Jug of filtered/drinking water - available from MDR or Room Service?

Kordy

think about what happens at the water dispenser at the buffet. People don't follow rules . They refill cups that have been in their mouth. I use my knuckle for the lever to dispense the water   as I don't want the mouth area of my cup touching the lever that has been touched by other mouths. Makes it safe for me . ( it was safer when we had straws!) To fill my water bottle I fill cups and transfer the water ( as instructed). I have used bathroom tap water for 25 cruises. It only touches the inside of the pipes before my glass.

There is no water dispenser with extra filters

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I guess buy bottled water. Or drink the tap water. The drinking water from the buffet is the same as the water from the tap in your cabin. You don’t need a jug by your bed. Just a glass. If you don’t want the tap water, which is filtered, then you can buy bottled water. If you desire ice request that from your cabin attendant. 

You can fill a glass or a bottle at either the refilling stations or at the dink.  All water on the ship is distilled then filtered.

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

I ask the room attendant for ice twice daily, as it melts I have lovely chilled water to drink…Glass of ice by the bed at night…chilled water at 2am. Never a problem…

This seems like the best solution to my question.  Bonus here is that the container with the ice becomes a water pitcher and it can be refilled with drinking water later on.   

Thank you 

PS. How big is this "pitcher" that the room steward brings?  Is it enough for several glasses of water?

Edited by Kordy

11 hours ago, justcrusn said:

Also, i think they ask you NOT to refill containers in the buffet

Very simple to just fill a glass, then transfer to your container.   That is what I do for our morning coffee each day as well as the water.  

And indeed...never, ever put your used container up to the spigot at the station.  

11 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Maybe others might have more detailed info. Before Celebrity had drinking packages I would drink the water from the sink in my room. My understanding is all the water on the ship is the same.

I used to do that, until too many times the water came out brown and stinky from the bathroom sink.  No thanks after that.  

The water from the filling stations in the lounges and the buffet are filtered.   Your cabin bathroom water is not.

11 hours ago, doghog said:

If we have a BP we get bottled water. If we don't have a BP we drink the tap water from the cabin bathroom sink. We ask for ice twice a day. 

Noo...noo...dogs drink from the toilet.   OK...bad joke.  Sorry my friend, could not resist.  

Or have we discussed this before?  😄 😄 

Your bro fills his disposable water bottles from a cup he brings from the buffet.  Me...I am spoiled and get bottles of water from the lounges...with generous cash tip of course.  😉 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Kordy said:

This seems like the best solution to my question.  Bonus here is that the container with the ice becomes a water pitcher and it can be refilled with drinking water later on.   

Thank you 

PS. How big is this "pitcher" that the room steward brings?  Is it enough for several glasses of water?

The ice is also made from the same water all over the ship including the sink in your cabin.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It the same water, there probably not a filter

you don’t drink the water in your own bathroom at home 🤔
if that worried bring a filter jug with you , they are cheap at Costco or Amazon 🤣

Yes, the water stations have charcoal filters.  I have witnessed a crew member replacing one once.  

3 hours ago, Kordy said:

Thank you 

It's a small stainless steel ice bucket. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, doghog said:

It's a small stainless steal ice bucket. 

Is that the same type they come around and fill your water glass from in the MDR and the other specialty restaurants?   Of course they always seem to like to water the carpet with extra water and ice when they do that....guess the carpet is thirsty....or most likely needs a good bath.  😄 

Hmmm..indeed the OP could steal it from them.  OK...I will go sit in the corner now...bad girl...bad Island Lady.  😉 

Edited by island lady

13 hours ago, Kordy said:

That's the thing - I'm travelling light (cabin luggage only) and I'm NOT bringing a large water bottle with me.  I would like to obtain a large jug of water, from the cruise ship, to have drinking water in my cabin at night - maybe from the MDR or from the cabin stewart?

Have you thought about buying a collapsable water container from Amazon which would not take much room in your luggage?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

Is that the same type they come around and fill your water glass from in the MDR and the other specialty restaurants?   Of course they always seem to like to water the carpet with extra water and ice when they do that....guess the carpet is thirsty....or most likely needs a good bath.  😄 

Hmmm..indeed the OP could steal it from them.  OK...I will go sit in the corner now...bad girl...bad Island Lady.  😉 

Thanks for the hint. I corrected it. I'd blame it on jetlag but it was only a two hour flight and got home Friday evening.  🤣

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Have you thought about buying a collapsable water container from Amazon which would not take much room in your luggage?

I have one of those from REI. I always forget how to collapse and uncollapse it. 😂 Hardly ever use it. I take a regular water container on hikes. Regular ones don’t take up that much space. At this point though although I never do checked baggage on a land vacation on a cruise when I start packing the carry on and I never make it, I end up with the checked bag. On Celebrity since I get free bottles of water I don’t worry about water. 

Edited by Charles4515

I've been only on one cruise so far, on Queen Mary 2, but we could not drink the water from the tap, we did not like the taste, we had to use bottled still water even for our espressos. 

I hope the water on Celebrity Silhouette is drinkable for us, because normally I drink medium sparkly water, so I plan to buy bottled sparkling water and mix it with tap water. And we need water for making an espresso as well, I need that first thing in the morning. 🙂

Can someone recommend a collapsible water bottle that can fit at least 1 litre (32 oz) and which collapses into basically nothing.  I only travel with cabin size luggage, so space is at a premium.  My best use-case would be to "borrow" a water pitcher from the MDR (or from cabin steward), but sounds like these are not always available?  and it sounds like the ice-bucket is very small and can not be used as a pitcher.

39 minutes ago, Caipi said:

I've been only on one cruise so far, on Queen Mary 2, but we could not drink the water from the tap, we did not like the taste, we had to use bottled still water even for our espressos. 

I hope the water on Celebrity Silhouette is drinkable for us, because normally I drink medium sparkly water, so I plan to buy bottled sparkling water and mix it with tap water. And we need water for making an espresso as well, I need that first thing in the morning. 🙂

How do you plan to make your own espresso in the morning?  In Royal Suite or higher?

We've asked our room attendant to bring us a pitcher of ice water every day on all our cruises. The attendant has never had a problem bringing this to us along with an ice bucket of ice.  The water generally has come in a metal carafe like they serve coffee from in the dining room.  

2 minutes ago, Pupsalot said:

We've asked our room attendant to bring us a pitcher of ice water every day on all our cruises. The attendant has never had a problem bringing this to us along with an ice bucket of ice.  The water generally has come in a metal carafe like they serve coffee from in the dining room.  

I think we have a winner !!! this is the best solution so far.... It will save me travelling with a water bottle - I can simply ask the Steward for a Pitcher of Water on my 1st day and then refill that pitcher daily, using the water in the Bathroom, as we have confirmed multiple times in this thread, that water in the bathroom is "better" than the one from the buffet water-machine, as it's the same water, but it has less bacteria/germs.

Edited by Kordy

27 minutes ago, canderson said:

How do you plan to make your own espresso in the morning?  In Royal Suite or higher?

No, with a kettle and this thing (+Starbucks by Nespresso capsules), we take it always with us when traveling:

https://www.wacaco.com/products/minipresso-ns2

But in August on QM2 we were upgraded to Britannia Club (a kind of "premium economy"....) and there was an espresso machine, an Illy one with E.S.E. (easy serving espresso) pods. Which was a good thing, because after months of standing around unused the WACACO had stopped functioning.... But meanwhile WACACO sent me a new one. 🙂

Edited by Caipi

1 hour ago, Caipi said:

No, with a kettle and this thing (+Starbucks by Nespresso capsules), we take it always with us when traveling:

https://www.wacaco.com/products/minipresso-ns2

But in August on QM2 we were upgraded to Britannia Club (a kind of "premium economy"....) and there was an espresso machine, an Illy one with E.S.E. (easy serving espresso) pods. Which was a good thing, because after months of standing around unused the WACACO had stopped functioning.... But meanwhile WACACO sent me a new one. 🙂

Cool gadget!  Silversea uses the Illy as well.  I bring my own stainless fillable "pod" and my own favorite blend along for whichever machine is in vogue for a given line.  Celebrity uses Lavazza.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

Cool gadget!  Silversea uses the Illy as well.  I bring my own stainless fillable "pod" and my own favorite blend along for whichever machine is in vogue for a given line.  Celebrity uses Lavazza.

Bringing your own pod and your own favourite blend sounds great! We use Illy Classico beans at home for the Sage (=Breville) Barista Pro, but the Illy Classico Nespresso-compatible capsules often get watery, so for our Nespresso-machine and the WACACO I use Starbucks Espresso Roast capsules.

Edited by Caipi