Look like specialty restaurants will be changed to cover charge next year

dhanakorn

Not taking any chances.  Whenever we are told that a new program will be for the better, it usually isn't.  I was in the corporate world long enough to know when changes are made there are management meetings ahead of time feeding us what to say to employees to make them think the change is a good thing.  I went ahead and upgraded to fee at sea plus today - in addition to better spirits and wines, I want the waters, specialty coffees and shore excursion credits.  This way if free at sea plus isn't offered anymore I have it, if more free at sea sounds good I can always change it.  Will have to see what comes our way tomorrow.  

13 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Leaked on F B. Make of it what you will.

IMG_5811.thumb.jpeg.4c6b28d491a0ad5381045fb9ce5ae0aa.jpeg

Lots going on here, but one thing that jumped out at me was that a specialty meal apparently will include "up to three appetizers, one main course, and up to three desserts". That would actually be a significant improvement over the current plan, which afaik only includes one of each.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eno said:

Not taking any chances.  Whenever we are told that a new program will be for the better, it usually isn't.  I was in the corporate world long enough to know when changes are made there are management meetings ahead of time feeding us what to say to employees to make them think the change is a good thing.  I went ahead and upgraded to fee at sea plus today - in addition to better spirits and wines, I want the waters, specialty coffees and shore excursion credits.  This way if free at sea plus isn't offered anymore I have it, if more free at sea sounds good I can always change it.  Will have to see what comes our way tomorrow.  

The Free at Sea Plus is going to be cancelled and your money refunded. The program will not exist after January 1st. This isn't going to be released until tomorrow, but since that knucklehead posted it to Facebook, you might as well know. 

• Thanks 1

Well at least I didn't pay for it, just had it added to my cruise.  Did that via Chat this time and did it the same way before.  I did have to pay for a 4 specialty dining package for my daughter who is in the same room as us.  Will see what comes tomorrow.  I was able to order more than one appetizer but never tried to order more than one dessert.  With all specialty restaurants changing to cover charge it will impact those that cruise and dine with others that don't have a package.  They would order multiple appetizers and share and those without a package would just pay for the entre.  

14 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

The Free at Sea Plus is going to be cancelled and your money refunded. The program will not exist after January 1st. This isn't going to be released until tomorrow, but since that knucklehead posted it to Facebook, you might as well know. 

What does that mean for Haven passengers who bought plus?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

I haven’t followed the whole thread, so could easily have missed something. Has there been confirmation that free at sea plus is going away for those of us with existing bookings?

For that matter is there confirmation that there won’t be a More at Sea plus?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

There is no official on anything until tomorrow. But using google translator on the Slovak Cruise page https://www.luxusneplavby.sk/lodne-spolocnosti/norwegian-cruise-line/ you can see some details on More at Sea. And browsing thru those pdf/web pages I can't see any indication that there is "More at Sea plus". 

35 minutes ago, tsahall01 said:

I did see that there will be a VIP More at Sea package available to suite and Haven guests.  Also, if you are on a sailaway category, you can get the regular More at Sea

We are interested to see the details about VIP More at Sea.  It could make it much easier for those Haven bartenders....or not 🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Thing is... Europe has always had a fee to add Free At Sea (not the grats/service charge, just a fee for adding the package) whereas the US has paid the grats/service charges.  All the leaks we're seeing so far are from Europe, with that fee noted.  I'm curious to see the same flyer from the US...

Thanks.  Could it be that this is all just marketing, and we'll pay the same amount for the same stuff but they'll stop hearing the complaints about people having to pay more for something that is "free?"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

image.png.fa51ddb83043ef1d500b910f14a4bfe6.png

For those curious about VIP More at Sea package. Check the earlier linked pdf - There are no differences between VIP More at Sea or More at sea. The VIPATSEA is just a NCL code for Suites and Haven categories. 

From that linked pdf:

NCLATSEA (Beverage Package, Specialty Dining, Excursion Credits & Wi-Fi
package)
Or
Suites and Haven Categories
VIPATSEA (Beverage, Specialty Dining, Excursion Credits & Wi-Fi
package)

Edited by Luffe
Missing content

under the old free at sea program i was able to pick and chose of the dinning package/drinks package. i dont drink and always decline the drinks package

It appears that the new more at sea is basically all or nothing. there is no way to remove things that i dont need like the drink package

8 minutes ago, shof515 said:

under the old free at sea program i was able to pick and chose of the dinning package/drinks package. i dont drink and always decline the drinks package

It appears that the new more at sea is basically all or nothing. there is no way to remove things that i dont need like the drink package

That is how it already is for us in EU. The leaked info seems to be directed for EU (currency €). So you US guys still can't be sure how it will be for you.

I have been hoping for things to go the other way: allowing us EU people choose components. Not really expecting it, but hoping. 

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

but they'll stop hearing the complaints about people having to pay more for something that is "free?"

I actually postulated EXACTLY THAT on a solo cruiser's group on a social media site!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  Could it be that this is all just marketing, and we'll pay the same amount for the same stuff but they'll stop hearing the complaints about people having to pay more for something that is "free?"

The price has gone up for us the the UK, which would be expected given that there are additional meals and a better beverage package.

In the US, assuming if remains that people will be charged the gratuity then there will likely be a similar increase based on the larger dining package and a likely increase in the beverage package cost,

3 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

If this is true, and I have no reason not to believe you, this is very unfortunate and a game changer. We literally switched to NCL two years ago just because of the FAS+ we have five booked over the next year, all with +.

Trying to read the legal print of what we have paid for (yes all five are paid for) and I see they have the right to change their offer, but will that include the upgrades I’ve already paid for.

I guess we will find out tomorrow.

FREE AT SEA PLUS UPGRADE PROGRAM
Booking Window: April 29, 2022 – Cap Controlled
Description: The Free at Sea Plus Upgrade Program offers upgraded amenities for 3-night or longer sailings Fleetwide except for Pride of America sailings for all Categories except SAILAWAY categories – MX (Club Balcony Suite), BX (Balcony), OX (Oceanview) & IX (Inside) for Select AGENCIES.
Applicable Sailings: Fleetwide - 3+ night sailings - Fleetwide & Except Pride of America sailing

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

I'm not sure why you quoted me and posted that. Free at Sea Plus will not exist come January 1. 

It's because you posted this:

4 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Why do you think NCL will be refunding us money?

29 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's because you posted this:

Why do you think NCL will be refunding us money?

They are saying that NCL will be cancelling the free at sea plus offer for people with existing bookings, in which case they will obviously refund anyone who has paid for it.

What is not clear is whether they have any actual knowledge of what will happen or are just speculating. They seem very sure.

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I haven’t followed the whole thread, so could easily have missed something. Has there been confirmation that free at sea plus is going away for those of us with existing bookings?

My PCC gave me the heads up today, he said anyone repricing or upgrading would lose their free at sea and would need to take the more at sea and pay the extra fee. Not sure how that works in North America but for us in the UK it's an extra £50pp.
He also told me that and extra speciality meals bought in advance would be refunded and no package of speciality meals will be available either before the cruise or onboard and that the only option would be to pay full price on the door (I suspect increased prices too).
I'm not talking about ones included in the current Ffree at Sea, I'm talking about additional meals purchased at a reduced price.
He said something about a larger range of alcoholic drinks being available on the beverage package, I don't know if that means they will up the value of the drinks available on the package?

He clearly said those with Free at Sea keep them and only need to change to the More at Sea if changes were made to the booking and then it would be required that the current offer was applied, so you need to think hard before upgrading now.

Edited by ziggyuk

50 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

Trying to read the legal print of what we have paid for (yes all five are paid for) and I see they have the right to change their offer, but will that include the upgrades I’ve already paid for.

Do you mean you've already fully paid for the 5 cruises, or just the deposits?

15 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

They are saying that NCL will be cancelling the free at sea plus offer for people with existing bookings, in which case they will obviously refund anyone who has paid for it.

What is not clear is whether they have any actual knowledge of what will happen or are just speculating. They seem very sure.

My PCC said there would be no cancelling of Free at Sea, it just wont be available for purchase from tomorrow, those who have it keep it unless doing something like an upgrade when you are compelled to take the latest offer which is More at Sea.

Edited by ziggyuk