If you want to go bare bones, what lines/ships would you recommend?

Already thinking about a third cruise, (with our second starting in 3 months... Okay, I may have a problem! 🤣)

The first was a 50th birthday splurge with a full suite on NCL. The upcoming is in a "mini suite" (reserve collection) on Princess. Both of these have a lot of perks we really enjoy, but I also feel like we did things backwards, and am toying with trying something entirely different - interior cabin, no upgrade packages, etc.

Keys for us: ability to find quiet areas in the ship outside our cabin, not a wild drinking/party situation, departing and returning within U.S., decent dining variety that's not a buffet (without an upcharge), and under 4000 passengers.

Any recommendations?

RC's Vision of the Seas out of Baltimore (BWI airport).  Mostly 9- and 12-night itineraries, occasional 5-nighters to Bermuda.  About 2200 passengers, mostly well-behaved adults.

• Thanks 1

That is the type of cruising we do now almost all the time. An OV cabin is a treat if it is close to an inside price. You can find this on almost every cruiseline, including Celebrity. We just book a basic cabin without the package. We have TMobile, so we wait until we are on land to communicate. We are okay without drinking alcohol, which is our normal pattern anyway. We cruise four times a year, therefore we don't splurge on extras. This strategy makes it possible to see lots of great places in Europe or get away from the cold north in the winter. 

• Like 4

Based on your past experiences I would say Celebrity (not the edge class but any of the others).  But Celebrity is not really what I would call bare bone.    You might also consider MSC value for money, as it is on the cheaper side for bare bones, is really good.   

• Thanks 1

Not sure what you mean by bare bones. 

To avoid the drunk fest, the last line to look at is Carnival, especially their older ships.

If you're looking for a quiet, relaxing cruise, try Holland America.  Their Vista and Signature Class ships have some nice size interiors.  

image.png.c7563b772bbc942259e31f5f5ee8f20e.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like Holland for one of their port intensive sailings.  My motto is to buy the least cabin I can be comfortable in, usually a well placed large inside or OV the spend, spend,spend onshore.  I am all about where I am going.  Cruises for me are transportation and a replacement for trains, cars and planes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the OP's question is more complex than one might think, at first glance.  It sounds like they want a less expensive option on a decent ship that is NOT a party ship.  That eliminates the small ship luxury lines (because of cost), Carnival (generally a party crowd), and MSC (a party crowd and usually packed-in like sardines).  

So, what to do?  First, I will comment on the Reserve Mini-Suite of Princess.  We have over 35 Princess cruises (some are long cruises) and have always enjoyed just booking one of the lower category mini-suites.  It saves a lot of money over the "Reserve" suites and you get the exact same type of cabin (although the location is not in the center of the ship).  You lose out on the "reserve" dining which really is not much different than the non-reserve dining.  While some might think the reserve dining option is worth it, we find it not very valuable.  We tend to dine about 7:30 - 7:45, simply make reservations on the app (often on that day or perhaps one day in advance) and seldom wait more than a few minutes to be seated.  The way we see reserve is that we are paying a lot of extra money for one extra main course (which we often would not get).

If the OP really likes Princess, they could simply book a lower category cabin (perhaps a Deluxe balcony or a regular mini-suite) without any package!  One could also look at booking on Celebrity with a normal balcony cabin and no extra packages.  I mention Celebrity since that line is similar to Princess in many ways.  With Celebrity, we actually prefer their older Solstice Class ships (Solstice, Silhouette, Reflection, Eclipse, Equinox) where you get real balconies as compared to the usually more expensive infinity balconies (most like a French balcony) on their Edge Class ships.

All the mass market ships sell (and heavily market) "packages" which are designed to separate customers from their money.  One can always save money by avoiding packages and practicing a somewhat frugal existence on the ships.  Avoid the shops, photo stuff, minimize drinks that cost money, avoid alternative restaurants, etc.  Drink packages do add a lot of cost, and if one just settles for 1 or 2 drinks per day, then they are going to save a lot of money.

I will add that, many times, you do get what you pay for in the cruise world.  And sometimes, it does not cost much more to cruise on a premium or luxury line when you consider what is included.  We have cruised on Seabourn (a small ship luxury line), which is truly all-inclusive, for less than $400 per person day.  This sounds like a lot until you consider that you get a suite (they only have suites), there is no tipping, all drinks are included, no extra fees for alternative dining, etc.  And when you are on a small ship with only a few hundred passengers, it is like night/day when compared to large mass market ships.  A different, much more quiet, and luxury experience.

Where is the best deal in cruising?  It might be MSC's Yacht Club.  This does cost more, but it gets you into a quiet luxury part of the ship, a suite, lots of perks, etc.  The biggest problem with the Yacht Club is that it tends to book-up very far in advance because many folks have discovered the value!  Paying more, for a lot more, is sometimes the best value.

Hank

• Thanks 2

I'm loving all this feedback, thank you! Especially when I may not have made my thought process entirely clear.

I'm not trying to replicate the experiences we've had with the previous cabin choices in a lower cost cabin (I wish... 😂), but instead wanted to find a good experience *without* all the extras.

Basically which line/ship would offer the best experience without add ons. If all we did was free ship activities, wander ports without excursions, eat at free venues, and just use our cabin to sleep, clean, dress... where would that still be a good experience.

And the truth may be any ship could do that, minus the tiny (no space to get away from crowds outside the cabin) or party boats (just not our vibe).

Thanks again for all the great feedback to date!!

Ive traveled a lot of lines and never failed to find a quiet place to get away from the crowds to read, do a little needlework, etc.  There are a,ways lounges that are not in use during the day.  My only complaint is that the ships tend to specialize in furniture that is not comfortable for sitting more than a few minutes, if that.  Grab one of the throw pillows from your cabin and carry it around.  The ships of. Unarmed have wonderful, expansive libraries with comfortable seating.  I don’t travel in suites, and usually not balconies.  I don’t cruise to sit in and admire my cabin.  People watching can be very amusing/rewarding.  EM

• Thanks 1

We are "frugal" cruisers - DH really likes the darkness of an interior so that is our go to cabin (35 days this summer and we survived still married).  We sailed 22 days on Oceania (premium cruise line) for less than 7 days in a suite on Celebrity or Princess.  We really enjoyed the food and abundance of quiet spaces to enjoy the sea.  For us the itinerary is the key.  We do plan in advance in order to book right after release of cruise as it has always been the best price.  We do not get a drink plan nor buy internet though have status on two lines that get us a bit of free internet and a couple drinks.  We shop for transatlantic cruises which can transport us to Europe for cruise/land travel for the same as flying.  Not for everyone but we are really enjoying our travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think the OP's question is more complex than one might think, at first glance.  It sounds like they want a less expensive option on a decent ship that is NOT a party ship.  That eliminates the small ship luxury lines (because of cost), Carnival (generally a party crowd), and MSC (a party crowd and usually packed-in like sardines).  

So, what to do?  First, I will comment on the Reserve Mini-Suite of Princess.  We have over 35 Princess cruises (some are long cruises) and have always enjoyed just booking one of the lower category mini-suites.  It saves a lot of money over the "Reserve" suites and you get the exact same type of cabin (although the location is not in the center of the ship).  You lose out on the "reserve" dining which really is not much different than the non-reserve dining.  While some might think the reserve dining option is worth it, we find it not very valuable.  We tend to dine about 7:30 - 7:45, simply make reservations on the app (often on that day or perhaps one day in advance) and seldom wait more than a few minutes to be seated.  The way we see reserve is that we are paying a lot of extra money for one extra main course (which we often would not get).

If the OP really likes Princess, they could simply book a lower category cabin (perhaps a Deluxe balcony or a regular mini-suite) without any package!  One could also look at booking on Celebrity with a normal balcony cabin and no extra packages.  I mention Celebrity since that line is similar to Princess in many ways.  With Celebrity, we actually prefer their older Solstice Class ships (Solstice, Silhouette, Reflection, Eclipse, Equinox) where you get real balconies as compared to the usually more expensive infinity balconies (most like a French balcony) on their Edge Class ships.

All the mass market ships sell (and heavily market) "packages" which are designed to separate customers from their money.  One can always save money by avoiding packages and practicing a somewhat frugal existence on the ships.  Avoid the shops, photo stuff, minimize drinks that cost money, avoid alternative restaurants, etc.  Drink packages do add a lot of cost, and if one just settles for 1 or 2 drinks per day, then they are going to save a lot of money.

I will add that, many times, you do get what you pay for in the cruise world.  And sometimes, it does not cost much more to cruise on a premium or luxury line when you consider what is included.  We have cruised on Seabourn (a small ship luxury line), which is truly all-inclusive, for less than $400 per person day.  This sounds like a lot until you consider that you get a suite (they only have suites), there is no tipping, all drinks are included, no extra fees for alternative dining, etc.  And when you are on a small ship with only a few hundred passengers, it is like night/day when compared to large mass market ships.  A different, much more quiet, and luxury experience.

Where is the best deal in cruising?  It might be MSC's Yacht Club.  This does cost more, but it gets you into a quiet luxury part of the ship, a suite, lots of perks, etc.  The biggest problem with the Yacht Club is that it tends to book-up very far in advance because many folks have discovered the value!  Paying more, for a lot more, is sometimes the best value.

Hank

Agree on MSc YC , they do offer an inside cabin in YC with giving you great perks , premium drink package, WiFi, good suite restaurants, nice entertainment in the YC lounge every night .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, George C said:

Agree on MSc YC , they do offer an inside cabin in YC with giving you great perks , premium drink package, WiFi, good suite restaurants, nice entertainment in the YC lounge every night .

Just be aware that those inside cabins are not available on some of the older MSC ships (such as the Divina).  But I agree that it's a fabulous deal since you get all the YC perks for a bargain price.  A great option for folks that are comfy with nice inside suites.

Hank

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rcmaheather said:

I'm loving all this feedback, thank you! Especially when I may not have made my thought process entirely clear.

I'm not trying to replicate the experiences we've had with the previous cabin choices in a lower cost cabin (I wish... 😂), but instead wanted to find a good experience *without* all the extras.

Basically which line/ship would offer the best experience without add ons. If all we did was free ship activities, wander ports without excursions, eat at free venues, and just use our cabin to sleep, clean, dress... where would that still be a good experience.

And the truth may be any ship could do that, minus the tiny (no space to get away from crowds outside the cabin) or party boats (just not our vibe).

It wouldn’t satisfy your <4000 ask, but have you looked at the virtual interiors on Royal Caribbean’s newer ships?  Oasis and Icon classes might be too big for you, but the Quantum Class ships are really nice and the free activities and entertainment are amazing. 

• Like 2

Shipgeeks hit the nail on the head. Baltimore Vision of the seas will be perfect for you. The prices are great and if you stay at the Best Western on O' Donnell street your parking is about 60$ extra for you trip. My 12 day cruise in November I am paying 210$ for my room, shuttle(round trip), breakfast and parking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

Shipgeeks hit the nail on the head. Baltimore Vision of the seas will be perfect for you. The prices are great and if you stay at the Best Western on O' Donnell street your parking is about 60$ extra for you trip. My 12 day cruise in November I am paying 210$ for my room, shuttle(round trip), breakfast and parking.

You would also need to consider the OP would have about a 12 hour drive (each way) just to get to Baltimore!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You would also need to consider the OP would have about a 12 hour drive (each way) just to get to Baltimore!

Apart from Great Lakes cruises, there are not many options for Chicago residents!

Fly into BWI the day before, use the hotel's shuttle service.

We have met passengers who drove to Baltimore from several areas of Canada, North Dakota, Las Vegas, and other distant areas.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2024 at 10:38 AM, rcmaheather said:

Based on this, I'd consider HAL. The pluses: a lot of things that other lines have discontinued or that they charge for are still included in your basic fare on HAL. Rooms are cleaned/turned down twice daily. Room service is FREE for most items. (A few items, such as ones coming from onboard restaurants have a charge.) And food in the MDR is still pretty decent compared with many other mass-market lines. The larger ships have some nice no-cost food options including a great burger place (Dive-In) and another place with decent pizzas and salads (NY Deli -- the sandwiches are less successful).

The downside is a decided lack of activities during the day. The HAL crowd tend to self-entertain when not ashore so while there are a few decent options (like pickleball and trivia), it's pretty quiet. And if your destination is the Caribbean, HAL doesn't go in for things like a steel-drum band poolside, so be forewarned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grrrr, Cruise Critic just "ate" my reply. But based on what the OP has clarified, I'd suggest HAL. 

Some things that other mass market lines charge extra for are still included on HAL including twice-daily visit by room steward to clean/refresh/turn down. There is no charge for room service except for a few items from specialty restaurants (and you can order from the MDR menu and have it served in your room if you want...) 

HAL's MDR food is still pretty good compared with other mass-market lines. And there are other interesting options including a free casual burger place (Dive-In). Larger ships have NY Deli (sandwiches, salads, pizza) and the Grand Dutch Cafe (breakfast treats and sweets, light sandwiches, the famous split pea soup, etc.).

The downside is activities -- they are sparse on HAL especially during the day. About the best you can hope for is pickleball, a few stretching/dance moves classes, and trivia. Origami is sometimes offered but in a small classroom that's always full. Adult coloring -- I'll pass. HAL passengers tend to be self-entertaining on days at sea. The ships do have libraries. 

Also keep in mind, if you're considering the Caribbean, that HAL doesn't go in for things like a steel-drum band poolside. On the other hand, their private island is one of the nicer ones, IMO.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2024 at 7:38 AM, rcmaheather said:

This is basically how my dh and I cruise. We are not drinkers, so we don’t buy the packages. We are fine with the free drinks offered and the free meals. We rarely if ever buy an excursion, unless it’s something that could take us far from the port and make it a long day. While we have cruised Carnival (party atmosphere) and will again, Holland America (amazing food included), NCL (eh), we MUCH prefer Princess. 

• Thanks 1