's WiFi (not through the app). So, it's just that there are not really any useful features in the app, as it is now. I'm excited (but holding back my expectations) with the release of the new app a few days ago.

What shows require reservations?  I'm used to doing that on Royal, but as I previously mentioned, I'm not a frequent cruiser on NCL.

13 hours ago, mek said:

What shows require reservations?  I'm used to doing that on Royal, but as I previously mentioned, I'm not a frequent cruiser on NCL.

It depends on the cruise and what entertainment is offered. Typically, it's whatever Broadway-style show is onboard. On Joy, Elements has generally offered reservations prior to the show. Otherwise, I think only Wheel of Fortune will require reservations (maybe) once you board. It does change, seemingly with no notice, so check back. 

Onboard entertainment cannot be reserved until 21 days prior to boarding, so check back much closer to your cruise and those that have recently sailed Joy may be able to give you better information. 

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

It depends on the cruise and what entertainment is offered. Typically, it's whatever Broadway-style show is onboard. On Joy, Elements has generally offered reservations prior to the show. Otherwise, I think only Wheel of Fortune will require reservations (maybe) once you board. It does change, seemingly with no notice, so check back. 

Onboard entertainment cannot be reserved until 21 days prior to boarding, so check back much closer to your cruise and those that have recently sailed Joy may be able to give you better information. 

Thanks - I sail on the 25th, so I should be able to check the web site and see if that's necessary for any shows.

• Like 1

Just off Prima today from an 11-night Northern Europe trip.  As others have said, the app is definitely not required but I did find it handy for checking the Freestyle Dailies, reviewing menus (available for pretty much everything except main dining), etc.

I was traveling with a group of friends, and we also found the app messaging feature to be very useful for keeping in touch and sending group messages to confirm dinner plans, etc. without using any internet minutes.  Yes, there was an annoying, one-time $9.95 upcharge to enable it but, for us it was worth it.  It was a little glitchy when reconnecting after being off the ship but it generally worked well (a quick "I'm back on the ship" message after reconnecting got around the issue).

Regarding show reservations, I was never able to make a reservation for the one show that required it (Bossa Nova Beat) through the app but had no trouble getting a reservation through my cabin TV.  Go figure.   

40 minutes ago, zqvol said:

As NCL is currently in the process of switching to a new app, make sure you have the one your ship is using. If in doubt download them both. 

Or neither as the app is not necessary. 😉

• Like 2