RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

I looked up this sailing, it appears the Epic has multiple sailings listed separately every couple days all showing as a Round Trip. So one of the other ports of embarkation may have the main Roll Call for your boarding. I hope this makes sense. Epic sails each port as a 7 day RT, so new people are boarding for 7 days at each port. Very weird but that's what the Epic sailing calendar for Aug 2016 are showing and that explains why you have no one on your Roll Call

Sailawayjack, question for you. We have also booked our shuttle through this company and were wondering about tipping for this servce. What is the standard tip amount for this service. First time in Rome for us and do you know of a local restaurant with good food. We will be staying at the Albergo Cesari for 3 days. Thank you.

Mike

:cool:You will love Rome. For an ideal trip you need 3 days. One for Vatican, one for Forum Area, and one for Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. I have been fortunate enough to have gone there four times. The best trip was a freeby sponsored by the Philadelphia Inquirer. The publisher himself went with us. The food highlight of this trip was a little-hole-in-the-wall restaurant near the Forum Area. Dagiggetto Specialita Romane. They had fantastic food.

As far as tips go--In Italy 10-12% is considered fine. Six of us went from Rome to Port for 170 euro. I rounded it off at 200. But it is up to you.

Have a great trip.

Sailaway Jack

I started 3 shared tours on the Rome in Limo website for the 3 different stops on my Epic cruise this coming summer. I am a solo traveler so it's currently just me on each tour. What are the chances these tours will fill up with some other folks? Do they usually fill up closer to the cruise date? Has anyone had to cancel because nobody was interested in joining?

I started a tour for Sorrento before one of my cruises and only found 2 others so there were 4 total. By time we reached the port I had 14 people (2 vans of 7). How far in advance do you need to cancel? If just a day or so and you have several days onboard before the port then I would say keep your options open until the last minute to cancel. It is a big ship so talk it up with your meal partners or anyone else you chat with and if they aren't interested they may be traveling with others who are. How many people are on your Roll Call? Lots of times folks jump into the group at the last minute and are looking for tours.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I have to cancel one week prior to the tour, so I have some time, since they aren't until late August. Maybe more folks will join the roll call closer to sail time. (btw I looked at the other embarkation points as well, with no rolls calls then either)

Hi,

I have read over the posts from those who have booked tours with RIL in Italy. We will be there in July and I was wondering

1. Did you have a guide in the Vatican? Do you recommend

hiring a guide? If so, why? If not, why? If you did use a guide, how many hours did you contract for?

2. Has anyone joined a sharing tour with a group from another ship in port? Would you recommend doing this? I looked at the RIL site and there is a group seeking more people to join them for their Florence/Pisa tour? Or would it be better to start another group and see if anyone from our ship joins us?

We will be in Italy in July.

Any other suggestions/recommendations anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Let RIL arrange everything in regards to the Vatican guide. That way when you get there you will be ready to enter immediately and your guide will be waiting for you. RIL makes all these arrangements trust them!

Agree. I would join the already existing group in Florence, as, at this point, their bookings have been filling up. There are another thread or two commenting that Rome in Limo is getting booked up for the summer.

2. Has anyone joined a sharing tour with a group from another ship in port? Would you recommend doing this? I looked at the RIL site and there is a group seeking more people to join them for their Florence/Pisa tour? Or would it be better to start another group and see if anyone from our ship joins us?

We will be in Italy in July.

Any other suggestions/recommendations anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you are looking to join a group from another ship in the port of Livorno that may be very difficult. I have never been there before but from what I have read the ships can be very spread out and you are not allowed to walk around the port as it is an active industrial port.

RIL arranged for us to have a guide in the Vatican. WELL WORTH IT. we were only there for 5 hours or so, and the guide was so tremendous and helpful and A+++. I think you should do a guide for the Vatican.

As for joining another ship's group--- might be a great idea, not sure. :)

If you are looking to join a group from another ship in the port of Livorno that may be very difficult. I have never been there before but from what I have read the ships can be very spread out and you are not allowed to walk around the port as it is an active industrial port.

I wouldn't worry about this. Rome in Limo will make it work. They aren't amateurs.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I have to cancel one week prior to the tour, so I have some time, since they aren't until late August. Maybe more folks will join the roll call closer to sail time. (btw I looked at the other embarkation points as well, with no rolls calls then either)

You have plenty of time to fill your group, normally folks will join the roll call closer to sail time, onto worry and have fun planing :)

RIL is suggesting using their Vatican guide. I was looking at the tour of the Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel provided by the Vatican itself. Any thoughts on which would be better? Vatican tour is E32 per person vs E20 for skip the line tickets and E150 for the RIL tour

You know the Vatican Tour with guide will be a group of 12-15? The Rome in Limo guide will just be with you?

Given the crowds, a guide just for the two of you will be great! Been there, enjoyed that!

Edited by CruiserBruce

You know the Vatican Tour with guide will be a group of 12-15? The Rome in Limo guide will just be with you?

Given the crowds, a guide just for the two of you will be great! Been there, enjoyed that!

If you engage the RIL Vatican guide does the cost include the admission to the Vatican Museums? It does not seem clear on my booking if I have to buy admission tickets even if I hire the RIL Vatican guide. Thanks.

If you engage the RIL Vatican guide does the cost include the admission to the Vatican Museums? It does not seem clear on my booking if I have to buy admission tickets even if I hire the RIL Vatican guide. Thanks.

No it does not. Jany will tell you what entrance time to purchase your Vatican ticket for. Your Guide will be waiting for you as soon as your driver drops you off.

The guides do not work for RIL! They just know who the good ones are. Remember a poor guide reflects poorly on RIL and they are very careful with their reputation. If you are using RIL you need to let them handle the guide details so that your time in Rome is organized properly.

Edited by JVilleGal

Use the RIL guide. The cost will be equal or lower than booking one yourself on site and they will have arranged a vetted one. Our guide spoke 6 different languages (including german, which was awesome because we had a german couple in group - still not sure if that was luck or planned) and had a masters degree in Art focusing on the art of italy in the 15th and 16th centuries.

She also took care of turning our vouchers into tickets and got us to bypass the line. Saved about 45 mins just there.

No it does not. Jany will tell you what entrance time to purchase your Vatican ticket for. Your Guide will be waiting for you as soon as your driver drops you off.

The guides do not work for RIL! They just know who the good ones are. Remember a poor guide reflects poorly on RIL and they are very careful with their reputation. If you are using RIL you need to let them handle the guide details so that your time in Rome is organized properly.

Best decision we had was booking a private guide for our family of 4 for the Vatican. Worth every cent and then some.

Let RIL arrange everything in regards to the Vatican guide. That way when you get there you will be ready to enter immediately and your guide will be waiting for you. RIL makes all these arrangements trust them!

YES!! Let Jany get it all taken care of--we have used them 3 times for 3 cruises in Italy--I never have any doubts to use RIL..they are great. Have never had any issues with them--they are the BEST!! They will get your input as to different places to see & just really work with you.:D:D:D

YES!! Let Jany get it all taken care of--we have used them 3 times for 3 cruises in Italy--I never have any doubts to use RIL..they are great. Have never had any issues with them--they are the BEST!! They will get your input as to different places to see & just really work with you.:D:D:D

Yes they will!! We can't wait for our next visit there in just a few weeks.... have several tours planned with RIL in Florence and Rome!!! On our way on the Reflection TA in 6 days!! Woo hoo!!!:)