Views on Arcadia?

CABINET

We're thinking of going on a cruise to the fjords next year and Arcadia is one of the ships we could choose.  I have looked at customer reviews but of course it tends to be those who aren't particularly happy who leave them.

I can see she is quite an old ship but had a refurbishment in 2013. 

Can anybody who has sailed on her give me a view on what they think of her? We are particularly interested in good food and having things that work as they should.  Researching this and other ships does throw up comments about poor air conditioning for example.   We aren't unduly bothered about shows.

A lot of very fond memories of a lot of lovely cruises on this ship.   Haven't been on board her since 2017, because I've left cruising with P&O for the time being, but always liked her size and layout.   She had (maybe still has) a reputation that her passenger age demographic were older, but I never found this.  She has had plumbing issues on and off for a number of years, but again, I've never experienced this.   Balcony cabins are a bit larger than some of her newer fleet mates.   The food and drink, I always enjoyed (as a teetotal pescatarian) - but that was pre-pandemic standards and the new restaurant booking system (not even sure if this applies to Arcadia, or just the new bigger ships).

3 hours ago, CABINET said:

We're thinking of going on a cruise to the fjords next year and Arcadia is one of the ships we could choose.  I have looked at customer reviews but of course it tends to be those who aren't particularly happy who leave them.

I can see she is quite an old ship but had a refurbishment in 2013. 

Can anybody who has sailed on her give me a view on what they think of her? We are particularly interested in good food and having things that work as they should.  Researching this and other ships does throw up comments about poor air conditioning for example.   We aren't unduly bothered about shows.

Next refurb is just a few weeks away but they don't make it new again they just update things a bit, we are on now and back on after the refurb.

Favourite ship but we know it's not everyone's ideal. Good medium size ship and fairly well behaved if you get poor weather, we have been on it in 10 metre seas off Iceland and still managed to go for dinner!

Air con is just different, there is no off switch you just get to choose the temperature, because of this there are plenty of dry throats and you hear "Arcadia Cough"

We like Sindhu and Ocean Grill but these are much the same on other ships (Sindhu and Epicurean on most of the others) No Glass House, sometimes a pop up version. No Beach House. We hope the refit might bring more choice but doubt it!

Plumbing - I would like to say it's ok but it has issues although not enough to put us off, If your loo doesn't flush someone will fix it pretty quickly, hasn't happened to us in a long time now. You do see buckets and carpet driers on occasions with overhead pipe issues but less on our last cruise and not one on any of the decks we have seen so far the cruise.

We consider the ship as the means of getting to where we want to go rather than a holiday resort, on board entertainment doesn't suit us.

If Arcadia was to go we would hope Ventura became an adult only ship and took on similar itineraries. We liked Aurora but we prefer not to hear our neighbours talking/snoring/shutting drawers 🙂 

As ever, our thoughts are subjective.

• Like 1

We're currently on board (first time on Arcadia) and have found it fine.

Personally, as Vegans, we wouldn't sail on her again as the choice of restaurants is limited. The pool grill hasn't opened at all and we do like the occasional pizza.

Other than that we'd happily go again, can't fault the service.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

We like Sindhu and Ocean Grill but these are much the same on other ships (Sindhu and Epicurean on most of the others) No Glass House, sometimes a pop up version. No Beach House. We hope the refit might bring more choice but doubt it!

I don't believe that the Ocean Grill is on any other P&O ship and it is exclusive to only Arcadia.

The beach house could easily be added as it's mainly in the Buffet area on the other ships. We will see what the refit does when it happens. 

34 minutes ago, SausPud said:

I don't believe that the Ocean Grill is on any other P&O ship and it is exclusive to only Arcadia.

The beach house could easily be added as it's mainly in the Buffet area on the other ships. We will see what the refit does when it happens. 

I don't think The Buffet/Beach House option would work on Arcadia - the last few times I was on there, one side of the buffet was closed off to passengers every evening as it was used as an Officers' dining area, and as I understand it, up until a few months ago this was still the case, although I stand to be corrected.

3 hours ago, LondonLad60 said:

I don't think The Buffet/Beach House option would work on Arcadia - the last few times I was on there, one side of the buffet was closed off to passengers every evening as it was used as an Officers' dining area, and as I understand it, up until a few months ago this was still the case, although I stand to be corrected.

You are indeed correct about the evening buffet arrangement's ,the pop up beach house opposite the ocean grill on certain lunchtimes was very popular, which proves that the market is there for one, the downside is that the ocean grill and beach house would have to share kitchens so not sure how that would work on an evening

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

You are indeed correct about the evening buffet arrangement's ,the pop up beach house opposite the ocean grill on certain lunchtimes was very popular, which proves that the market is there for one, the downside is that the ocean grill and beach house would have to share kitchens so not sure how that would work on an evening

It is a pop up Glass House opposite the Ocean Grill at lunchtime not Beach House. 

6 hours ago, LondonLad60 said:

I was on Arcadia in August and the officers dining area was still in use in the evenings. There is no room for a Beach house which is an evening venue. I believe Arcadias buffet is the worst in the P&O fleet. At least unlike last year we did not have a lot of shop/spa/entertainment staff decending on the buffet like a plague of locusts stripping the serveries. Passengers MUST take priority, after all we are paying for it all. The pop up Glass House should be open on all sea days as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Thanks for correcting my mistake ,just another senior moment, now what days is it !!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Judging by the cruise I was on in the summer, random sea days. One had to keep an eagle eye on Horizon.

Our first time on her May 2023,lovely ship but looking a bit tired,we were told by one officer how nothing had been done for a couple of years due to the pandemic hence much maintenance work going on during the cruise.

Cabin was roomy & comfy with good sized balcony,the theatre is beautiful as is the pub,food & service was great in the MDR with the best meals we have had at sea in Ocean Grill with Sindhu not far behind.

Back on her again in May 2025,can't wait!😎11

We were on this years worldie.  A bit tired in places, but then so am I.  Great Crows Nest.  The best main theatre in the fleet imo.  We did fixed dining which worked well for us.  Poolside grill was ok, would have been better if they did pizzas as well.  The Globe smaller theatre/show lounge was good as well.  We only used the Glass House pop up once and enjoyed it.  Ocean Grill and Sindhu in the evening were not as good.  We had an aft balcony.  Decent size cabin and spacious balcony.  Shower over a bath in those cabins as well.  Spacious open deck by the aft pool.

Overall she remains my favourite.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2024 at 7:12 PM, gsmt47471015 said:

She is getting on a bit now , as long as you are ok with a slightly dated but spacious interior and the odd plumbing issue........

As I read this I thought "How do you know so much about me?"