Some Concepts Royal Caribbean are Experimenting With

As several of you have posted "I hope RCCL reads these posts", yes I do too!!

There are children who DO know how to behave in "upscale" restaurants..no, I don't THINK she does, I KNOW she does....as a matter of fact there have been times she has behaved better than some patrons...can you say "too much libation", "no manners", "a big mouth"...because someone is an adult (by age), and is able to disburse funds for said "upscale eatery" makes them able to behave in any type of restaurant....I think not.

We usually travel with 6-8 friends and end up in the specialty restaurants about half the time. We enjoy the ambiance, the food and the service, and just feeling "special", and don't mind paying for it. There's a time and a place for kids (we have 2 that are now almost grown), and the specialty restaurants aren't either! If RCI feels like they need kids in the specialty restaurants, they don't need us in there. We'll be on FOS this September and will wait until we can eyeball the situation before booking. :mad:

As the parent of a 4 and 6 year old I can say that not I do not want my own kids there or anyone else's. Mine are very well behaved as well but we can have a nice dinner together in the MDR the specialties are for my dh and me. One of the reasons we cruise is for the childcare options so that we can spend time away from kids.

Monica

The problem is not with the well behaved children. The problem is that if children are allowed into the specialty restaurants, that will mean all children will be allowed in. There are bound to be a few criers, shouters, or screamers.

Btw...I've seen quite a few of them in the main dining room, who were over 200 lbs and 6 ft tall as well. ;)

and not trying to start a war. We have 2 small children, and I will tell you that they are generally well-behaved, but not always, as they have their moments. I completely understand that people want time away from thier kids (as we do sometimes), and understand that people enjoy kid-limited or kid-free vacations, but I do have to add one thing, and I'm not pointing any fingers here, but the people who don't want children at all on THEIR cruise, keep one thing in mind...Royal Caribbean is a cruise line for the masses and TARGETS families with children. Of course everyone has the right to enjoy their cruise the way they like, but the ones who complain about the "evil youngsters" maybe should avoid a cruise line that actively targets and markets to families......Again, not accusing or pointing fingers, just making a statement.

When my husband and I dine out we never check to see if there are children in the dinning room. We live in a very touristy town in Fl. and people bring their children to dinner. I can't remember a time this has been a problem for us. More families are cruising and I think the changes will happen and probably should. Before you get in a panic think about the last time you went out to a nice restaurant, were children there? I am sure once in a while a family could be a little bothersome but I have seen more than once, a table of adults, both at Portofino's and Chops make fools of themselves with loud and drunk behavior. I myself wished they had been asked to leave and replaced by a nice family.

and not trying to start a war. We have 2 small children, and I will tell you that they are generally well-behaved, but not always, as they have their moments. I completely understand that people want time away from thier kids (as we do sometimes), and understand that people enjoy kid-limited or kid-free vacations, but I do have to add one thing, and I'm not pointing any fingers here, but the people who don't want children at all on THEIR cruise, keep one thing in mind...Royal Caribbean is a cruise line for the masses and TARGETS families with children. Of course everyone has the right to enjoy their cruise the way they like, but the ones who complain about the "evil youngsters" maybe should avoid a cruise line that actively targets and markets to families......Again, not accusing or pointing fingers, just making a statement.

That is so true. There are so many places onboard for children to eat, and so many pools for them to use, and I'm glad of that because I have brought my own grandchildren on a few cruises, but I am grateful that RCCL has also given us older people 2 places onboard that we too can enjoy ourselves and be calm. One is the specialty restaurant and the other place is the solarium pool.

I don't honestly think anyone would begrudge us oldsters 2 places to relax.

The upscale ships are unaffordable for many of us older folks. :o

When my husband and I dine out we never check to see if there are children in the dinning room. We live in a very touristy town in Fl. and people bring their children to dinner. I can't remember a time this has been a problem for us. More families are cruising and I think the changes will happen and probably should. Before you get in a panic think about the last time you went out to a nice restaurant, were children there? I am sure once in a while a family could be a little bothersome but I have seen more than once, a table of adults, both at Portofino's and Chops make fools of themselves with loud and drunk behavior. I myself wished they had been asked to leave and replaced by a nice family.

Good point. Many children are more well behaved than adults! :)

Well behaved children or not is not the point. The point is some of us want a dining experience without children. That doesn't make us mean, or selfish, it must makes us want a nice, quiet dining room. Why exactly do children need to be in the specialty restaurants? There needs to be one or two places that adults can be without children. I'd say those parents who drag their children into these "experiences" are the selfish ones because they're thinking about what they want, not what the kids want or even are capable of dealing with. I have never seen a loud or misbehaving adult in a specialty restaurant, so unless you can provide proof otherwise, what exactly is your point?

And, don't drag out the behavior you "think" some adults exhibit. That is not what this thread is about. Drop the feigned anger/defensiveness. And, when my kid were young, I wouldn't do that to them.

I love the defensive parents. We're not asking for an entire cruise ship devoid of children, just a nice dining experience that has been so. Fact is, I dont' want to pay extra to dine with children wandering around the restaurant. I have been in specialty restaurants on cruises with small children and what happens is parents end up walking their kids around to keep them occupied. How exactly is this a fine dining experience for ANYONE? Those that are upset, do you take your kids to $50/person restaurants on a regular basis or is this just you making a point?

I also know that Disney, of all places, has adults only dining. What do you think of that?

... but the people who don't want children at all on THEIR cruise, keep one thing in mind...Royal Caribbean is a cruise line for the masses and TARGETS families with children. Of course everyone has the right to enjoy their cruise the way they like, but the ones who complain about the "evil youngsters" maybe should avoid a cruise line that actively targets and markets to families......Again, not accusing or pointing fingers, just making a statement.

I haven't read any posts by people who "don't want children at all on THEIR cruise." What I HAVE read is that a lot of people would like to know that there is maybe ONE restaurant that is adults only. I think a cruiseline can successfully target "families" while still keeping one restaurant and one pool open to adults only. In the grand scheme of things, it's a very small compromise, and there are still plenty of dining options open to families/children.

I haven't read any posts by people who "don't want children at all on THEIR cruise." What I HAVE read is that a lot of people would like to know that there is maybe ONE restaurant that is adults only. I think a cruiseline can successfully target "families" while still keeping one restaurant and one pool open to adults only. In the grand scheme of things, it's a very small compromise, and there are still plenty of dining options open to families/children.

That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Well, that is interesting.

The only thing that gave me pause is lifting the age restriction in the specialty restaurants ... I think that would challenge the ambiance of the dining experience. I can't see keeping the elegant top notch service with kids in the dining area. And I am not kid unfriendly, quite the contrary - I just don't see that working in that venue.

There are many kids under 13 who understand the need to behave and can easily sit thru a dinner without disturbing other guests.

Instead of a specific age all should be welcomed, with the understanding misbehaving kids will be sent packing from the SR. We have had positive comments from other guests on how well DD has behaved in MDR and even in SR. It would be nice to not have to dine before 7 just because DD is under 13. That said, don't expect us to dine much past 730pm but to have that option would be nice.

You know, we have friends who ask us if RCL is over-run with kids and we usually talk about adult havens like the specialty rooms. If RCL wants kids in their specialty rooms, then they don't want me there. Too many parents think their kids are well behaved when in fact, they are not. Sure, they're doing well for kids but they're still kids and part of the appeal of Chops is that it isn't full of them. I imagine some parents will be bringing video games for their kiddies to play to keep them happy. Ugh!

Lee, we agree 100%.

If RCL takes away the "adult only" venues they WILL lose a lot of loyal passengers :mad:

###

OK, usually you all can tell that I am pro-kid friendly activities. THIS is not one of them. :eek:

Heck, even on Disney there is an Adult only dining venue (Palo) and we all know how "family friendly" Disney is.

I am looking at this as a way for RCCL to increase their revenue. They'll charge the same for the 2 year old as they do for the 82 year old. So the revenue will be doubled {or so they think}. They can give the old "We are trying to be family friendly" speech but they are just trying to make money - plain and simple.

BAD, BAD, BAD idea

One more vote for "no kids in the fancy dining establishments".

No, I don't hate kids. But, everyone needs to be able to get away.

There IS a family friendly venue for formal dining, the MDR.

When we were on our first cruise, with 4 teens in tow, we were seated at a table for 8 with two schoolteachers on their vacation!!!

Our kids were very well behaved, but guess what - talked about topics of great interest to *teenagers*. These young women wanted a break from being around kids - and who could blame them?

the next night, no surprise that they were seated at another table. in fact, the surprise was that they came by our table and apologized for asking to be moved! they said there was nothing wrong with our kids, they just needed some time around adults. As many of you know from personal experience, we certainly understood :D

And that's the point. There are all kinds of families, and I don't think royal is only catering to families with young children. There need to continue to be venues for everyone, including venues where adults can get a break from children, well-behaved or no. Just as there are teen-only areas, where teens can get a break from adults & small children.

I've been talking with my friends about reserving tables at the specialty restaurants on Oasis...... but perhaps better that we stick with MDR, and use our restaurant dollars ashore.

--Mary

I like the idea of no life vests at muster drill and electronic checking, I presume by your sea pass card.

I like the idea of an easier way of booking air with RCI.

However, I do not like the idea of opening the SR's to all. I don't hate kids, but I don't want them running around me in the ambiance of Chops or Portofino. Just my personal preference.

I like the muster drill ideas. Electronic checking would be easy on everyone.

For the specialty restaurants, since they allow younger children to dine earlier, why change

things? Personally, if we had cruised when our kids were little, we wouldn't have gone to a specialty restaurant with them. Every child can "lose it" occasionally, even the most well behaved ones! I say keep the option to bring the younger ones earlier and keep the later times for quiet adult dining.

I imagine the next thing will be that folks who want kids in the SR will be lobbying RCL to lower the cover for kids because it's not fair to charge themt he same.

I find this absurdly frustrating. As someone else pointed out, even Disney, the ultimate in family-friendly fare, has a space on its ships for adults to dine without kids.

We will not be booking the specialty restaurants if they allow all ages. Its bad enough in the main dining room with nearby tables containing small children acting badly and being ignored by their parents.

Two weeks ago on a cruise we sat next to a family where the little child (probably around 2ish) was just screaming for an hour and the parents just sat there and completely ignored the child disturbing everyone around them.:eek:

I am sure it's all about the increased revenue for them.

Archived