Flight-NJ and Anthem-Made a huge mistake

suamom

I booked an 820 flight out of Newark on a Sunday after our Anthem cruise. I had the dates incorrect. Thought the ship returned on Saturday. Is there any possible way of making this? We have never sailed out of NJ before...Please tell me there is a way to make it happen...

I booked an 820 flight out of Newark on a Sunday after our Anthem cruise. I had the dates incorrect. Thought the ship returned on Saturday. Is there any possible way of making this? We have never sailed out of NJ before...Please tell me there is a way to make it happen...

The earliest you can possibly self-debark is around 7:30 am. You'll got through customs quickly. Newark Airport is about a twenty minute drive.

You might make it but, you will do so by the skin of your teeth.

I would pay the extra and re-schedule your flight. It's not worth stressing about and ruining your cruise.

Jonathan

Ship comes in at 6:30 a.m., correct? I think most, if not all, will say rebook flight. If it was booked less than 24 hours ago you can rebook for free. Otherwise, if you are first off and the ship cleared by 6:30, then maybe...but don't listen to me, ask the cruiseline. If the 7:30 number is true, your luggage will not make cargo.

Edited by RoyalC

Get the most out of your change fee and spend a few more days in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since your cruise isn't until March why don't you first call your airlines and explain your situation and see how much it would cost with rebooking fee to change your flight to a later time or day. See...to me if you keep that 820AM flight and for some reason that ship arrives late or you are held up in customs, or there's an accident and traffic is back up to the airport and you miss that flight then what is your plan B? What if you get to the airport and the check-in clerk tells you sorry you miss your original flight and the next flight is going to cost you an extra $1000...each!! Better have lot of available credit handy on your Visa card. People might tell you can make it; but no can guarantee you anything. I have travel too much to always factor in plenty time for a stress free trip. Just my two cent.

Just my opinion....NO WAY. Even I am not that brave. One more obstacle to add to the list: Bayonne has many construction sites near the port and there are many detours. How are you getting to EWR? Pray that the driver is not stuck in traffic with the "incoming" pax trying to get into the port

When on vacation, things happen. Sometimes those things just cost money. Your case it was a mistake. Sometimes it is other random mistakes. But in the end, it cost money. In the back of my brain, I always have the "emergency fund" as part of the cost. As long as I don't go over it, I'm good and accept it because I already budgeted for mistakes, cost overruns, and extra gifts.

As others have said, I would rebook the flight. While Cape Liberty is very efficient and easy to get off the ship, you would still be relying on a timely arrival and disembarkation then to connect with transportation to the airport. Then you have security, etc., at the airport. I think 8:20 is way too early to risk not making the flight and potentially incurring even more expense then the flight change would be.

I fly out of EWR often. Sometimes I just breeze through security, but there have been times when it's taken nearly an hour to get through. If you are flying out of Terminal C, it's a very long walk to many of the gates (always seems to be mine). No way would I consider attempting that flight.

I am usually very optimistic about making flights but my opinion is if you keep this flight you should plan on missing it. i also suspect it is going to make your last evening aboard the ship very stressful and impossible to enjoy.

Edited by Ocean Boy

See...to me if you keep that 820AM flight and for some reason that ship arrives late or you are held up in customs, or there's an accident and traffic is back up to the airport and you miss that flight then what is your plan B? What if you get to the airport and the check-in clerk tells you sorry you miss your original flight and the next flight is going to cost you an extra $1000...each!!

FWIW, in 7 years of work travel (and he traveled half the year), DH missed a couple flights, and each time they just got him on the next one. No fees or extra charges.

Even the international one that he missed by 24 hours because of time changes, leaving in the middle of the night, and a travel agent who was really very bad at her job (and the two of us who blindly trusted her). The agents had seen it all before and just rerouted him at no extra cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, in 7 years of work travel (and he traveled half the year), DH missed a couple flights, and each time they just got him on the next one. No fees or extra charges.

Even the international one that he missed by 24 hours because of time changes, leaving in the middle of the night, and a travel agent who was really very bad at her job (and the two of us who blindly trusted her). The agents had seen it all before and just rerouted him at no extra cost.

Newark is our airport, I can't remember the last time we flew where there wasn't a standby list.

If your DH traveled half the year, he must have had a high airline loyalty status, which could afford him that kind of privilege.

I used to travel a lot for work as well, and have seen instances of people missing their flights. There were times when the agent would just put them on the next flight, and there were times when the pax needed to pay full price for another ticket. I would not assume that the OP would be just put on the next flight at no charge, esp if they have no status with the airline.

If the ship really had been arriving on Saturday then I assume you would have been paying for a hotel overnight?

So use the "hotel" money and re-book the flight. That seems to be the most stress-free thing to do.

Unless OP was "pennywise and pound foolish" and booked a prepaid/no cancel rate just to "save" a few bucks.

Here's another option for you to consider: Depending on how much the change fee is, it might be the same price (or close to the same) to just keep your 8:20am flight and book a second flight at the time you actually want. Then, hope that the airline makes a time change to your 8:20am reservation that is more than a 2 hour difference. Anytime an airline does that, they give you the option to cancel the flight and get your money back. It's a little close to your flight to think they would do this, but if it will cost you the same $$ to pay the change fee as it would to buy a new ticket then it's worth a try, because it's the only way you'll get your $$ back.

I have had this happen twice, both worked out in my favor. The first time I, like you, wanted to change my return flight, but at a cost of $800, decided to leave it as is. Luckily I got an email that said they changed the time of my flight and I was allowed to choose a new flight time (and day) for no cost. The second time I decided to cancel a trip, but could not get my money back for the ticket. Rather than tell the airline I wasn't showing up (because I would only get $25 back and they were going to resell my seat and make double profit), I just left the ticket and planned to be a "no show." Before the flight day, I got an email about a time change, so they let me cancel the flight and get my money back.

Normally the time changes to flights happen to people who book their flights way ahead of time, because in the months prior to the trip the airline makes changes, so I wouldn't plan on that happening with your flight being so close, but it's always a possibility and worth the risk of losing your money if it was going to cost you the same to pay the change fee anyway.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Here's another option for you to consider: Depending on how much the change fee is, it might be the same price (or close to the same) to just keep your 8:20am flight and book a second flight at the time you actually want. Then, hope that the airline makes a time change to your 8:20am reservation that is more than a 2 hour difference. Anytime an airline does that, they give you the option to cancel the flight and get your money back. It's a little close to your flight to think they would do this, but if it will cost you the same $$ to pay the change fee as it would to buy a new ticket then it's worth a try, because it's the only way you'll get your $$ back.

I have had this happen twice, both worked out in my favor. The first time I, like you, wanted to change my return flight, but at a cost of $800, decided to leave it as is. Luckily I got an email that said they changed the time of my flight and I was allowed to choose a new flight time (and day) for no cost. The second time I decided to cancel a trip, but could not get my money back for the ticket. Rather than tell the airline I wasn't showing up (because I would only get $25 back and they were going to resell my seat and make double profit), I just left the ticket and planned to be a "no show." Before the flight day, I got an email about a time change, so they let me cancel the flight and get my money back.

Normally the time changes to flights happen to people who book their flights way ahead of time, because in the months prior to the trip the airline makes changes, so I wouldn't plan on that happening with your flight being so close, but it's always a possibility and worth the risk of losing your money if it was going to cost you the same to pay the change fee anyway.

I was able to make a change recently with only a half hour change in schedule because it was earlier and I told them we were arriving that morning via a cruise. I've used changed other excuses for layover through Chi was now too short or layover much longer than the original to get flights changed for free as well. if this has happened check schedule for the flight that works best for you even if it much more expensive.

I now will book the cheapest on AA that leaves in the middle of the night and end up leaving on a more expensive flight that leaves in the previous afternoon because they change their schedules so frequently.

Good Luck

Dave

The earliest you can possibly self-debark is around 7:30 am. You'll got through customs quickly. Newark Airport is about a twenty minute drive.

If the 7:30 is accurate, you'd get to the airport about 8:00 and I see 2 problems:

1. It will be too late to check bags. The airline simply won't let you do it.

2. You only have about 5-10 min to clear security and get to your gate before they potentially close the flight and/or give your seats away to standby passengers. Pax are generally required to be in the gate area by 15-30 min pre-flight in order to be protected on the flight. (i.e. not have their seats given away)

And he was no doubt an upper tier member of his preferred airline's frequent flyer program which inevitably got him preferential treatment.

There's a good chance the OP would be accommodated at no extra charge if he keeps the original flight and doesn't make it, but there's also a good chance that if he isn't one of the airline's upper tier frequent flyers, he'll have to pay. As for putting him "on the next one" he'd actually be put on the next flight that has available seats. Big difference, especially on a day when there are thousands of other cruise pax and subsequent flights are very likely sold out.

If the 7:30 is accurate, you'd get to the airport about 8:00 ...
I agree with all your subsequent comments in your msg (as to why this is highly unlikely to work). However the comment previous to yours said "The earliest you can possibly self-debark is around 7:30 am"; debark IMO means getting off the ship - you still have to go through immigration and get to your transportation before the 20-30 minute ride to the airport followed by luggage check (still takes time even if you are using curbside porters or pre-checked-in baggage drop) and security (which can be murder at EWR even on Sunday morning). The chances of being through security, much less at the gate by 8:30 are slim and none (and as the cliche goes, Slim has already left town). If they are not still actively loading it is common for the plane door to close 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure (the pilot wants to push back from the gate not later than scheduled departure time). Unless you are off the ship well prior to 7:30 I'd say there is ZERO chance of making an 8:30 flight if it departs on-time (and chances are that 8:30 flight spent the night on the tar-mac in EWR and is not running late).

Thom

Yeah, sorry OP [emoji22] This is really a bummer and I'm sorry you are losing money on this (unless like I said earlier your flight time gets changed and you can get a refund). This was an expensive mistake, but one that is probably not going to work out in your favor. You'll never make that flight and you are gonna have to purchase a whole new set of tickets. Make some sacrifices in your grocery budget for the next two months to try and recoup the cost, ride your bike to work and save gas money, don't eat out or buy new outfits etc. Just pretend it never happened.

We just missed a flight due traffic. We were at the airport 55 minutes prior to the flight departing. They would not accept our luggage. It had to be checked 60 minutes prior to take off. We were charged $730.00 AND 25,000 points. (total for the 2 of us) I would just make the change now. You will never make an 8:20 flight.