PACKING CUBES

scorpioncrawl

We use them from time to time for our longer cruises.  I like the fact that they can keep clothes organized, semi wrinkle free and they are easy to pack.  On the other hand, they can make it very easy to over pack and mess with airline weight limits.  I say this especially for guys as it seems our clothes weigh more.  Rolling clothes and packing the cube to the max are pretty easy at time.  We use a hand held scale to ensure there is not a 55 lb elephant in our realm.   Bottom line for me is, as a chronic overpacker, my DW helps me utilize a reasonable combination of cubes and a side with gently packed items for weight control.  

Hope this helps some from that has a love/hate relation with them. >grins< 

Jay 

• Like 3

Another thing I like about packing cubes, is that it makes it easy to cross pack.  I put a packing cube with an (at least) one outfit including undergarments in his checked bag.  Hubby puts a packing cube with some of his clothes in my checked bag.  That way, if one our bags goes astray, we've got a change of clothes.

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, scorpioncrawl said:

Does anyone use packing cubes?  If so, please share the advantages, as I am a OVERPACKER and want to keep weight of suitcase under control

Thanks much!

Packing cubes allow you to fit more into the same space. The use of packing cubes to fit additional items into the suitcase will increase the weight of the suitcase, as packing cubes don't make items lighter.

If you are truly worried about keeping weight under control, packing cubes are only going to allow you to increase the weight.

Perhaps you should be looking at ideas to address your tendency to overpack. I would suggest you start with this YouTube Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDn9l20NlWw

51 minutes ago, scorpioncrawl said:

Does anyone use packing cubes?  If so, please share the advantages, as I am a OVERPACKER and want to keep weight of suitcase under control

Thanks much!

Love packing cubes. My wife and I have two sets of these. Makes packing all around easier.

https://amzn.to/3BzeLFj

56 minutes ago, scorpioncrawl said:

Thanks much!

Instead of buying packing cubes,  try this instead.

- Layout on your bed all the clothes you think you need to pack.

- Put half of the clothes back.

- Pack the rest.

You might also start a packing diary.  

- Record all the clothes you took.

- Record all the clothes you didn't wear.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Instead of buying packing cubes,  try this instead.

- Layout on your bed all the clothes you think you need to pack.

- Put half of the clothes back.

- Pack the rest.

You might also start a packing diary.  

- Record all the clothes you took.

- Record all the clothes you didn't wear.

I used to do this for military deployments and past cruises,  but for some reason I always experience something called "clothes creep".  If I do this too soon before I actually leave, I always seem to think "what if....." and add something.   Could be an OCD thing,  but don't think so.   Oh,  just thought of something I might need on my next cruise.............

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scorpioncrawl said:

To us, they are just another thing to pack. It is really part of the mentality of over packing...  spending money on things to put in your suitcase because one other person did it. Unnecessary. If you are piling stuff in a cube, might as well just leave them stacked in your suitcase. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Triguy2009 said:

I used to do this for military deployments and past cruises,  but for some reason I always experience something called "clothes creep".  If I do this too soon before I actually leave, I always seem to think "what if....." and add something.   Could be an OCD thing,  but don't think so.   Oh,  just thought of something I might need on my next cruise.............

I have a spread sheet that lists everything I need to pack.  

I can add to the sheet if and only if I truly experience needing something not on the list.

I used to travel extensively (military deployments too).  I learned what I need and what I didn't.  

The biggest reason for overpacking is the failure to plan.   Overpackers tend to think, we'll I don't know if I want to wear this outfit or that outfit to (Cagney's).  Of course that means an extra pair of shoes. 

Then there's the 'what will they think if I wear the same outfit twice? What difference does that make?  Are you planning on seeing these people again?

I cured my ex of overpacking when she learned that I wasn't carrying her bags.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I have a spread sheet that lists everything I need to pack.  

I can add to the sheet if and only if I truly experience needing something not on the list.

I used to travel extensively (military deployments too).  I learned what I need and what I didn't.  

The biggest reason for overpacking is the failure to plan.   Overpackers tend to think, we'll I don't know if I want to wear this outfit or that outfit to (Cagney's).  Of course that means an extra pair of shoes. 

Then there's the 'what will they think if I wear the same outfit twice? What difference does that make?  Are you planning on seeing these people again?

I cured my ex of overpacking when she learned that I wasn't carrying her bags.

I totally agree, and I do have a spreadsheet,  but sadly I still get a little creep. Some cruises are easier than others to prep for, a full Caribbean during the summer is harder than a winter coming from the PNW ( We do not like to freeze on the way home) is  I was a flying crewmember so most of the time it was how many green bags to take.  Good thing my DW is understanding, but I still get to bag drag her stuff.  

But there have been some ideas that I will use.   Thanks to all 

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I definitely plan, my problem is that I tend to go on cruises with large temperature fluctuations and less-than-ideal weather conditions. So start in Buenos Aires (90+) and sail to Antarctica (35, with heavy wind). Or Alaska to Hawaii. I don't wear outfits, don't have to bring an extra pair of shoes - but I pack lots of layers because I need to make sure I always have dry warm clothes available, plus warm-weather wear. And I bring camera equipment, so my carryon is basically taken. And I'm solo, so can't share toiletries, otc meds etc.

We use them, but mainly for organization. It's easier to unpack because we just take the cube out of the suitcase and into the dresser/shelf. There are a few things that get hung up, mainly the husband's shirts and a dress or two for me.

Can't really help with the over packing part - it's still a work in progress for me! 😁

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

When I pack, I'm trying to fit everything into a carry on & a personal item.  So, I only use the compression packing cubes and I love them.  It allows me to pack what I need in the space that I have, without having to pay for checked bags.

Definitely compression bags for bulky items like puffer coats. Unfortunately, they don't actually do much for weight.

I combine using HiBag compression bags of various sizes and packing cubes. I use the compression bags to make everything fit in as small a space as possible, while the packing cubes are color organized and labeled. It helps me to pack things and then as I pack to disembark, I don't forget what belongs in each cube.

The other plus with the compression bags is it keeps stuff dry in rain, since I have a soft-sided luggage.

I like them to pack our clothes for the overnight at a hotel before embarkment day so we don't have to rifle thru the luggage to get dressed. Or even for our carry on for return flight in the event of getting stranded at an airport without our luggage

(JFK last year coming home from Greece 😞 )

I use them to just take out of the suitcase and put on the shelf or in the dresser drawer, helps my DH to be able to find his stuff without digging thru my stuff!

I feel they keep my DH dress shirts neater and not requiring me to iron them once we arrive, well I should rephase that. I don't iron, I rewash first 🙂

What I don't use and don't understand the need for is the over the door organizer hanger thing!

• Like 2

I'm a very light packer (carry on only) and I never use packing cubes for a cruise since you unpack once and stay in the same room.  Packing cubes make sense for me when I'm doing a land trip with frequent changes in hotels.  When you are packing, unpacking and re-packing every couple of days the cubes make it easy to pick up and go quickly. 

Cross packing is smart but no need for it when you only have carry on bags and I definitely would not want my rather messy husband going through my bag and up-ending my neatly rolled stuff! 

I don't find the over the door organizer any use for just two people in a cabin BUT found it very handy when we used to travel with kids.  We had a big family and when we were four people in each cabin it made it easy to keep things neat and not be asked every two seconds where something is. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

To us, they are just another thing to pack. It is really part of the mentality of over packing...  spending money on things to put in your suitcase because one other person did it. Unnecessary. If you are piling stuff in a cube, might as well just leave them stacked in your suitcase. 

They are extremely small and lightweight, and it's nice to keep the various types of clothes together. I think they help me pack lightly.

Packing cubes are the greatest invention in the history of travel.  Okay, perhaps a bit of hyperbole there.  That said, I have four cubes that fill the top of my suitcase.  Shirts/pants/boxers-socks/overflow.  They come out of my suitcase in the cabin or hotel room and just get tossed on the closet floor or other convenient location.  Dirty clothes get tossed into a dresser drawer until laundry day or disembark (when remainder go into now-empty cubes).  I am continually baffled by discussions about this mysterious unknown unpacking/packing burden.  Those folks are simply doing it WRONG. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Been using packing cubes for years (and before that, zip-lock bags). I like to keep my clothes organized...I use a cube or two in my carry-on bag so on the travel days before boarding, I don't have to access my checked bag...it can sit in the corner of the hotel for 2 or 3 days. And if my checked bag were to get lost, I have a couple of days worth of clothes with me. And on the rare occasion when I have been pulled aside by TSA (even in the pre-check line), I can easily pull out the offending article without rummaging thru my whole bag. Plus I don't like TSA (or anyone) touching my 'stuff' if they go in. Has anyone ever seen a passenger in the line have to open their suitcase and everything falls out onto the ground because it was loosely packed into their case? I have and it's not pretty. Would rather have my packing cubes fall out if that happens.

Once onboard, some cubes go on shelves and other clothes are hung up; empty cubes are replaced with dirty clothes so end of cruise packing is 90% finished by the last day. I do tend to overpack (getting better) but wear everything I pack and am never overweight (avg about 37-40 lbs). If I can't manage my own bag(s), I am taking too much stuff.

• Like 3

Someone gave me a large set of them. I can appreciate the organization but it adds the extra step of writing down what you packed else you need to unzip all of those little packets.  Actually writing down everything has reduced how much I pack so that is a plus.  

the biggest benefit is I pack one for the first night in the hotel and one for the last night on ship and that is a big help

• Like 1

Packing cubes are a waste of time for a single a 'single unpack' trip - i.e. pack suitcase, go to cruise ship, then unpack everything.

However at the opposite end of the scale where you are doing a multi-stop tour and staying in multiple different locations, then packing cubes are worth their weight in gold.

On those multi-stop tours you can pack each stops clothes into a separate cube and then only open that cube at that stop - surprisingly those clothes that remain packed in cubes stay pretty crease free (particularly if you roll the items), and they stay far more crease free than if they had remained in the suitcase whilst you rummaged in their for that stop's clothes.

• Like 1