Is the Beyond Pool Deck Very Crowded?

mnocket

We were on Beyond last January in the Caribbean and one sea day morning I went out to make a sunrise picture at 6:30 and saw 90% of the loungers pool side and above already had towels and books on them. No people just stuff

49 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

We were on Beyond last January in the Caribbean and one sea day morning I went out to make a sunrise picture at 6:30 and saw 90% of the loungers pool side and above already had towels and books on them. No people just stuff

That’s the time the ship should have someone monitoring the pool areas and don’t allow people to reserve space and then go off and do other activities. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have done both Retreat and smaller ship.  Sunny sea days areas directly around the pool are crowded.  

plus activities, loud music loop, djs..

It's the party place on  E class

By comparison at Sandals AIC..they have an active pool area.. dj  . fun.. games..  AND a quiet pool.. works great!

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

The CHOGS are the real problem I seem to notice on the Celebrity cruises I'm on, they put their crap on a lounger and vanish for hours.  I love E-class' pool deck and pool its huge, so lots of CHOGS.

I assume "CHOG" means chair hogs? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, IDL said:

That’s the time the ship should have someone monitoring the pool areas and don’t allow people to reserve space and then go off and do other activities. 

Like having breakfast or sleeping in……

9 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

Like having breakfast or sleeping in……

Exactly if they are having breakfast or sleeping in they aren’t at the pool and should tie up space for those who are there. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IDL said:

Exactly!  If the pool opens at x:00, they should have a crew member there telling people that arrive early to do this, sorry not available until 15 minutes prior to opening time.  Then enforce it.

This has been my reaction to CHOGS (love that name) for our past few cruises, both in The Retreat and the regular pool. Works every time. 

On every Celebrity cruise, I’ll wait the required 45 minutes then remove their belongings and give them to one of the pool attendants. When they return and ask where their belongings were, I tell them the pool attendant has them. I usually get a dirty look, but I just smile and wish them a good day.  One couple I did this to 3 times on the same cruise. They finally got the point. I hate entitled people. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, styles27 said:

If you feel that way why even consider going on a mega ship with thousands of people?

I’m not being facetious but it sounds like this is not going to be enjoyable for you unless you book the retreat and even then there’s no guarantee that the pool deck won’t be busy. 

I realize your question wasn't directed at me, but it could have been - and it's a fair question deserving of an answer.

I used to sail on Celebrity fairly often pre-Covid.  However, I became disillusioned when Celebrity started making cuts to their offering post-Covid and decided to give smaller, more upscale cruise lines a try (think Regent, Windstar, etc).  I found that I really preferred the smaller ships and haven't sailed on Celebrity since.  However, when I received the "taxes & fees only" offer, I thought maybe it would be an inexpensive way to see one of the new E-Class ships, just to see what they were like. I'd heard that the visual design of the public areas was really something to see.  The major drawbacks to the offer were that these were Caribbean sailings, and it was for interior cabins. Neither really appeal to me, but this would be a case where the ship would be the destination.  Hence, my question about over-crowding.  If I'm going to often find myself fighting crowds, I won't enjoy myself - but I'm not sure whether this would be the case or not.  That's the reason for my post.  Can someone who hates crowds, lines, etc., find happiness on E-Class ships outside of the Retreat? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

I realize your question wasn't directed at me, but it could have been - and it's a fair question deserving of an answer.

I used to sail on Celebrity fairly often pre-Covid.  However, I became disillusioned when Celebrity started making cuts to their offering post-Covid and decided to give smaller, more upscale cruise lines a try (think Regent, Windstar, etc).  I found that I really preferred the smaller ships and haven't sailed on Celebrity since.  However, when I received the "taxes & fees only" offer, I thought maybe it would be an inexpensive way to see one of the new E-Class ships, just to see what they were like. I'd heard that the visual design of the public areas was really something to see.  The major drawbacks to the offer were that these were Caribbean sailings, and it was for interior cabins. Neither really appeal to me, but this would be a case where the ship would be the destination.  Hence, my question about over-crowding.  If I'm going to often find myself fighting crowds, I won't enjoy myself - but I'm not sure whether this would be the case or not.  That's the reason for my post.  Can someone who hates crowds, lines, etc., find happiness on E-Class ships outside of the Retreat? 

Well said and insightful…in my case, the answer is no, and even the Retreat likely does not compare well relative to the smaller ships of Silversea, Regent, and Seabourn. 

Edited by Syd58
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Syd58 said:

Well said and insightful…in my case, the answer is no, and even the Retreat likely does not compare well relative to the smaller ships of Silversea, Regent, and Seabourn. 

It obviously comes down to personal preference and expectations.  We cruise on Oceana and enjoy that experience for what it offers (and doesn’t offer) and we also enjoy the E-ship experience though we don’t hang out at the pool in either case.  Can certainly agree that an over crowed pool area and an over crowded pool itself it not appealing but there are plenty of things to do on an E ship and a crowed pool area (that I avoid) is not a deal killer for me and not as important as other factors such as price (value), itinerary, food, entertainment, cabin. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Marie51 said:

Please tell me your experience on a small river cruise. My son and daughter-in-law want to do that next so I’m trying to gather information about it. Thank you.

We cruised the Mekong river with Avalon.  Now it is a very small ship.  Believe it had 40 cabins.

On this itinerary there was one shore excursion at each stop and you had to do it if you wanted to leave the ship.  The stops did not lend themselves to places where you could visit on your own or organize a local tour (small towns in Vietnam) - so it's a bit different than a European river cruise

There was one option for dining, the communal dining room.  Set times for all meals. Buffet for breakfast and lunch, a la carte for dinner. drinks were "included" - but really that meant that there was a happy hour cocktail every day from 5-7 and 1 red and 1 white wine included with dinner. Everything else was extra charge and they were pushing wine bottles and specialty cocktails.

No entertainment.  No activities on the ship. No room service. 

We also had a COVID scare which made it very clear that this line had not planned for issues and every day our cruise director had to wait for a call from his boss to determine what to do. 

6 hours ago, mnocket said:

I feel you should give it a try. If the ship is your destination, you should be able to enjoy the port days with less crowding in the pool area and on sea days check out other spaces - eden for example. Enjoy the Bistro for lunch - less crowded because of a small uncharge. Plenty to enjoy if you have not sailed Celebrity in a while and a very different product compared to years ago and E class is a change from the older ships. 

Choose a cabin near where you think you will spend time because the elevators may be very crowded. Go early to shows in Eden or the theater if you want a good seat. Seats in the martini bar upper level area are easy find and great for people watching and being watched.

I have sailed in the Retreat on E class 3 times in a RS and PH and, for the price of the Retreat, I would choose Seabourn or Silversea every time over the E class experience. However, this December I have booked the Apex to try out a IV cabin. I am looking forward to the non retreat IV cabin experience on a Caribbean sailing and I will mostly stay on the ship.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

We cruised the Mekong river with Avalon.  Now it is a very small ship.  Believe it had 40 cabins.

On this itinerary there was one shore excursion at each stop and you had to do it if you wanted to leave the ship.  The stops did not lend themselves to places where you could visit on your own or organize a local tour (small towns in Vietnam) - so it's a bit different than a European river cruise

There was one option for dining, the communal dining room.  Set times for all meals. Buffet for breakfast and lunch, a la carte for dinner. drinks were "included" - but really that meant that there was a happy hour cocktail every day from 5-7 and 1 red and 1 white wine included with dinner. Everything else was extra charge and they were pushing wine bottles and specialty cocktails.

We also had a COVID scare which made it very clear that this line had not planned for issues and every day our cruise director had to wait for a call from his boss to determine what to do. 

Sorry you had a terrible time and just like ocean cursing there are large differences in river cruise lines and the areas they travel. Here are my comments for those interested in a river cruise.

For someone's first river cruise I feel Europe is the way to go. On European ocean cruises the ports are often industrial ports with long bus rides to the city whereas on European river cruise you dock in many well known cities. Much of Europe was developed on the rivers. Most stops will have multiple excursions available or just go off on your own. That way if you don't like the ship experience there will be plenty of entertaining port time. It will be easy enough to break up the ship meals with some great off ship dining. Also, some companies will bring on local entertainment at each port in addition to having educational port talks to enhance your enjoyment. 

In choosing a river cruise company it is important to see what they do when common problems occur. Water levels in the river vary and are critical for the ship to be able to travel. Too high a water level will prevent the ship from going under a bridge - some companies will turn the trip into a disappointing bus tour - some have contingency plans to transfer passengers to a sister ship on the other side of the bridge. Research and choose wisely.  

8 hours ago, mnocket said:

I think it really depends on the demographics of the passengers. 

We cruised for 2 weeks on an MSC ship to South America over New Years. 
It’s the first time I couldn’t wait to get off the ship. 
I won’t get into long details but we never cruised with so many rude…no obnoxiously rude passengers. 
One day at the aft pool a girl pushed her husband in the pool and he landed on me.
My back was turned so I didn’t see it coming. 

I have had 5 spine surgeries so this was very scary for me. 
They didn’t have the decency to apologize or see if I was ok.
Thankfully the lifeguard saw the whole thing and he removed them from the pool and told them not to come back for the remainder of the cruise. 

The pool deck was a zoo on sea days. People were putting towels on the deck and lying everywhere because there wasn’t enough chairs. 

I told my husband we never cruise MSC again unless it’s in the Yacht Club. 

It’s a shame because I love their ships and want to enjoy them but they lowered their price point so much that it wasn’t enjoyable anymore. 

We’ve cruised NCL with our grandson during April vacations and not had this problem. 

Edited by styles27

21 minutes ago, Tina99 said:

I’ve been on Apex, and will be on Beyond this Sunday. I will not be in the Retreat. Two people on this thread have mentioned a plunge pool. Where is it?

Starboard going aft before you get to  the Sunset Bar, right on the side of the ship..I think the true correct names are Infinity Pools, and poster below is correct, not on Apex or Edge..

image.thumb.jpeg.93a8bf995dce7649fd2334a8a0b8dbc9.jpeg

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tina99 said:

I’ve been on Apex, and will be on Beyond this Sunday. I will not be in the Retreat. Two people on this thread have mentioned a plunge pool. Where is it?

I’m just off the Beyond last Saturday. The plunge pool is the solarium, the adults only area where there is a small pool of course just like other pools it was very crowded on sea days.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Thank you for this information. This kind of thing does not appeal to me.

19 minutes ago, Tina99 said:

No plunge pools on Apex or Edge.  Beyond and Ascent starboard side aft.

3 hours ago, billc23 said:

I feel you should give it a try. If the ship is your destination, you should be able to enjoy the port days with less crowding in the pool area and on sea days check out other spaces - eden for example. Enjoy the Bistro for lunch - less crowded because of a small uncharge. Plenty to enjoy if you have not sailed Celebrity in a while and a very different product compared to years ago and E class is a change from the older ships. 

Choose a cabin near where you think you will spend time because the elevators may be very crowded. Go early to shows in Eden or the theater if you want a good seat. Seats in the martini bar upper level area are easy find and great for people watching and being watched.

I have sailed in the Retreat on E class 3 times in a RS and PH and, for the price of the Retreat, I would choose Seabourn or Silversea every time over the E class experience. However, this December I have booked the Apex to try out a IV cabin. I am looking forward to the non retreat IV cabin experience on a Caribbean sailing and I will mostly stay on the ship.

Thank you for the thoughtful response.  You make good points.  I think I should adjust my thinking to consider what I can enjoy, other than the pool area, during sea days.  It's always about expectations, and if I set my expectations realistically, this may be a worthwhile getaway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IDL said:

It obviously comes down to personal preference and expectations.  We cruise on Oceana and enjoy that experience for what it offers (and doesn’t offer) and we also enjoy the E-ship experience though we don’t hang out at the pool in either case.  Can certainly agree that an over crowed pool area and an over crowded pool itself it not appealing but there are plenty of things to do on an E ship and a crowed pool area (that I avoid) is not a deal killer for me and not as important as other factors such as price (value), itinerary, food, entertainment, cabin. 

Thanks for the reply.  I think you are right... I need to think beyond the pool area and consider what else the E-Class ships can offer during sea days.