RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

We were 2 couples traveling together on a Baltic cruise originating in Rome. Before sailing I bought our entrance tickets online at http://www.biglietteriamusei.vatican.va. We used a private car with Rome in Limo for our visit to the Vatican. They picked us up at the hotel and the Private Guide accompanied us to the Vatican noting points of interest along the way. Once at the Vatican, the Guide took us past the long lines and directly inside. Be aware that it is impossible to see everything in one day, so our Guide, who was a graduate student was able to direct us through the Vatican buildings stopping at highlights along the way. We could bypass the massive 40 person groups and linger at the spots where we wanted more time. It was perfect for a one day visit. We used Rome in Limo not only for the sites around Rome but also when we were docked on the Amalfi Coast. Nothing but the highest praise for RIL.

Hi,

I have read over the posts from those who have booked tours with RIL in Italy. We will be there in July and I was wondering

1. Did you have a guide in the Vatican? Do you recommend

hiring a guide? If so, why? If not, why? If you did use a guide, how many hours did you contract for?

2. Has anyone joined a sharing tour with a group from another ship in port? Would you recommend doing this? I looked at the RIL site and there is a group seeking more people to join them for their Florence/Pisa tour? Or would it be better to start another group and see if anyone from our ship joins us?

We will be in Italy in July.

Any other suggestions/recommendations anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

A Vatican guide is a must, as this will allow you to really dig into areas of the vast collection that are of interest and scoot past other areas. The temptation in such an enormous treasure trove is to try and see everything...which simply won't work. So hire a guide and make the most of it. At the end of the day the value will become incredibly apparent.

As for joining up for shared tours from another ship? I wouldn't recommend it. Things could change without warning. When the group is entirely aboard your ship it's easy to leave a voice mail or note in somebody's door if needed.

On a personal note, I have arranged as many as 70 passengers for a variety of RomeinLimo adventures in a single port of call and RiL has always been utterly flawless. I'm in the cold-rolled steel business, not the travel biz...in case you were wondering.

Be sure to stay active (but not in a perpetual "sales" type of way) on your Roll Call. Let people know your plans and the rates. I always insist on having people's contact info so that we can communicate with more discretion than occurs here.

There are always far more people reading your Roll Call than participating. Providing your contact info allows them to reach you without surfacing here.

At least 3/4 of all the people I have had in RiL groups since 2010 have never said a word on our Roll Calls.

Have a wonderful time with RomeinLimo; they are an exceptional organization.

Alan

I'm using RIL for our 3 Italy tours on our Med cruise next month and just about can't wait! They've been great to work with and very responsive.

My question is a logistical/security one. We are doing all private tours and have filled them with folks from our roll call. I'm the contact person and we are paying cash at the end of the tour vs credit card ahead of time. I'm concerned with all the talk about pickpockets, especially in Rome, about having that much money on me.

How did you all handle this?

Also, can you leave things in the vehicle during the day? Thinking of things like sweaters, umbrellas, extra water.

We carried our cash euros in a neck wallet. We purchased the wallet from the Rick Steves' website. We were able to leave things like sweaters, umbrellas etc in the van with the driver.

Have fun!

I'm using RIL for our 3 Italy tours on our Med cruise next month and just about can't wait! They've been great to work with and very responsive.

My question is a logistical/security one. We are doing all private tours and have filled them with folks from our roll call. I'm the contact person and we are paying cash at the end of the tour vs credit card ahead of time. I'm concerned with all the talk about pickpockets, especially in Rome, about having that much money on me.

Also, can you leave things in the vehicle during the day? Thinking of things like sweaters, umbrellas, extra water.

We have a "hidden pocket" wallet for cash we got from Amazon. Leaving items in the cars/vans with RIL is fine and safe, they don't leave the vehicles unattended. Have a wonderful time, we will be there in a little over two weeks and RIL is taking care of us again for several tours/transfers! :)

I have the same concerns but we were told that we could not pay with a credit card at all, only cash at the end of the tour. Could you clarify your credit card option? Is this a shared tour?

There is a group on our roll call that prepaid their tours back in December and got a discount. Something special he negotiated I think. I didn't go to the trouble of trying to do that.

Thanks for the replies about the money and the belongings. I have a travelon bag with lots of security features so may use one of those hidden pockets.

Does the neck wallet get annoying? Do you wear it under your shirt?

you are wise to be concerned about pickpockets. Gypsies attacked us at the Colleseum in 1995 trying to get my husbands camera. But fortunately, RIL is a great company.

It seems that most private tours require cash. I remember paying RIL in bills cuz we all decided on a tip amount before paying.

I paid all 3 of my RIL tours in full for August by sending them a check to their Miami bank. Got a discount and confirmation from Jany that we were fully prepaid. Now I don't have to worry about carrying tons of cash - only tips, guide fees and spending $.

I paid all 3 of my RIL tours in full for August by sending them a check to their Miami bank. Got a discount and confirmation from Jany that we were fully prepaid. Now I don't have to worry about carrying tons of cash - only tips, guide fees and spending $.

Thanks for the info. I made a res. thru their web site and got a confirmation a couple of weeks ago. I'll go back and get the Miami contact and seal the deal with them. Maybe I'll get a discount too...

War Eagle!

Could you share how to send the payment to Miami?? You can email me at sreyes84 at aol dot com. If that is a better option.

I just saw all your questions about RIL. I've used them several times and whenever had questions I would contact Jany at RIL and get all my needed info right away. And I knew it was correct. Quickest and best way to find out. And no, I don't work for them. You'll have a great time with them.

I just saw all your questions about RIL. I've used them several times and whenever had questions I would contact Jany at RIL and get all my needed info right away. And I knew it was correct. Quickest and best way to find out. And no, I don't work for them. You'll have a great time with them.

I agree, contacting the tour company makes a lot more sense :rolleyes:

My family toured with RIL for a couple of ports in Italy in 2011.

The highlight of our entire cruise was the day we spent touring from Naples to Pompeii, Sorrento, and Positano.

Rome In Limo set up our private tour guide in Pompeii ahead of time, and he was waiting for us as we arrived at the entrance area. We had free time to wander and shop in Sorrento, with suggestions of places to have lunch. We also had free time to explore Positano so we walked down through the town to the beach.

The drive along the Amalfi coast was breath-taking, and our driver stopped a couple of times for us to take photos.

It was a very full day, and RIL handled all the details seamlessly. We couldn't have wished for a more perfect day enjoying such an incredibly beautiful area of Italy.

Because RIL helped us have such an awesome day, I will be doing the same excursion through their tour-sharing program again this July when a friend and I sail on the Royal Princess.

We have used Rome in a Limo for our port visit in Naples on April 14th. The tour was organized by one of our group. We were greeted by our driver and guide promptly with a van for the 8 of us. Tour was excellent, visited Herculaneum where a pre-arranged guide gave us an excellent tour of the site.

After this we had a wonderful visit to the Amalfi coast, where we made stops in Amalfi and Positano. In all a great tour, we had the liberty to compose our day and were brought back to the ship well in time for departure.

I would recommend this tour any time!

We have used RIL 3 times & have no problems using them again if we came back into Italy, they are great to work with Jany gets everything done & contacts you--very CALM tours because they cover EVERTHING.

For sure no wallets in back pockets, & I have several small bags that I have made--but similar can be bought--about 7x10 with straps to put across your body & I wear it under a jacket--the jacket according to the weather, have had no problems at all & I just wish all tours were as relaxing as RIL are. (if straps are too long--knot them at shoulder.)

I am sure you will have a great tour with RIL. Just a note--I have found out that if your group meets on your ship & go off together that it speeds everything up & you are out & gone long before others

We have used RIL several times in the past out for Rome, Naples and Florence. A few years ago, our family had a unique, unforgettable experience on a Orvieto/Civita Bagnoregio tour where our driver, Salvatore, took us to a sheep farm where we toured the farm and farmhouse, learned how cheese was made, and had an incredible lunch prepared by the farm owner himself. Our family still talks about how this tour was one of the greatest experiences we have ever shared together. We are returning to Rome this summer, and are scheduling more great tours through Jany. Has anyone else had an unforgettable experience with RIL that we should inquire about for our trip?

I'm on the 8/26 sailing of Carnival Vista and my dates are booked too. :(

There is a shared tour for Rome I just started for the august 26th sailing of you go to the RIL shared tour page you will find it !!

We have used RIL several times in the past out for Rome, Naples and Florence. A few years ago, our family had a unique, unforgettable experience on a Orvieto/Civita Bagnoregio tour where our driver, Salvatore, took us to a sheep farm where we toured the farm and farmhouse, learned how cheese was made, and had an incredible lunch prepared by the farm owner himself. Our family still talks about how this tour was one of the greatest experiences we have ever shared together. We are returning to Rome this summer, and are scheduling more great tours through Jany. Has anyone else had an unforgettable experience with RIL that we should inquire about for our trip?

As we have used them 8 times, we have had many great experiences. I would recommend a Florence/Siena/Chianti tour (perhaps with Francesco), which includes a tasting and food pairing. Great trip, although if you are traveling with kids, not sure that would work well.

If you look back through this thread (yes, it is long), you will see MANY people have related their wonderful experiences.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We just returned from the Reflection TA and thanks to RIL our time in Florence and Rome was excellent again. In Florence we had two vans with 12 people from the CC roll call and the drivers, Sabrina & Simona, were wonderful. Even though the weather wasn't the best we still managed to see so much in Florence and in San Gimagnano. They took us to a wonderful restaurant in Florence for lunch and then we spent a rainy afternoon in San Gimagnano before returning to the ship through the Tuscan countryside. The drivers are excellent, we encountered muddy roads, driving rain AND hail!!

In Rome we were transported to our hotel by Francesco, who was waiting for us when we debarked and was great fun on our trip into Rome.

The best part of the trip was our day of touring Rome with Enrico. It was our last day in Rome and he took us everywhere we asked to go and then some. He had so much knowledge of the city and made us feel so comfortable. The trattoria he took us to was the best meal we had in Rome!

Our transport to the airport was capped off by a bottle of Chianti provided to us by RIL as a "thank you" and we were so glad it survived the long plane ride home to the USA!!

What a wonderful company to work with, I've posted the same here before but our visit this year just confirmed it all. Thanks again for helping make this visit to Rome even better!!

We used RIL last month - it made the third of fourth time we have had a tour with them. Enrico was our guide this time and he was wonderful. He really knows Rome and made suggestions on the best way to spend our day. I will use them next time I am in Italy.