Less Crowded Questions

newcruiserny

Hi I would prefer not so crowded.  I have been reading Feb is the best month to cruise.  Can anybody confirm?

Also when I look at cruise prices, if it is cheaper does that make it less crowded because less people purchased that cruise?  Like would a $2000 vs $1000 price tell me that the $1000 has less people?

Where are you cruising? Weather would play a big part for me.  I think the cheaper cruises would be at less desirable times in terms of weather. 

We were on the Roal Princess around the British isles. I was worried about crowds because I’d never been on such a big ship before.  We went outside school holidays. There weren’t many children aboard. The ship was full but we didn’t experience crowds. I was amazed. There were many places you could go aboard that were quiet. 

The only time we encountered crowds was when we had to queue to return to the ship for the two tender ports in Edinburgh and Gernsey but everyone was very polite. 

I think the smaller ships with less passengers are even better for less crowds but for me less children aboard is more important than total passenger numbers. 

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 2

Ships are pretty much full.  Am about to go on a TA out of Southampton.   TAs attract a generally older group as they are longer.

As for the ship being full. . . if there are unsold cabins they drop the price.  Inside cabins for this cruise went down about 60% for a few days and then back up when it was near full again.

Agree with @Arizona Wildcat. Most ships are going out full these days regardless of season. So if you don't want to feel crowded, what you can look at is the passenger to space ratio. The higher number the better. Onboard or number of passengers going ashore in a small port, you're best on the Coral, followed by Diamond and Sapphire. Least space on the Caribbean Princess, though must add some here really love the CP. From CruiseMapper:

Princess Cruises ships capacity
Vessel Name    Passengers (Min - Max)    Crew    Passengers-to-Space-Ratio
Caribbean Princess    3138 - 3766             1200    30
Coral Princess    2000 - 2400                      895      38
Crown Princess    3062 - 3674                    1200    31
Diamond Princess    2706 - 3247                1100    36
Discovery Princess    3668 - 4402               1350    32
Emerald Princess    3066 - 3679                  1200    31
Enchanted Princess    3668 - 4402              1350    32
Grand Princess    2602 - 3122                      1150    34
Island Princess    2214 - 2657                      900      35
Majestic Princess    3560 - 4272                  1350    33
Regal Princess    3560 - 4272                       1350    33
Royal Princess    3560 - 4272                       1350    33
Ruby Princess    3060 - 3672                        1200     31
Sapphire Princess    2678 - 3214                  1100    36
Sky Princess    3668 - 4402                           1350    32
Star Princess (2025)    4320 - 5189              1550    34
Sun Princess (2024)    4320 - 5189               1550    34

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dog said:

School break mid February- March- to Easter in April.  Crowded, in South- Carribean 

It will be super crowded everywhere during spring break time. That being said all my cruises in the last 2 years have been at least 90 % full

• Like 1

Most ships sail with all cabins occupied all year. What makes a cruise more or less crowded is the number of passengers per cabin. Many cabins have a 3rd and 4th berth. Generally these berths are filled by youth, parents sailing with their children. If you select a cruise when school is in session the less probability cabins will have 3rd and 4th berths occupied. Alaska cruises, holiday cruises tend to have more people on board.

• Like 1

I believe you are considering the Caribbean on Sun Princess???

Feb. is high season in the Caribbean.  By the first of March, it is Spring Break, kids have time out of school, etc.

So, yes, the Caribbean will be crowded by sometime in Feb..  thru March.

Easter is not until April 20th next year.  So, a late Easter means it will be high season thru April.

This is then when the ships reposition to Europe, wherever they are going for the Summer.

You are correct in thinking that the sailings that are not booking as quickly might have a lower fare than the highest expected demand.

While ships often sell out or sail almost full, a ship at capacity during the family high seasons, with many cabins at 3 or 4 guests, could feel more crowded than than an almost full ship during 'off' season.

Looks like these are the dates with the lowest fares for an Interior cabin.

(Balconies may or not be the lowest on these cruises, depending on how quickly they are selling)

Feb 01    999.

Feb 08    989.

Feb 15    899.

Mar 15    849

If weather in the Caribbean is a factor for you, If I am correct, you might want to wait until later in Feb. to cruise.  There can be cool fronts and winds in Jan.

54 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I believe you are considering the Caribbean on Sun Princess???

Feb. is high season in the Caribbean.  By the first of March, it is Spring Break, kids have time out of school, etc.

So, yes, the Caribbean will be crowded by sometime in Feb..  thru March.

Easter is not until April 20th next year.  So, a late Easter means it will be high season thru April.

This is then when the ships reposition to Europe, wherever they are going for the Summer.

You are correct in thinking that the sailings that are not booking as quickly might have a lower fare than the highest expected demand.

While ships often sell out or sail almost full, a ship at capacity during the family high seasons, with many cabins at 3 or 4 guests, could feel more crowded than than an almost full ship during 'off' season.

Looks like these are the dates with the lowest fares for an Interior cabin.

(Balconies may or not be the lowest on these cruises, depending on how quickly they are selling)

Feb 01    999.

Feb 08    989.

Feb 15    899.

Mar 15    849

If weather in the Caribbean is a factor for you, If I am correct, you might want to wait until later in Feb. to cruise.  There can be cool fronts and winds in Jan.

Hello there.  So I am flexible Feb - May and I was just reading that Feb was the best time.  But looking at Feb, some prices are a lot more for example Feb1 $999 vs Feb22 $1379.   This made my little brain think that Feb1 would be less crowded. (I think you are awesome btw because you always answer me lol)

Edited by newcruiserny

Not trying to be rude...I don't understand what people mean when they say they want less crowded on mass market cruise lines.  It's counterintuitive to pick a mass market ship that can hold 2000, 3000, 4000, and up passengers and expect a not so crowded ship.  Not so crowded on these types of ships happened during the restart when cruises were purposefully sailing at below capacity.  Better to pick a luxury line if you want less crowded.

When fares decrease, it means that a sailing is not selling well at that interval in time.  When the fares decrease, sailings have potential to increase actual cabin sales.  It's really dependent on  the length and itinerary.  The 21 Day World Cruise Segment Sydney to Cape Town on the Island Princess departing 02/16/25 is down to $1406 for Interior because it only has 3 ports.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Not trying to be rude...I don't understand what people mean when they say they want less crowded on mass market cruise lines.  It's counterintuitive to pick a mass market ship that can hold 2000, 3000, 4000, and up passengers and expect a not so crowded ship.  Not so crowded on these types of ships happened during the restart when cruises were purposefully sailing at below capacity.  Better to pick a luxury line if you want less crowded.

When fares decrease, it means that a sailing is not selling well at that interval in time.  When the fares decrease, sailings have potential to increase actual cabin sales.  It's really dependent on  the length and itinerary.  The 21 Day World Cruise Segment Sydney to Cape Town on the Island Princess departing 02/16/25 is down to $1406 for Interior because it only has 3 ports.

I can't speak for everyone on this board but a lot of us don't have the financial wherewithal to sail on the luxury cruise lines.

But there are still times when you're apt to find fewer passengers on board a mass-market cruise ship. A ship that's fully booked - 2 adults per room - won't be as bad as one that's at full capacity, with kids occupying the extra beds. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Agree with @IndyKid 100%.  I've found the best fares and fewest children during the shoulder season between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Add me to this list. We like to sail the week after US Thanksgiving.

In the US, very few parents are willing to take the kids out of school between Thanksgiving and when the kids get out of school for Christmas (usually somewhere around Dec 20) so that tends to limit crowds as well as help with pricing.

Typically the Christmas decorations go up on this cruise as well. In 2022 the Tree was up and we got pics.

We like to spend a couple days pre cruise in embarkation city and TG weekend can be crowded.

• Like 1

I didn't mention this, as the time-frame given was late Winter and Spring...

But, YES,   100%. Early December.   Ships are decorated for the Holidays.  Not the full Holiday Cruise.  But, very nice.

Another time to travel is late April - early May..  After Easter, but before Schools let out.

That is another great 'window'.

Sun will already be heading to Europe by then, though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SCX22 said:

And the airfare will kill you. No bargain. 

• Like 2

We've sailed the Caribbean at all times of the year except the summer. The ships will be filled to capacity no matter which date you choose and since we're most interested in sailing when the kids are not sailing, try to go prior to or in-between holidays like Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Valentines day, etc. and if possible go on longer trips over 7 days. 

Eliminate holidays & you'll have a great time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Agree with @Arizona Wildcat. Most ships are going out full these days regardless of season. So if you don't want to feel crowded, what you can look at is the passenger to space ratio. The higher number the better. Onboard or number of passengers going ashore in a small port, you're best on the Coral, followed by Diamond and Sapphire. Least space on the Caribbean Princess, though must add some here really love the CP. From CruiseMapper:

Princess Cruises ships capacity
Vessel Name    Passengers (Min - Max)    Crew    Passengers-to-Space-Ratio
Caribbean Princess    3138 - 3766             1200    30
Coral Princess    2000 - 2400                      895      38
Crown Princess    3062 - 3674                    1200    31
Diamond Princess    2706 - 3247                1100    36
Discovery Princess    3668 - 4402               1350    32
Emerald Princess    3066 - 3679                  1200    31
Enchanted Princess    3668 - 4402              1350    32
Grand Princess    2602 - 3122                      1150    34
Island Princess    2214 - 2657                      900      35
Majestic Princess    3560 - 4272                  1350    33
Regal Princess    3560 - 4272                       1350    33
Royal Princess    3560 - 4272                       1350    33
Ruby Princess    3060 - 3672                        1200     31
Sapphire Princess    2678 - 3214                  1100    36
Sky Princess    3668 - 4402                           1350    32
Star Princess (2025)    4320 - 5189              1550    34
Sun Princess (2024)    4320 - 5189               1550    34

Am I reading this wrong? By CP, do you mean Coral or Crown (I can never remember)?

Re the Coral and Island, how can Coral have a higher passenger to space ratio when the Island has more passengers in same size ship?

My experience is that shorter cruises when school is not in session bring the biggest crowds. Spring break in the Caribbean would be a good example as would any 3 or 4 night cruise.

More families and budget conscious adults traveling with 4 in a cabin means more passengers. 

Itineraries of 14 days or more attract an older demographic as vacation time isn’t an issue.  

As for the best month for a cruise, that depends on itinerary. Do you have a destination in mind?

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, newcruiserny said:

Hello there.  So I am flexible Feb - May and I was just reading that Feb was the best time.  But looking at Feb, some prices are a lot more for example Feb1 $999 vs Feb22 $1379.   This made my little brain think that Feb1 would be less crowded. (I think you are awesome btw because you always answer me lol)

If you are considering the Caribbean in 2025 my suggestion would be to avoid March and April due to spring break and Easter, which isn’t until April 20. If I were you I’d want to go before that to avoid cold weather so I’d skip May and go in February.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Re the Coral and Island, how can Coral have a higher passenger to space ratio when the Island has more passengers in same size ship?

The Coral & Island were identical when built. The Island had the aft public venues removed and replaced with cabins resulting in more passengers with less public space than the Coral. Less passengers with more public space equals a higher passenger to space factor. 

• Like 2