Captain's Club news - new pre-paid drink packages (two threads merged)

omarchs

Some cruise lines offer this already for groups - most have a minimum number of guests required (I think RCCL's is 50 people, not sure if Celebrity does it as well) and the entire group has to opt for it currently. I think RCCL is charging now for groups somewhere between $50 - $55 per person per day for a drink package (can't recall of the top of my head but I did just price these for a group), NCL charges $46 p/p per day, Carnival was somewhere around those prices as well.

We'll see what happens when it is implemented, but perhaps these are around the prices you might see.

We just got the same newsletter this weekend and WOW!!! I can't wait to see what the prices are. It would be great for our Mercury cruise next spring. :D

Hopefully more details will be coming soon, since they mentioned it will coming online at the end of 2009... maybe more info will be out by summer...:)

Maybe some other lines will jump on board and have these offerings...

We bought a bottled water package on the Explorer in March. The bottles were 1 liter each and the larger the package purchased, the lower the per bottle cost was.

I think we bought the 16 bottle package on day 3 of a 12 day cruise. It takes 24 hours for the delivery to arrive and all bottles are cold when delivered. We were able to keep about 4 in the refrigerator, so we always had some moderately (:rolleyes:) cold bottles. You really want this on RCL, as they don't have a pitcher of water in the cabin. We only had a bucket of ice and glasses. Unfortunately, I don't remember the price. I do know it was less than buying it by the bottle and definitely, more convenient. Of course, the regular bar gratuity was tacked on to the price.

Can someone post the flyer or copy the text from it?? we are elite members and still have yet to get anything in the mail recently.

Thanks

It is the Spring 2009 CC news letter. It's not on X's web site yet. If I get a chance I'll scan it tomorrow at work and post it tomorrow evening.

Mary Lou

No coffee package? While I don't need *unlimited* coffee, a package that gave me a break on espresso beverages would be nice.

I'm bringing my own bottled water. I don't use it at home but when I travel, I often get dehydrated when I don't like the taste of the water and nothing else is available. I can buy a case for the same price as I can buy one bottle on board, so better to just bring it and have it if I need it, imo.

Just reading my Captains Club newsletter and it talks about a new program for advance online purchasing of unlimited bottled water, unlimited fountain drinks, unlimited bottled beer, unlimited foo foo drinks as well as assorted wine and mixed drink packages. All coming late 2009......wooooo hoooooo!!! :D

I read that too! Just wonder how much it'll be. If it's $40 something for unlimited fountain soda for a week, I bet it would be upwards of $300 for a week of unlimited beer or wine for a week. How much do you think it will cost? (Or how much are you willing to spend?)

Do you think that the drink pakage will be any cheaper than individual drinks? I bet the price for a 7 day cruise will be at least 4 froo froo drinks per day times 7 days time $9.00 per drink or about $250.00. Most people wont reach that unless they want to be in a drunken stupor all day. Then again maybe such is the case on a Carnival Cruise during spring break!

Do you think that the drink pakage will be any cheaper than individual drinks? I bet the price for a 7 day cruise will be at least 4 froo froo drinks per day times 7 days time $9.00 per drink or about $250.00. Most people wont reach that unless they want to be in a drunken stupor all day. Then again maybe such is the case on a Carnival Cruise during spring break!

I haven't found myself in a drunken stupor yet but I keep trying! :eek:

Have no clue what they will charge but for a package it would have to be cheaper than buying them on the ship or it wouldn't make any sense to have the package available...I guess time will tell!;)

I would be interested in the frozen drink package depending on the price point. I drink quite a few of those daily but I also enjoy drinking decent wine and champagne (I would never buy a wine/champagne package since I like to have full choice), so it would have to be reasonably priced since I will still be imbibing a la carte.

It is very easy for even moderate drinkers to have 4 drinks a day ... even if you don't start drinking til the cocktail hour!

• a midafternoon cocktail, or drink with lunch
  • drink before dinner
  • something with dinner
  • and a nightcap

Given that we're all on vacation and are more likely to have a drink or two in the afternoon, four drinks is not much at all. It's hardly going to put people into a stupor.

$250 a week would be a great deal as far as I'm concerned. NOT THAT I'M GIVING X ANY IDEAS! $140 ($20 a day) would be even better!!

As someone who actually has sailed Carnival (including during spring break) I can tell you that is not the case. While you probably wouldn't have to look too hard for some folks who like to party, the majority of us prefer to remember our cruises.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to offer a drink package; we'll just have to see how this plays out.

quote by Water Baby:

"It is very easy for even moderate drinkers to have 4 drinks a day ... even if you don't start drinking til the cocktail hour!"

• a midafternoon cocktail, or drink with lunch
  • drink before dinner
  • something with dinner
  • and a nightcap

Janine, a mid afternoon cocktail? How about 2 by the pool?

Both Mudslides:D

Being on cruise is the only time I drink every day:eek:

Oh, I got my CC newlsetter today too.

They also put the "Simplified Gratuity Policy" in there as well.

Janine, a mid afternoon cocktail? How about 2 by the pool?

Both Mudslides:D

Being on cruise is the only time I drink every day:eek:

Oh, I got my CC newlsetter today too.

They also put the "Simplified Gratuity Policy" in there as well.

Oh Lois ... we need to go on another cruise together --- and connect earlier to enjoy several cocktails!!! :D:D

Someone posed this question awhile back, but it was never answered...are these drink packages solely a Captain's Club perk or will they be available to first time cruisers as well?

I've booked my wife and I on the 1/17/10 Constellation Panama Canal transit and a bottled water package would be perfect, although we are first time cruisers, so if they limit it to Captain's Club members we will be SOL, as they say.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

Someone posed this question awhile back, but it was never answered...are these drink packages solely a Captain's Club perk or will they be available to first time cruisers as well?

I've booked my wife and I on the 1/17/10 Constellation Panama Canal transit and a bottled water package would be perfect, although we are first time cruisers, so if they limit it to Captain's Club members we will be SOL, as they say.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

It will be for anyone that books with Celebrity, not just CC members It is supposed to come out at the end of this year. You will be able to go on X's website and purchase these packages under "Before You Cruise"

Oh Lois ... we need to go on another cruise together --- and connect earlier to enjoy several cocktails!!! :D:D

Janine, I am game:):D:)...when do you want to go?

Sometime in 2010?....that is always a possibility...after all,

its already May 2009;)

Seriously....

Archived