best time to do laundry

love2bonboard

Can someone tell me what time of day is best/worst to do laundry. I pack light and will plan to do a few loads during my 2 week cruise. Are the laundry rooms always crowded and is it bad form to use a different decks' laundry room if your decks' is being used?

... is it bad form to use a different decks' laundry room if your decks' is being used?

The public facilities are for all the passengers. Public facilities, including the laundry room, on deck seven are available for the use of all the passengers, not just the passengers whose cabin is on deck seven.

Laundry rooms are busiest on sea days. They are least crowded in the mornings when the ship is in port.

You can use the facilities on any deck.

BTW, there is a change machine in each laundry, but they are sometimes out of coins. Get change before you will be doing the laundry. You can go to the purser's desk if need be.

We found the laundry room to be relatively empty immediately after returning from port and before sail away. We started the laundry, took a 30 minute cat nap and returned about 10 minutes before it needed to be switched. As we were finishing, several others started to come in and there was a line forming.

We usually pick a port day when we're not in a hurry to get off the ship. We will put in a load than go to breakfast. When we are finished breakfast it is usually ready for the dryer. When we did it once on a sea day we had walkie talkies and DH and I went from floor to floor until one of us found an avaiable washer. They alternate front and back of the ship on different floors so that way we didn't have to keep walking the length of the ship just run up the stairs.

Some of the ships, such as the Tahitian Princess, only have one laundry area so you need to have a strategy to avoid the lines. Also, the machines on that ship automatically dispense the detergent which is included in the price of the machine.

As mentioned, try not use sea days unless you go near lunch time or the first traditional dining period.

No baskets -- take your own collapsible hamper or one of those new large ziplock bags.

Number of Machines (pairs) vary from 2 to 6. For example, Caribe deck may have 6 pairs and on the same ship Dolphin may have only 4.

Are there laundry baskets available? How many machines are in each laundry?

Laundry - on a cruise?

Isn't that why we pack so much clothing.....?

If all else fails, take advantage of the near-end-of-the-cruise-all-you-can-pack-into-one-big-bag for about $15 the lot (folded and delivered, while you soak up the sun up on deck).

you do't say if you are on a true 14 day trip, or two 7 dayers where some people will be getting on and off the ship. i would guess the luandry will be empty the first three days. After that it will be hit and miss depending on the time of day.

Don't expect giant machines that will take everyones clothes at once. You might want to make this one of your "let's take a look" side trips on your first day.

;)

We found that Sunday can be a bad day to do laundry if there are many people from Europe on board as that is the day many from Europe prefer to do laundry.

Or are you suggesting that Europeans have regimented attitudes to housework?:rolleyes:

Seriously early on any day is normally OK.

Don't expect giant machines that will take everyones clothes at once. You might want to make this one of your "let's take a look" side trips on your first day.

Now as a European we find the machines are much bigger than our teeny front loaders, and the top loading driers leave the laundry much more wrinkle free than ours do.:cool: Or so my DW says.

i will wait and do it when i return.Never took the time while on vacation and never will.Time is toooooo valuable.I either bring enough and maybe once have used a drycleaning laundry service where they pick it up,do it and return the clothes when done while i am on vacation.I'm sure not doing it and my wife does enough all year for us and kids!

Doing laundry while on a cruise has never been a problem. Either I go or my husband goes. Since we usually eat in the buffet we try doing it around early seating. We have purchased clothing that requires little or no ironing and it really helps. I would rather have room in my suitcase for my purchases than a load of clothes.

Having the option to do laundry or not on trips longer than 7 days is really a help. The next best thing would be clothes you wear once or twice and throw away!!! What a luxury that would be.

I dont know about laundry, but too many (all nationalities) on the cruise stick to their daily routines -- they all show up at the "buffet" at 8 am and noon!

;)

Or are you suggesting that Europeans have regimented attitudes to housework?:rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

Free laundry is the only thing I like about CCL (I am plat there!).

For laundry, bring some cheap soap from home. I often can find a small box of concentrated detergent from the dollar store (takes less weight in the suit case).

As the days roll on, they get more crowded. Bring some top of the line Glad trash bags for your close- it is pretty embarrassing to have a cheap Costco bag rip showing other cruisers your dirty clothes!

Also, clean BOTH lint screens in the dryer to help drying time. Before you say you do, do you KNOW where the second screen is? The one in the dryer itself is obvious but there is another where the dryer hose enters the wall, behind the machine. There is a long handle attached to it (it is quite accessible)- remove it and you'll probably find a bunch of lint. The whole screen-attached to the handle- thingy is maybe 4' long.

Archived