Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

I am glad to hear how this will benefit so many of you. Now if they would only do something for gold. Without the commemorative gift now, all we basically have is the coupon book which does me no good anyway. Spend something to get a discount on something I'm not going to buy anyway.

Not to be a pain, but how is this different than having the overflow lounges? It sounds like it was about money vs. room.

I have no dog in this fight as I am not a diamond, just trying to figure out the logic.

I thought the same thing, but it is not unlimited liquor but discounted liquor which is fine by me. I think this is step in the right direction.

Thanks for the post. It does seem to me that they are trying. I have rad most of the other posts and I can see both sides of the coin. We were going to continue to sail RC regardless of the situation D & D+. We jsut turned Diamond in November and just got off of the Voyager yesterday and used the CL quite extensively. But, that is not the reason we sail RC. It is because of the great people whether they are passengers or crew that we have the pleasure to meet and enjoy their company.

Thanks again for the post, now I'm waiting for my e-mail.

Can't wait till I see it on the Web site, or get my own email. I never got the original email and I have a cruise booked 7-12-09. YIPEE!!!

I hope we can get over all the negativity and start looking forward to cruising again!

Mr. Goldstein is attempting to rectify the situation, lets give him some credit!

Some folks will be upset with this partly because it does not reverse the rules and that is actually what they are after - not compromise just total reversal. Not going to happen though nor shld it, IMO anyway!

Unfortunately RC created a problem and the solution is causing some folks a lot of 'angst'.. I see no other real solution either - but please RC - lets also address the rapid D & D+ creation before another 'solution' sends D+ers are on the 'warpath' too!.. :)

RTC can't please everyone so while they will modify somewhat, they have to 'please' themselves (read shareholders here)..and the e-mails, letters & phone calls won't change that..

Have happy cruisin'!

Thanks for the info. Since I never got the first email, I don't think I'll be getting this one either.

We have been reading all about the changes on the boards as we never received the original notification either.

I have not posted any complaints and have just been absorbing everything. It is nice to know that the line we have all loved is interested in making modifications in order to accomodate and continue to please those of us who are (or will become) diamond members.

Thanks again RCCL.

We have been reading all about the changes on the boards as we never received the original notification either.

I have not posted any complaints and have just been absorbing everything. It is nice to know that the line we have all loved is interested in making modifications in order to accomodate and continue to please those of us who are (or will become) diamond members.

Thanks again RCCL.

Well said and I agree!

You are not the only one wondering about the overcrowding, we have sailed several times this year and failed to notice it. While the lounge has more people in it before 1st seating it empties out when they go to the

D.R. and there are plenty of seats available for the rest of the happy hour.

It may vary from cruise to cruise and ship to ship but I can personally attest to the overcrowding on several of our cruises on Jewel of the Seas over the past several years. On each occasion it was necessary to open a satellite lounge to handle the overflow. On last year's Transatlantic there were more than 700 diamond, diamond plus and suite guests onboard necessitating the opening of both the Hollywood Odyssey and the Vortex to handle all of the eligible cruisers. On the Jewel repositioning out of Boston, last October, there were only 300 or so eligible cruisers so only the concierge lounge and the Hollywood Odyssey were required. On a C&A members cruise on Freedom of the Seas in October, 2006, they had to use one of the lounges off the Royal Promenade to handle the crowds during the cocktail hour. Anyone who reads these boards with any regularity has seen it mentioned that they often have had to open a satellite lounge to handle all of the eligible cruisers. The overcrowding isn't the figment of someone's imagination. It has become more the norm as the number of diamond and diamond plus members has increased which is part of the reason the changes were announced. The latest announcement seems to be a reasonable attempt on the part of RCI to address the legitimate objections of those who felt damaged. It isn't perfect but then few compromises are.:)

Now waiting on posts to this new policy...it seems most everything was given back except fo the drinks.....lets see what the 575 posts here stating "it's not about the drinks" have to say! :p I personally think this is a good comprimize....

to those that asked what lounges I have seen full I will post again for the 4th time...I am only refering to what MANY others here as well as RCI has said...I have NEVER stepped foot on an RC ship though I am Platinum!:eek: :p

BUT............I am a happy camper my CL won't be crowded when I hang out there on the Mariner soon! Good thing its after 1 Sept!! :D

...well we didn't have to wait too long. Someone has already posted their opinion with

"Also offer 25% off on watered down beverages ( as they say at a discount price...big deal), offer a continental breakfast from 8-10 with choice of apple or raspberry day old pastries, orange juice or coffee. Mr. Goldstein you still skirt the primary issues of the many loyal RCCL cruisers while making it look like you're doing us such a big favor."

Now all of a sudden it's water down drinks and day old pastries that is wrong with all of this. If it was this bad in the CL BEFORE the policy changes, then why would anyone want it back in their perks to begin with??? I guess there just isn't any room for compromise in anything, just give it all back to them wholly or risk them leaving! With this attitude, perhaps it's better to see them go!

After all the hoopla about this not being all about free drinks, what are we to make of this comment?????

Sheesh, the man just tried to explain in detail what his company is trying to do with all that it is going through at this time. Making changes for any company is a hard venture because you won't be able to please all the people all of the time. Now after going back to make revisions that somewhat are a bit better than before, the only thing that matters (as you so posted) is the 25% discount you'll receive and yet you've got some inside info that they've raised their drink prices up 25%. You said nothing about being able to enjoy this event for each night of the week instead of the one time event previously offered. Some people will NEVER be satisfied with anything! It's just a "gimmie gimmie gimmie"!!!

In a nutshell- when you read the letter, It's the only thing that has changed.

If you had bothered to read the many comments about the cost of drinks on this board you will have seen many complaints this year about the 25% increase in price.

These enhancements will be instituted on all our ships that don't have a Diamond Lounge today.

Wait a minute. If this means that there will be a gathering of Diamonds each night with wine/champagne on ALL the ships ... even the ones that don't have a Concierge Lounge, then I'd say this is exciting news! It means that those of us who prefer the small ships will have a benefit that was not heretofore offered.

Thanks again RCCL.

well said...:):cool: i applaud the effort RCI has put forth to rectify this situation.

It looks like they are reversing a little

From Adan Goldstein

April 13, 2009

Dear Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus, Diamond and Platinum Members,

I am writing to provide you with an update regarding the recent changes to our Crown & Anchor® Loyalty Program.

The strong response from our Diamond members regarding our recent changes demonstrates how much the Concierge Lounges are valued and we clearly should honor that response. The feedback we have received from Diamond members falls primarily into one of the three following categories:

Preserving the social aspect - the ability to meet and mingle with other members

Maintaining free or reduced price drinks

And, access to concierge-type services for ice show tickets and other activities

In order to address the first two interests for Diamond members, outside the Concierge Lounge, effective September 1 we will offer them a dedicated VIP private party in one of our bars or lounges. This may be held in the Viking Crown Lounge, or any other bar or lounge designated by the ship. In this dedicated area, from approximately 5 to 8 p.m., we will offer complimentary wine and champagne and a happy hour discount of 25 percent off all other beverages. This will be offered every day of each sailing and will replace our recently announced one-time per-cruise special Diamond party.

Additionally, we will offer a new continental breakfast from approximately 8 to 10 a.m. in one of the rooms adjacent to the main dining room onboard. During these morning hours, a crew member will be present and will provide services such as obtaining ice show tickets, and other assistance. We believe these changes will address the primary desires our Diamond members have expressed. These enhancements will be instituted on all our ships that don't have a Diamond Lounge today.

These changes will be reflected on our website in the next 48 hours.

Thank you very much for being our customer and for your loyalty to Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

signature.jpg

Adam M. Goldstein

President and Chief Executive Officer

Royal Caribbean International

I appreciate Mr. Goldsteins direct response to the concerns voiced in this thread. In my opinion, this seems like a reasonable compromise -- and shows that they at least listen to their customers. As long as something like this is actually implemented into policy, I am satisfied.

Thank you very much for providing this information.It is certainly an improvement over what they originally announced and had they done this originally, they might have spared themselves considerable grief and aggravation. Clearly the criticism that they received was heard and to some degree, at least, is being dealt with. I guess it demonstrates that you can fight City Hall successfully. It will be interesting to see the response to this newest proposal. I hope that most will see that it is a fairly reasonable compromise given the situation regarding the exponential growth in diamond memberships. I also think that they will think hard and long before instituting any other significant changes in the Crown and Anchor system, including the manner in which cruise credits are earned.:)

Actually, Bill, for perhaps the first time, I am going to disagree with you.

It is like a labor negotiation. Workers ask for a 10% raise. Management counters with 2%. Workers are outraged. Demand 8%. Management counters with 6%. Final agreement: 4% - both sides feel that they gained over the other.

People (in this case, whining C & A members), need to feel that they "won something back."

If RC had offered this in the first place, there would have been just as much complaining. RC really HAD to "threaten" or announce that it was removing the whole deal, then "give in" to a 25% discount deal, to appease people.

People would have been INCENSED that their FREE booze was taken away and being replaced by a MEASLY 25% discount.

It's all about the psychology.

:)

In a nutshell- when you read the letter, It's the only thing that has changed.

If you had bothered to read the many comments about the cost of drinks on this board you will have seen many complaints this year about the 25% increase in price.

No sir, it's not the only thing that's changed. There was not a Happy Hour listed for every night of a cruise in the new change, it was listed as a one time event. Now there is one for every night or did you not read that part. Also, since how long ago are you comparing this years drink prices up 25%? I was just on the Voyager 3 weeks ago and prices were not that considerably higher than they were last year. In any case, my point regarding your comment was that you will not be satisfied until you can get all back for free or nothing at all. You should really try one of the luxury all-inclusive lines, that way you know well in advance what you're getting and paying for without the hassle of having to complain about it later.

He has GOT to be kidding! He thinks we are all stupid. First they make changes due to "crowding" in the concierge lounge - now they have "learned" from us and they are now offering wine and a %25 discount on drinks! This is absolute proof that these changes are all about $$$$!

No sir, it's not the only thing that's changed. There was not a Happy Hour listed for every night of a cruise in the new change, it was listed as a one time event. Now there is one for every night or did you not read that part. Also, since how long ago are you comparing this years drink prices up 25%? I was just on the Voyager 3 weeks ago and prices were not that considerably higher than they were last year. In any case, my point regarding your comment was that you will not be satisfied until you can get all back for free or nothing at all. You should really try one of the luxury all-inclusive lines, that way you know well in advance what you're getting and paying for without the hassle of having to complain about it later.

Good call Tex....it would be a pleasure to cruise with you and I would buy you one of those overpriced drinks anytime! :D

Good call Tex....it would be a pleasure to cruise with you and I would buy you one of those overpriced drinks anytime! :D

Ah my good man, let me be the first to charge my SetSail pass for the first round 1! Afterall, 25% off is better than nothing!:D

I agree with the $$ issue. If they will be giving Diamond members free wine....then why not free drinks as well. The 25% discount on drinks is OK, but it is still a reduction in service.

I do give them credit for hearing what people have been saying.... ;)

This is absolute proof that these changes are all about $$$$!

Was there ever any doubt about that? :eek:

It certainly wasn't about the overcrowding' date=' as there are [i']plenty[/i] of lounges on each ship that could easily handle the past passengers every night.

So, it DOES pay to be vocal about your dissatisfaction of things taken away, once promised, as opposed to being cheerleaders saying, "THAT's OK, may I have another."

Very good point, Pete!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I haven't posted on here in the past, at least not this one. I have been reading some posts at times...and many commented this si NOT about free drinks. If it was not about free drinks then why the complaints after this compromise by RCCL? As I read it, one can receive free wine and champagne and a 25% discount off drinks in an overflow lounge. So, now what is the problem? As far as overcrowding in the CL, I have only been on 1 cruise as a Diamond member and yes the CL was very overcrowded.

Hopefully, now with the change in the piggy backing of family members with cruise credits with tine it will help address some of the over crowding.

All I can say is thank you Mr. Goldstein for this fair compromise.

Archived