Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

But seriously, I am happy that so many previously disgruntled Diamonds are pleased with RCCL's reply. It just goes to show that if nobody had shown their displeasure by sending in e-mails/snail mails and phone calls, then there would not have been this turn around.

I am a D+ and rarely use the CL anyway, so I didn't have a horse in this race .........but, in my own cynical outlook, be alert for other cost-cutting measures sure to be coming down the pike soon!

I did not write that. ??? :confused:

Hey.....I look at it like this......If there weren't whiners, there would be no changes for the 'CHAMPAGNE & WINE'RS. LOL!! :p:D THANK US!!! LoL

DENISE -- 36 - Yonkers, NY

I grew up in Yonkers. Are you taking to me????!!!! :D

The objection to the steak surcharge still mystifies me. They are supplying a steak from Chops.

Because it's only a thicker steak. It's not even a better grade of steak. It's the same grade you can get for free. And they are awful.

Maybe I would pay if they were offering a prime cut of meat.

Would you "PAY UP" for a thicker piece of meat that was not the best grade cut?

Most message forums have a post count - my guess would be that it lends credibility to the site - tracking hits and activity. Especially when trying to sell ads.

Thanks...but I was actually referring to why members here put so much emphasis on other members post counts.....:)..thats the one that makes no sense.....

Your customers are you #1 means for survival - it's important to listen to them!

BTW: I don't think it was "whining" that caused AG and friends to throw up the white flag and surrender - if according to the "cheerleaders" it was not a personal decision but a business decision to revoke the benefits in the first place - I would imagine they applied the same logic this go round! I suppose the realized it was bad for business and needed to find some common ground.

But seriously, I am happy that so many previously disgruntled Diamonds are pleased with RCCL's reply. It just goes to show that if nobody had shown their displeasure by sending in e-mails/snail mails and phone calls, then there would not have been this turn around.

I am a D+ and rarely use the CL anyway, so I didn't have a horse in this race .........but, in my own cynical outlook, be alert for other cost-cutting measures sure to be coming down the pike soon!

Hmmm, you and I do share something in common.

That made me smile.:):D

In the heat of the conversation yesterday I removed my post reply to your Maui Jim conversation because it was too OT. Today I don't feel as serious. :D Anyhoo, I wish my Maui's were in the safe this past cruise. Instead, they were eaten by a big wave on Orient Beach. I was miserable. I've since replaced them and have learned my expensive lesson. :o

Did you not expect them to make money off the drinks? That's part of the business plan.

Okay, after 4000 posts, the issue at hand was the CL and the taking away of it, from the D's due to overcrowding, not money issues. Part of the CL was happy hour with *****FREE***** drinks. Now, they offer drinks at 25% off as a substitute, big deal.

In the heat of the conversation yesterday I removed my post reply to your Maui Jim conversation because it was too OT. Today I don't feel as serious. :D Anyhoo, I wish my Maui's were in the safe this past cruise. Instead, they were eaten by a big wave on Orient Beach. I was miserable. I've since replaced them and have learned my expensive lesson. :o

Don't worry about making the occasional OT response around here. We all have our monents. Sometimes one just has to sit back and chuckle. At least you lost your Maui's to a beautiful beach instead of a pit one.!:D

Small world, huh! What part of Yonkers?

I am near McLean & Central ave. How many years ago?

Denise / Yonkers

I actually worked at the corner of McLean and Central in 1983.

Lived up the hill behind Ricky Clam House, and behind Westchester Towers.

They forget me as well! I just don't get their email system. :rolleyes:

Well... I'll be a time-challenged tourist running after a cruise ship that sailed! :eek: They JUST SENT ME the email. I guess I didn't get lost in the email blurb.

Dear Richard:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your benefits. We apologize for any delay in our response. You are a valued member and we appreciate you taking the time to write us regarding your comments, suggestions and concerns. You will be happy to hear we have recently made some new adjustments. Please see the below letter to our members from Royal Caribbean International President, Adam Goldstein.

Dear Crown & Anchor Diamond and Diamond Plus Members,

I am writing to provide you with an update regarding the recent changes to our Crown & Anchor Loyalty Program.

Let me begin by thanking you for being loyal customers of Royal Caribbean International. These are remarkable times economic challenges, new modes of communication, amazing new ships and so many other changes that impact our lives at every turn. Especially in these times, we appreciate your loyalty as our Crown & Anchor Diamond and Diamond Plus members.

As you may know, we recently announced a number of changes to our Crown & Anchor Loyalty Program. Many of our Diamond Members have expressed considerable unhappiness about the change in eligibility for access to our Concierge Lounges. While we knew the reaction would be negative, it has been more negative then we anticipated. This underscores how phenomenally passionate our most loyal customers are about their Royal Caribbean experiences. We believe one of our strengths that inspires such loyalty is our ability to learn from others and especially from our Crown & Anchor customers. With this in mind, I will comment on the change in eligibility regarding our Concierge Lounges and also inform you of some new enhancements that will improve your experience onboard our ships.

Our decision to limit access to the Concierge Lounges was based on the unfortunate but inescapable fact that we cannot deliver an acceptable experience in lounges that were never designed to handle so many people. We regret that the crowding in our Concierge Lounges prevents us from delivering the experience we intended. It also prevents us from being able to grandfather in Concierge Lounge access for existing Diamond level members. We deeply regret having to restrict this access, but we are committed to delivering an exceptional Concierge Lounge experience. Having said that, we realize we should have provided more notice of our decision, which carries such consequences. To that end, we will delay the implementation date for the change in eligibility from July 1, 2009, to September 1, 2009.

Before I address the additional initiatives we will implement, I would like to summarize the physical or hardware status of our fleet as it relates to Concierge Lounges and Diamond Lounges, taking into account all 22 Royal Caribbean International ships that are now open for sale.

Five ships (our Freedom class and Oasis class) have both the Concierge Lounges and Diamond Lounges. We are excited about the Concierge Lounge overlooking the Boardwalk and the Diamond Lounge overlooking the Royal Promenade on our forthcoming Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas.

Five ships (Monarch of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas, Vision of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas and Rhapsody of the Seas) have no Concierge Lounges and two ships (Splendour of the Seas and Legend of the Seas) have limited Concierge Lounges.

Ten ships have Concierge Lounges but no Diamond Lounges (Enchantment of the Seas, as well as the ships in our Voyager class and Radiance class). While we dont currently have plans to add Diamond Lounges to these ships, we will look for opportunities to invest in Diamond Lounges as we go forward.

The strong response from our Diamond members regarding our recent changes demonstrates how much the Concierge Lounges are valued and we clearly should honor that response. The feedback we have received from Diamond members fall primarily into one of the three following categories:

Preserving the social aspect the ability to meet and mingle with other members

Maintaining free or reduced price drinks

And, access to concierge-type services for ice show tickets and other activities

In order to address the first two interests for Diamond members, outside the Concierge Lounge, effective September 1 we will offer them a dedicated VIP private party in one of our bars or lounges. This may be held in the Viking Crown Lounge, or any other bar or lounge designated by the ship. In this dedicated area, from approximately 5 to 8 p.m., we will offer complimentary wine and champagne and happy hour discount of 25 percent off all other beverages. This will be offered every day of each sailing and will replace our recently announced one-time per-cruise special Diamond party.

Additionally, we will offer a new continental breakfast from approximately 8 to 10 a.m. in one of the rooms adjacent to the main dining room onboard. During these morning hours, a crew member will be present and will provide services such as obtaining ice show tickets, and other assistance. We believe these changes will address the primary desires our Diamond members have expressed. These enhancements will be instituted on all our ships that dont have a Diamond Lounge today.

A number of Crown & Anchor members have placed the Concierge Lounge issue in the context of a perceived sequence of cutbacks that taken together have reduced the quality of the product we offer. We take these comments seriously. I am pleased to inform you that in 2009 we are seeing one of the most meaningful year-over-year improvements in our guest satisfaction ratings in memory. Apart from the obvious Independence of the Seas entering the fleet, Empress of the Seas and Sovereign of the Seas leaving the fleet and Oasis of the Seas soon to join systemic improvements such as My Time Dining, our suite enhancements, the new debarkation process, and numerous smaller initiatives are being very positively recognized by guests, travel agents and the media.

While we understand not everyone is happy about every change taking place in our fleet, we appreciate your loyalty to our company and we sincerely hope you will continue to choose Royal Caribbean International. It gives us no pleasure to hear from aggrieved Diamond and Diamond Plus customers. Our goal is to earn your advocacy and your return to our fleet by providing you with truly memorable vacations and by recognizing and rewarding your loyalty.

Our mantra at Royal Caribbean International, besides delivering the Wow, is continuous improvement. We constantly strive to find the right balance, so our product evolves in ways that our guests, especially our most loyal guests, are comfortable with. Our ratings and most communications we receive indicate that the balancing is working. However, occasionally we stumble and when we do we try to react quickly. This may be such an instance. We are committed to earning the faith you place in us. I hope the additional enhancements explained in this letter demonstrate our commitment.

Thank you very much for being our customer and for your loyalty to Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Adam M. Goldstein

President and Chief Executive Officer

Royal Caribbean International

Crown & Anchor Diamond and Diamond Plus Members, we look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Sincerely,

Cara Scott

Crown & Anchor Society

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? COMMENTS?

Call: 1-800-526-9723, 8 AM to 11 PM EST, Monday-Friday, 9 AM to 8 PM EST Saturday-Sunday

(Outside the United States or Canada: +1-316-554-5951)

Visit our Web site: http://www.royalcaribbean.com

E-mail us: crownandanchor@rccl.com

Write us: Crown & Anchor Society

P.O. Box 026053

Miami, FL 33102-6053

*** Be sure to keep your Crown & Anchor Membership Number handy and always provide it every time you book a Royal Caribbean cruise vacation to get all the benefits to which you are entitled. ***

We just re-booked our Voyager Transatlantic for this December! I have to say, the changes came just in the nick of time. We had researched many other TA's and were just about to call NCL to book with them when we read about the proposed changes posted on CC. With renewed faith in the direction that RCCL seems to be taking with its C&A members, we decided to give them another chance. So it is with positive thoughts that we are going forward into 2009, and excitement about the prospect of our 3rd TA with RCCL. Thanks for all your efforts in helping RCCL to recognize the value of repeat cruisers! PS - Great idea, I think we will order some bubbly as well for our balcony sailaway !!! :D

Yes, It is a great way to sailaway and you and you wife deserve it! Enjoy!

Colleen

Got my email first thing this morning! I think they are trying to please those of us who cruise them fairly regularly, however I think it should also be noted that we won't have an RCI if they don't make SOME changes.

I'm sorry that many of you are upset about the changes. I actually understand it as I'm one cruise away from becoming a Diamond member with RCI. However, I'd be MUCH more upset if we were forced to constantly cruise other lines because the economy put them out of business. I love Carnival and will tolerate X if they have a good itinerary, however I love RCI just as much as I love Carnival. I'd rather them stay around than me get free drinks and mingle in the CL. We can mingle over some punch by the pool if it means we get to continue enjoying a product so many of us love.

Honestly, if all you loved was the CL, then you didn't love RCI's product to begin with. You loved the free stuff. We'll get those back, I believe, when they can turn a profit for these mega liners that many of us like so much. (honestly, I'm not that big a fan of those, but whatever)

I own a business, and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. They have always provided me with a great product and I expect that will continue. It also seems like they are very much trying to please their customers as best they can, right now. So hold out, and RCI WILL bounce back. ;)

Because it's only a thicker steak. It's not even a better grade of steak. It's the same grade you can get for free. And they are awful.

Maybe I would pay if they were offering a prime cut of meat.

Would you "PAY UP" for a thicker piece of meat that was not the best grade cut?

Well, I have had the steak in Chops and it was excellent. Never had the surcharge steak. But its a matter of choice - don't have it if you don't want to pay!! I have no reason to believe that its not the Chops steak - if it wasn't, you have every reason to complain and refuse to pay and then order an alternative choice from the menu.

these rude comments are worse than any "whining" I have seen.

I sincerely apologize for those who pointed out that my remarks were rude. They were not directed at those who were legitimately upset and then were satisfied that their complaints brought about action by RCI. The "whiners" I refer to are those who are still not satisfied, will never be satisfied, and want others to remain dissatisfied--and to those who whine into the future about what may or may not happen. That's not constructive; it is WHINING. I do not apologize for that label.

Why did yours come so late. You could have read this same letter ten pages ago.
HEY, at least Richard got SOMETHING. I am Diamond and have cruised five (5) weeks on RCI since December [Mariner in December, Independence B2B in January and Vision B2B in March (plus a week on sister line Celebrity Solstice in December)] and I have 5+ weeks of outstanding reservations on RCI [serenade Panama Canal, Freedom B2B, Oasis (plus Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos)] and I have heard absolutely NOTHING from RCI about the original CL change much less this additional change. I did confirm with C&A this past week that they do have my email [plus I can see it listed on my C&A webpage account], and they have NO explaination as to why they never tell me anything. If it wasn't for CruiseCritic I'd never find out anything until way after the fact. Maybe RCI figures that if I'm willing to sail on the Vision with no Lounges at all, and book that many additional cruises then I'm a sucker who does not need to be informed. Obviously I like RCI, but they seem to go out of their way to make me feel that I have NO importance to them.

Thom

The objection to the steak surcharge still mystifies me. They are supplying a steak from Chops. There are still their regular steaks on the menu at no charge.

They do not have a steak from Chops. This is a "chop," meaning a cut of steak that is served in the MDR

Archived