Saving some money on next cruise

tvo7

Hello.

I want to do 1 last cruise with my family and I am looking at Harmony of the seas 8 days to Eastern Caribbean with a stop in Coco Cay. 

Unfortunately, I am not rich like everyone else on here and I am a tight budget.  There will be 6 of my family members.  2 interior rooms with 3 people in each.

To save money, I will only be doing free things.  No paying extra for restaurants, no excursions off the ship, no drink package, just free things.

Another way to save money, was to save on tipping.  I will go to the front desk and cancel prepaid tips.  I am estimating prepaid tips to be almost 700 dollars which is pretty extensive for someone like me.  

I was thinking of just handing cash of 50$ to each stateroom attendant, 20 dollars to the waiter and 10 to his assistant in the main dining room.  

Has anyone done this before?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Another way to save money, was to save on tipping.  I will go to the front desk and cancel prepaid tips.  I am estimating prepaid tips to be almost 700 dollars which is pretty extensive for someone like me.  

I was thinking of just handing cash of 50$ to each stateroom attendant, 20 dollars to the waiter and 10 to his assistant in the main dining room.  

Okay, I'll bite...

Yes but most won't admit to it on CC, at least if they're removing tips to be cheap vs. for legitimate service issues.

You're really stirring up a hornet's nest. A minority of CCers will tell you you're not required to tip anything at all and they proudly remove tips.

A majority will say If you can't afford the recommended gratuities you shouldn't be cruising.  With those amounts you're stiffing both the people who serve you directly as well the behind-the-scenes crew who don't interact directly with passengers so share in the tip pool.  I presume you're talking $50/$20/$10 per crew member for the whole cruise, not per day or per passenger in your party for the whole cruise.  If so you're really stiffing those people who serve you directly and depend primarily on tips for their income.

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Hello.

I want to do 1 last cruise with my family and I am looking at Harmony of the seas 8 days to Eastern Caribbean with a stop in Coco Cay. 

Unfortunately, I am not rich like everyone else on here and I am a tight budget.  There will be 6 of my family members.  2 interior rooms with 3 people in each.

To save money, I will only be doing free things.  No paying extra for restaurants, no excursions off the ship, no drink package, just free things.

You could have saved more with group rates with a TA. 3 interior cabins groupmrates probably cheaper than how you booked. When are you going? I have that booked oct 12, booked long ago in a inside balconys to save money. 

Western would have saved a lot more money. The 8 day to coco cay was by far the highest rate on harmony.  So right off it's obvious it's not about saving money doing the 8 day to coco cay out of texas which is a more expensive choice. Depends on the date how much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I will go to the front desk and cancel prepaid tips.  I am estimating prepaid tips to be almost 700 dollars which is pretty extensive for someone like me.  

You can't, usually. You need to cancel/remove them before final payment. Also, 6people x$18 x 8 days = $864.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

I'll tell you what.  I know you asked for advice on a forum and as Dallas Guy points out most people will start flaming you as your proposal will not be a popular view. They will tell you" oh no your are taking food out of some guys mouth", or "Take a shorter cruise so you can pay the staff" etc...

But you know what I say - Carpe Diem-- Its your cruise and if that is the one you want to take or the one that works for your family--then take it!  Some people on your ship will tip more than recommended, some will tip less and some will tip not at all.  It's YOUR CHOICE and no one else's.  If it was mandatory they'd make it mandatory.  If you can't tip you can't tip.  Take the vacation as priced and enjoy it to its fullest.   The fact that your are budgeting something for the staff you interact with is admirable in and of its own.  There are certainly cruisers that will tip zero--so you already are doing more for the staff than some others.  But again--I wouldn't worry in the least and enjoy your last cruise.

I'm sure your family will appreciate all or anything you can do!

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, chfenton said:

Its your cruise and if that is the one you want to take or the one that works for your family--then take it!

This is true. Just then don't ask for advice on how to be a cheapskate once you've already spent a ton of money for a long cruise on a newer ship.

• Like 6

Just now, smokeybandit said:

This is true. Just then don't ask for advice on how to be a cheapskate once you've already spent a ton of money for a long cruise on a newer ship.

If you live in texas you know that particular 8 day is much much higher $$$ than other dates. Texans were so excited to go to coco cay without driving. My cabin at one time inside balcony was well over $3500. I could book all 3 other legs for the price of going to coco cay out of texas. I kept it and flying there. But added the other 3 legs to make it worth while to fly there for a cruise to coco cay. I just dont believe his story, he booked this route on harmony and to save money removing tips. He didnt book a group rate because he woukd have 2 per cabin inside cabins, cant do 3 for a group rate I know of.

I did a search for the cheapest inside cabin holding 2 adults 1 child late august 2025. .and prices go up from here. Inside..just over $3k per cabin X 2 so $6k. ..and hes worried about tips? I just think this is a made up story. Someone worried about a tight budget isnt paying over $6k to do harmony from texas anyway. 

20240923_082008862.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply everyone.  

Thanks for the helpful tips.

This will probably be my last cruise and I would like to stick with royal carribean since I have the most memories with them.

I have 3 kids 11, 9, 9 and I want to take them out of galveston to coco cay to let them enjoy 1 last big  trip with me.

They were wanting to do a big ship so it will be a little more expensive. I asked them about ships like mariner and they did not want it, just new ship.

Yes, 50 dollars cash for each oom attendant and 20 dollars main dining attendant. 

You are looking at 800 dollars if you do prepaid tips.

This thread brings up a question that someone asked me over the weekend while on Symphony. If someone wants to remove automatic gratuities and pay their people directly how do you determine what to give each person based on their position. It used to be something like $3.50 pp per day for waiter and room steward. The assistant waiter would get $1.75.

What would the current breakdown be?

The only thing you will be accomplishing by removing and reducing your gratuities is to take income away from the very staff with whom you will be interacting, who will be working hard to provide you with their services to make sure you enjoy your cruise to the fullest.  

I don't know what you do, or did, as your life's work but this would be the same as having someone who compensates you for your work paying you significantly less than your normal rate of pay because they don't want, or can't afford, to pay for what you do, but expect you to perform at the same level or provide the same service for their benefit.  Sound fair?

As others have suggested, perhaps this isn't the correct choice of a cruise for your family as it seems like the only way you can afford it is to shortchange those who will be serving you.  JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

Thanks for the reply everyone.  

Thanks for the helpful tips.

This will probably be my last cruise and I would like to stick with royal carribean since I have the most memories with them.

I have 3 kids 11, 9, 9 and I want to take them out of galveston to coco cay to let them enjoy 1 last big  trip with me.

They were wanting to do a big ship so it will be a little more expensive. I asked them about ships like mariner and they did not want it, just new ship.

Yes, 50 dollars cash for each oom attendant and 20 dollars main dining attendant. 

You are looking at 800 dollars if you do prepaid tips.

It is too bad you didnt find a travel agent with group rates if money is actually a issue. Group rates, with 2 in each cabin would have probably been cheaper. A good TA could have booked 3 inside cabins in a row. It just seems you say you want to throw away money on how you booked without checking how to actually save money.. and now claim the only way is auto tips. 

The way you booked unless you found a kids sail free, which you dont mention makes no sense. So you threw away a bunch of money how you booked. Most know never book direct. There is more to this story. .. surely.

Nothing wrong with cruising on a budget and getting away to enjoy quality family time. 

You have highlighted all of the "extra costs" that YOU have control over that you can save money on. 

Graturities

Drinks package

Excursions 

Wifi

Restaurants 

Photos etc.

Rebooking ( USA only)

So pick the best cruise line, ship, dates and itinerary that suits your budget for the costs YOU can control and dont worry what others think. Why should you compromise on length, ship, company, dates etc just to conform to paying the "extra OPTIONAL" costs. 

Id rather be able to aford to take my family on the best holiday i can then a substandard holiday by controlling what i spend. 

Have a great time away 

• Like 4

How dare you call us rich? You are rich. So many people cannot even afford rent and here you are taking cruises.

One thing though, if you are taking cruises there are some additional things like excursions, additional restaurants, and there are other things like auto-gratuities. Cruising works great because cruiselines can hire people from other countries and pay them more than they can earn in their countries. I know it is very tempting to remove autogratuities and pay less, but still ... it  is sort of a social contract. Leave it to cruiseline which servises you are using. 

I am not rich.  My mom and dad only have a few years left to live.  They want to see the grandchildren go on one last cruise with them.  So I am researching this.

I was not going to go anymore ruises because I am not very well off and cruises have gotten so expensive..  But this was one last dream for my parents.  I saved up for this trip but trying to find ways to save money.  

I called my TA and they said I need 16 people for group rate.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

You likely did not ask the right question.  If you asked for a group rate, then the TA answered correctly as they assumed you were trying to form your own group.  All you need to ask is for the best fares they have available for your planned itinerary and go from there.

What others who were suggesting group rates through TA's meant is that TA's have access to group rates provided by the cruise line for cruise line sponsored groups, or rates provided to TA's for groups or blocks of staterooms consigned by them which can be sold individually at the reduced group rates.  These rates are only available to TA's and are not published by the cruise lines. 

Call the TA back and, as mentioned, just ask for the best rates available for your passenger base and chosen itinerary.  They will likely be able to provide rates more attractive than booking direct.  Or try calling different TA's to compare.

But that does not change my opinion about further reducing costs by reducing gratuities to the staff.  That is unfair to them and not the way to manage your budget.  If the TA can't provide better rates then you should change your cruising plans rather than shortchange the staff as previously mentioned.  Again, JMO.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

I am not rich.  My mom and dad only have a few years left to live.  They want to see the grandchildren go on one last cruise with them.  So I am researching this.

I was not going to go anymore ruises because I am not very well off and cruises have gotten so expensive..  But this was one last dream for my parents.  I saved up for this trip but trying to find ways to save money.  

Then you have the wrong TA. I am solo and my TA has access to group rates I book all the time. I dont need any others. That's the group dept vs group rates many TAs on here have access to.

Sorry I cant name a TA but there are some posting on here that you do NOT need 16 people and form a group. I have 18 booked solo and every single one is booked as a group rate and I rarely am aware of any others who book the same cruises I book. 

Also check a cabin with 2 and another with 4. A cabin with 2 is a different and usually a cheaper category. Booking 3 and 3 is the most expensive way generally to book. You have to book 2 cabins that hold 4 and are a more expensive category. 

Sorry but you are booking as if you have money to throw away.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Then you have the wrong TA. I am solo and my TA has access to group rates I book all the time. I dont need any others. That's the group dept vs group rates many TAs on here have access to.

Sorry I cant name a TA but there are some posting on here that you do NOT need 16 people and form a group. I have 18 booked solo and every single one is booked as a group rate and I rarely am aware of any others who book the same cruises I book

No, 8 staterooms at double booking resulting in 16 passengers is the correct minimum number to form your own group with RCI to get a group rate specific to that group.

But, as mentioned before, what you are referring to and have been booking into are non-published established group rates offered directly by the cruise line through all TA's, or through other group rates available for TA's on a given itinerary.  These other rates are based on blocks of rooms consigned to that or other TA's that are available to book into at individual rates.  They are also not available directly through the cruise line to individual bookings.

We also book into those rates frequently as individuals.  But if I wanted to establish my own group, say of friends or family, to get a reduced rate (and other benefits) specific to my group I would have to set that up with a minimum of 8 staterooms/16 passengers as mentioned.  That would then be my named group.

28 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

I am glad my parents took me on vacations they could afford, even if it was just spending a week at a relative’s house. I would have no respect for my parents if they deliberately screwed over hard working crew members on a ship like you are planning to do. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1