Dr. Odyssey

cmjars

Like my friend, @crzndeb, and as someone who works at at homeport, I actually enjoyed the show.

What stood out for me was the Captain's response when Dr. Odyssey sat down that first evening for the Captain's Dinner and referred to the passengers as those "cruise ship people"

Captain - "you mean as people having too much fun?  Now Doctor, you can not judge our passengers.  We are tending to their dreams.  We have folks who have saved for years, sometimes their whole lives just to pay for this experience at sea.  And other than the birth of their child, or in some cases their wedding, this will be the most exciting week of their entire lives."

At our cruise terminal, we have a daily staff meeting just before opening the terminal for embarkation.  About every few weeks we are reminded that these cruises to Alaska could be someone's bucket list cruise, or their very first cruise ever.  Being reminded of that grounds me, and helps when I have to handle or observe challenging passengers, or their behavior.

Like in life, about 98% of the folks you come in contact with are absolutely fine people.  It is the other 2% that you just shake your head at and wonder, 'why?'.

I plan to keep watching.

• Like 4

I expected fluff and it didn’t disappoint! As another who has cruised many times I had a lot of SMH moments. They had one boat looking for overboard man? And Dr O dove into the water with no life jacket on?!? But I did love the captains speech and yes, loved that he was showing steward how to fold towels! It’s light goofy entertainment for 1/2 hour! 👍

• Like 2

My daughter and I watched it on Hulu this morning, she is crew and I cruise often, so it was fun to critique. Yes it's trashy tv,but we decided it's a good one to watch and drink along with.  Her guess for a major medical event is going to be a helicopter rescue in a storm.  And she said food poisoning not noro because the last doctor was fired for that.  Also, we looked up iodine poisoning, the only mention of it was about this episode, but one reddit guy did the math and came up with the total number of shrimp it takes to cause it, and it was over 600

16 minutes ago, NanciRDH said:

My daughter and I watched it on Hulu this morning, she is crew and I cruise often, so it was fun to critique. Yes it's trashy tv,but we decided it's a good one to watch and drink along with.  Her guess for a major medical event is going to be a helicopter rescue in a storm.  And she said food poisoning not noro because the last doctor was fired for that.  Also, we looked up iodine poisoning, the only mention of it was about this episode, but one reddit guy did the math and came up with the total number of shrimp it takes to cause it, and it was over 600

Well if anyone has watched two and a half men, I bet Jake could eat that much shrimp! 🤗🫢🤢

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2024 at 9:42 PM, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I have visited medical with DH a few times over the years.  The ones I have seen are very utilitarian.  Think industrial metal walls painted white. [no fancy glass and wooden surfaces] There was an ante room for intake/information, a couple/few small exam rooms and a larger room for more complex situations. I doubt even on one of the mentioned upscale cruise lines medical looks like it does on this program. 

A recent trip to a medical center. Offices for the doctors followed by exam/procedure rooms, followed by x-ray and lab facilities. If you get all the way to the back, you come to the morgue (this ship had places for 3 passengers - which have been full in the past).  All space efficient like a normal doctor's office. Nothing fancy. Since some exam rooms double as hospital rooms, they have private bathrooms and showers. 

image.png.e214c6fe44ede38490cc4213325322a9.png

They even import real hospital foods from shore 

image.png.0a3ac9e3ace04753defa5c3a3e497bf3.png

So I finally watched the whole episode, the dance off... lol. But it's fun, whatever- we aren't watching a documentary. I did love the little homage to the Love boat at the end, the crew lined up and everyone who was featured in the show thanking them for helping them have a great cruise.    Didn't expect the doctors to have a little fling in the first episode- they usually build up to that stuff! 

• Like 1

Bird travels, I was in medical center on CCL Venezia. Did not look anything like that! As someone else mentioned, very industrial and stark. I was there for an injury (fractured ribs and sternum in a van in St Tom) vs medical condition and even the X-ray machine was 🤔🙄 but I received good treatment. Hey, it’s Hollywood. I’d expect nothing less from a tv show! 🤓

4 hours ago, lemonadecat said:

What cruise line offers ships similar to the one shown in the series in terms of ambiance, elegance, etc? Getting tired of Virgin and ready for something much nicer. 

I’ve cruised CCL Venezia 4x. Booked 5th for next may. It’s a beautiful ship. For the first time in almost 18 years of CCL cruising  I cruised on Princess 9/14-9/21. Enchanted.  Beautuful, food is outstanding snd very kind of “refined crowd” prob because no kids. It does not have water slides and all that stuff. Only thing I didn’t like “decor wise” was the MDR. Just seemed to me an upscale cafeteria lol. 

2 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

I’ve cruised CCL Venezia 4x. Booked 5th for next may. It’s a beautiful ship. For the first time in almost 18 years of CCL cruising  I cruised on Princess 9/14-9/21. Enchanted.  Beautuful, food is outstanding snd very kind of “refined crowd” prob because no kids. It does not have water slides and all that stuff. Only thing I didn’t like “decor wise” was the MDR. Just seemed to me an upscale cafeteria lol. 

Which of the two is most like the Odyssey on the show? CCL Venezia or Enchanted Princess?

The first stunner that caught my eye: A grinning Captain Don Johnson in "over the top" full uniform with white (patent leather?) shoes. It digressed from there. The doctor housed in a massive luxury mega suite. The medical staff drinking and dancing with passengers on a beach excursion. Terrible acting, even worse writing. And on and on.

However, did I watch the first episode in its entirety? Yes, I did! It was soooooo bad, it was almost good. And the doc is easy on the eyes. Guilty pleasure I guess ... we all need a little of that!

• Like 3

Just hope people who have never cruised don’t get their expectations up!! 🤩 Yes! Guilty pleasure! An escape from reality! Calgon, take me away! 👏

Edited by Crusin Karen
Added sentence
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lemonadecat said:

Which of the two is most like the Odyssey on the show? CCL Venezia or Enchanted Princess?

Haven’t seen enough of O ship to determine! Google pictures of both ships. I’m sure there are lots of videos also. Venezia is very Italian. A really beautiful ship. Lots of private areas to relax if that’s what you enjoy. I loved Enchanted pool but there’s no retractable roof which there is on Venezia but the Venezia pool is small. I loved Enchanted but it doesn’t have the water slides and all that stuff if that’s what you like! I’m an “atrium snob” and loved both but they’re very different. Guess it just depends what you’re looking for. And of course what time of year you cruise! (Lots of kids/families vs not!)  

On 9/26/2024 at 9:51 PM, TahitiDreaming said:

I watched the first 30 minutes then had to turn it off. Not very good writing.

Agreed. Some of the script as well as what takes place on the ship was just laughable. The doctor's room near the medical center looks more like a nice suite. Did anyone who planned this show actually visit a ship's medical area?!  I give this show one season at the most. If someone has never cruised and expects what they see on that show, they'll be in for a bit of a surprise.

Edited by OnTheJourney