The Great Debate-- Port or Starboard?

pyropoodle

Which one do you prefer? 

About me: We are setting sail on the Venezia on Friday in a Starboard room.   I'll be (finally) turning Platinum on this cruise and I am starting to have major rando anxiety about booking a Starboard room.   In allll of my sailings on Carnival (and NCL which is the only other line I have sailed) I have booked a Port room.  every.single.booking. has been Port Side. 

"but, why pyropoodle? that is so dumb!" 

let's get into that.  

1.  My brain is dumb and I just gravitate to even numbers.  literally, i have only ever stayed on the Port side solely because they are eVeN NumBerZ.

2. Port has 4 letters, which is an even number

3. I am left handed, which also has 4 letters and is generally on the port side

4. I think i am just literally crazy.🙃  it's a madness. 

STARBOARD, uneven amount of letters!   Uneven numbered rooms!!!!!   What am i getting myself into?  Is anyone else this crazy? other than being an odd number on the Starboard side, tell me your preference and if by chance you have sailed on the Starboard side on the Venezia out of NYC, please tell me you enjoyed it.  (I know i'll be missing the NYC view  from my Starboard balcony, but i've sailed Port Side on Venezia before and I have seen the views. also, i live in NYC)

Help me put this anxiety to rest!  (yes, I do have the drink package, and I'm going to enjoy every second of this cruise regardless of the room I'm in--but if I make friends with Port balconies on this cruise, I might be visiting them just to get my Port side fix. 🤪)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have a co-worker who has to do everything with even numbers. When we go out to eat lunch, the appetizers have to have even amounts of pieces. He asks for 6 ice cubes in his drink. The main dish has to have even numbers or he'll ask for double of a side or delete one. I think it's a little bizarre, but he's a pretty smart guy...lol...

• Like 1

The only time I cared was on the transatlantic I wanted port side because the statue of liberty would be on that side. Other than that I haven’t cared. I book whichever side has the best room location. Of course I am usually in interior rooms..

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, john91498 said:

I have a co-worker who has to do everything with even numbers. When we go out to eat lunch, the appetizers have to have even amounts of pieces. He asks for 6 ice cubes in his drink. The main dish has to have even numbers or he'll ask for double of a side or delete one. I think it's a little bizarre, but he's a pretty smart guy...lol...

i have always been this way!   i'm not as bad as i used to be, but i *used* to count everything, my footsteps, how many french fries i had (if i had an odd number, i'd find the largest one and break in in half to make 2 fries).   maybe old age has softened my stance on the world of even.  it is a LOT of work to obsess over even numbers.  maybe this upcoming therapy cruise will cure me!

• Like 3

The Venezia has 7 letters, so you might need to cancel and rebook on the Legend.

Of course, that might mean you depart from Tampa, which has 5 letters.

Come to think of it, you live in New York City, an unfortunately odd 11 letters.

Dang, I think you're gonna have to move! Iowa might work, as long as you don't move to Des Moines. 😁

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, weezal said:

potential downside for starboard, that's where the designated smoking sections are located

I book this side because I am a smoker and can just walk right out to it. Not that it would be a big deal to cross over but it’s better than a non smoker having to cross over. 

2 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

Which one do you prefer? 

About me: We are setting sail on the Venezia on Friday in a Starboard room.   I'll be (finally) turning Platinum on this cruise and I am starting to have major rando anxiety about booking a Starboard room.   In allll of my sailings on Carnival (and NCL which is the only other line I have sailed) I have booked a Port room.  every.single.booking. has been Port Side. 

"but, why pyropoodle? that is so dumb!" 

let's get into that.  

1.  My brain is dumb and I just gravitate to even numbers.  literally, i have only ever stayed on the Port side solely because they are eVeN NumBerZ.

2. Port has 4 letters, which is an even number

3. I am left handed, which also has 4 letters and is generally on the port side

4. I think i am just literally crazy.🙃  it's a madness. 

STARBOARD, uneven amount of letters!   Uneven numbered rooms!!!!!   What am i getting myself into?  Is anyone else this crazy? other than being an odd number on the Starboard side, tell me your preference and if by chance you have sailed on the Starboard side on the Venezia out of NYC, please tell me you enjoyed it.  (I know i'll be missing the NYC view  from my Starboard balcony, but i've sailed Port Side on Venezia before and I have seen the views. also, i live in NYC)

Help me put this anxiety to rest!  (yes, I do have the drink package, and I'm going to enjoy every second of this cruise regardless of the room I'm in--but if I make friends with Port balconies on this cruise, I might be visiting them just to get my Port side fix. 🤪)

I love you!!! My brain works the EXACT same way! You are not crazy at all…because that would mean I’m crazy, too…and that just can’t be true! LOL

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

The Venezia has 7 letters, so you might need to cancel and rebook on the Legend.

Come to think of it, you live in New York City, an unfortunately odd 11 letters.

Dang, I think you're gonna have to move! Iowa might work, as long as you don't move to Des Moines. 😁

Ut he could move to Iowa City…or Ames…EM

We usually pick port side because we started out with enough port side cabins that now I just intuitively know which way is the front or aft when I leave my room.  Had a starboard side recently and I swear I spent the entire cruise confused:)  Plus more carnival ships have smoking on starboard than port side. After a cruise long ago where we could smell it on our balcony, we now try to avoid that.

• Like 1

Well, i learned something. smoking on starboard side!  i never paid attention.   hopefully we are high enough on this next cruse that the wind sweeps it away...or maybe the smell will entice me to start a new unhealthy habit! 

10 hours ago, Ashpalo said:

I love you!!! My brain works the EXACT same way! You are not crazy at all…because that would mean I’m crazy, too…and that just can’t be true! LOL

we are both normal, but something is clearly wrong with everyone else!   🥸

11 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I agree living in NYC is in so many ways unfortunate!   haha.  and i have been on the Legend 4 times! not because of lettering but because it just happened to be departing from whichever port i was leaving from at that time.  I really love that ship. it's the perfect size ship for me, i liked Pride (5 letters) for the same reason. 

8 hours ago, jemrtt said:

Port side, aft, if we have a choice. 

one of the best rooms i have had was a Port side/ aft L shaped balcony? not sure what they are called, but it was on the port side / aft and wrapped around from the port side to part of the aft. 

the room was L shaped.  trying to remember what ship that was on, but my mind is failing. it might have been the conquest, (8 letters) but it was a great room.  

53 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

We have no real preference but tend to book port side more often for some reason (channeling our inner pyropoodle, no doubt 🤣). Go and have fun regardless of which side you are on. 🙂 

everyone should channel their inner pyropoodle at some point.  

other things i am really good at, falling UP the stairs, tripping over my own feet, burping when i speak, saying the wrong thing whenever anyone speaks to me, overthinking everything!!!!  

i am a hot mess!  we leave tomorrow and i'm going to report back on how i survived so if anyone else is having this dilemma, maybe i can put their minds at ease 

i am a little obsessed with even numbers, it's true, but not so much in naming conventions. i don't count every letter in words or anything. just footsteps, french fries, how many times i turn on a light switch, you know, normal things .   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always book port side and have never stayed on the other side in over 20 of cruising (CCL & RCCL).  Not sure why or how that got started for us BUT now, I dont think I could not change it.  Now its just an automatic reflex when booking.    

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1