Cost Question - If you need to visit the doctor onboard

3 years ago on Allure, I needed to visit the medical center. My bill was close to $300 which I had to pay. Charged it to my sea pass account. Thankfully we had trip insurance. They wanted me to submit it to my health insurance first, then they paid without a problem. Took a couple of weeks to get reimbursed.

I always have trip insurance for cases like this... the insurance was no where near $300 so it paid for itself.

I never leave home without the insurance but have never had to use it (Thank God). However, in January I was on a girl's cruise on the Jewel with my friends and my cousin joined us. On embarkation day, she had a seizure in our owner's suite and was taken down to medical. She was not well, they did blood work, IV fluids etc., and she was taken to the hospital in San Juan. Her bill on the ship was $728.55 and then I was asked to pay $150 in cash to the ambulance for the transport. She did not get the insurance. Her sea pass card was charged for her two hour stay down in medical. I highly recommend you all get the insurance, you don't want this to happen.

not always true.... if the USCG does the medical evacuation, there is no charge

Actually several years ago my father in law had to be airlifted off the Allure. Fortunately his is OK and cruised many many times after. However, he did get a bill from the US for $35K for the airlift. Luckily he had insurance which covered the cost entirely.

I have a question John. I thought Blue Cross didn't cover the expense if you went to the doctor onboard because the doctors are usually non US based. How did it work for you?

Maybe I missed the point, but I thought John was referring to ER visits.

Actually several years ago my father in law had to be airlifted off the Allure. Fortunately his is OK and cruised many many times after. However, he did get a bill from the US for $35K for the airlift. Luckily he had insurance which covered the cost entirely.

Not sure who billed your father, but it shouldn't have been USCG. They fly you from ship to shore for free. After that you're on your own.

From recent cc thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2464775

From travel insurance broker Insuremytrip.com:

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/medical-evacuation-costs/

I have a question John. I thought Blue Cross didn't cover the expense if you went to the doctor onboard because the doctors are usually non US based. How did it work for you?

Beats me, I got one of those bills with all the codes, mailed it to BCBS and they sent me a reimbursement. Easy peasy. I don't recall ever hearing that blue cross only worked with US based doctors.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Medicare will cover some out of country (mostly Mexico & Canada) it that's the closest hospital. Medicare will also cover on the cruise ship if it's within six hours of a US port. Some Medicare supplement plans cover outside the country, mine does. My DW's Kaiser will cover outside the country.

I have priced the GeoBlue plans for some upcoming travel and the price and coverage is fairly cheap. Plus if you use their preferred providers you don't have to pay up front they will bill GeoBlue. Only thing their EVAC only takes you to the nearest capable hospital, whereas MedJet will bring you home.

Will have to verify the Mexico and Canada coverage as Medicare literature uses the example I gave earlier. Interesting about 6 hour distance. Interesting about supplement coverage. Supplemental policies vs Advantage Medicare plans have differences. That is something I need to check on. Will have to check it out this week.

Will check out MedJet too!

Thanks!

I just took a poll on here about the biggest fear about cruising and one of the answers was getting sick since I didn't buy insurance.... This now has me thinking we ALWAYS buy insurance but to date (and 12+ cruises behind us) we have never needed it nor have we ever had the need to visit the doctor while on board.

The question is... What are the charges for visiting the doctor onboard? Is it like going to a regular doctor's office...meaning an office visit charge, etc...and how much has this run you?

Which leads to the next question - does insurance (purchased either independently or through the cruise line) cover this charge? Say you develop a bad cold on board and need medicine?

I'll be interested to read your answers

Thanks

Alot of people over the age of 65 don't realize once they leave the US their Medicare won't cover them. That is why it is important to purchase insurance. Could be lots of $$$. We have always used Travel Guard and been happy with product and service.

Almost as important as medical/travel insurance (which honestly I wish the cruise lines would make mandatory) is a credit card with a high limit.

Most people don't realize that medical facilities in other countries will often require payment up front before they will treat you. Many of the supplemental insurance policies we all buy are secondary plans and you are reimbursed for the expenses after you get home.

My wife had an accident on a cruise ship a few months ago. Initially they charged $371.00.We would have submitted the bill to our insurance and would have been reimbursed ,However as the accident was caused by a faulty wire on the ship they waived the charges for medical care.

Almost as important as medical/travel insurance (which honestly I wish the cruise lines would make mandatory) is a credit card with a high limit.

Most people don't realize that medical facilities in other countries will often require payment up front before they will treat you. Many of the supplemental insurance policies we all buy are secondary plans and you are reimbursed for the expenses after you get home.

Why?

Yes, including the US which is an 'other country' for me. About ten years ago I had to visit the ER in Manhattan and was charged $812.00 before I could see the Dr - I only needed a prescription for antibiotics! Happily the reception lady submitted the receipt directly to my travel insurance company and the $ was in my account a week later.

Will have to verify the Mexico and Canada coverage as Medicare literature uses the example I gave earlier. Interesting about 6 hour distance. Interesting about supplement coverage. Supplemental policies vs Advantage Medicare plans have differences. That is something I need to check on. Will have to check it out this week.

Will check out MedJet too!

Thanks!

I found excellent information on AARP's www site, which is who I have my supp with.

I actually work for BCBS and I will say it definitely depends on what your specific insurance says about coverage outside of the US. Every plan is different. A lot of plans state it's up to the discretion of the insurance company to decide if they will cover charges outside the US. For my company that basically means if you submit a claim for reimbursement, we will only pay if it's something we would consider an emergency.

I worked for a travel insurance company briefly a few years ago and saw some shocking amounts being charged for medical care overseas, we would have cases where the facility wouldn't provide treatment until we wired funds. I think most people are aware that it's like that here in the US for tourists but don't realize that it happens elsewhere too.

I think most people are aware that it's like that here in the US for tourists but don't realize that it happens elsewhere too.

I have never heard of this in the US, in fact many hospitals make it a point to state that inability to pay will not deny treatment.

• 9 months later...

I know this thread is old but we just had a medical emergency on our NCL cruise. My DH went into a cardiac arrest, he was super healthy and a young 50. Anyways by some miracle he survived thanks to bystanders performing CPR and the ships infirmary team. He was hit with the dibibulator 4 times and injected 4 times, after not breathing for approximately 21 minutes he miraculously was alert and talking with hours. I can't say enough about the ships staff.

The ship hauled to bermuda early We were taken off the ship via Pilot boat, then transported to the Bermuda hospital, from there he seemed stable but he had a small relapse, not paddle but enough that an emergency airvac was needed $17,000 and needed to be paid upfront before they pick you up. We were then sent to Boston, we had a choice between, NC, FL or Boston. It was the scariest thing that ever happened to us before.

Our bill for NCL was $23,000, you can't place a value on a life I say however we are now walking poster boards for insurance which we didn't take. We are hoping our insurance will cover it because it is considered a medical emergency.

We are so grateful he had a second chance and NCL helped him considering chances of survival appears to be only 10.6%. I'm also gratful it happened where it did because any other place he may not have had the same the outcome.

I'll try and give you an update if insurance covers out of the country. I know insurance companies varies as well.

Years ago (about 15) Mrs Gut had an accident and needed to visit the Dr they took a look, but some antiseptic cream on and a bandage (that’s all they did) bill was over $800. Fortunately the line said it was there fault and waived the bill

• Like 1