wedding rings

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

When you all cruise, do you bring your wedding rings? Also, do you bring them when you visit islands? I ask this because I recently read a crime article about heavier crime islands such as Puerto Rico and they said only bring as much cash as you need and only what you are prepared to lose (so no expensive jewelry)

When you all cruise, do you bring your wedding rings? Also, do you bring them when you visit islands? I ask this because I recently read a crime article about heavier crime islands such as Puerto Rico and they said only bring as much cash as you need and only what you are prepared to lose (so no expensive jewelry)

Yes. No reason to take it off.

Funny thing you bring up Puerto Rico- we were warned by my wife's aunts and uncles that we should remove our rings for a trip to San Juan. They live in Ponce....

Way, way, way over stated the risk. It's fine.

I wear my ring on the ship unless I am lounging by the pool or in the jacuzzi (don't want to get sunscreen or chlorine on it), otherwise I leave it in the safe in the room. I also leave it in the safe when I go to the gym.

For the islands, same sort of thing applies. If we are going to a beach then I leave it, while if we are doing more of a city-based activity I wear it.

On our first cruise after we got married, I was too afraid to wear it anywhere. Now I realize that it really is safe to have it on :)

My DW wears hers on the ship, but has a low cost substitute she wears when we go ashore. It's not so much she's worried about being robbed, but we go to the beach and other places that are hard on the rings and it just seems safer.

For us, the loss wouldn't be as much about the monetary value as it would the sentimental value. She has other less sentimental rings that she wears on her other hand without much discretion.

She puts her real rings in the safe while we're out which, at least, gives us the impression they might be sorta protected.

Tom

I would never go out without my wedding ring, in fact I'm not even sure if I can take it off, it's been about 10 years since I tried! but I would not be that overwrought if it was stolen - I'd be upset obviously, but it is covered by insurance, and I'm not that sentimental about it. If you have something irreplaceable, like a family heirloom, or something valuable that you think your insurance would not cover, then I would leave it behind on any trip personally - but I'd still wear a wedding ring, just a plain replacement band or similar.

We have spent probably 40 nights in Puerto Rico the past 7-8 years and never had reason to worry. I wouldn't call it a "heavier crime island". At least no more so than any other. Or New York or Chicago or LA......

As for cash, taking "no more than you need" is pretty much good advice anywhere anytime, not just on an island cruise port.

Edited by bouhunter

I would never go out without my wedding ring, in fact I'm not even sure if I can take it off, it's been about 10 years since I tried! but I would not be that overwrought if it was stolen - I'd be upset obviously, but it is covered by insurance, and I'm not that sentimental about it. If you have something irreplaceable, like a family heirloom, or something valuable that you think your insurance would not cover, then I would leave it behind on any trip personally - but I'd still wear a wedding ring, just a plain replacement band or similar.

I thought wedding rings were a symbol of unity with your spouse. Mine is a simple gold band and I am pretty sure it never left my finger in 26 years. It's placed on for unity, and remains there.

My original rings don't fit me anymore. I have a "stunt ring" that wear instead. It is a simple thin eternity band of swarovsky crystals that looks real, but isn't expensive or flashy.

I don't feel my ring is any less symbolic of marital unity, even if it isn't real or the original, and even if I go "ringless" every so often due to swelling.

Always wear ours never take them off. normally I stay on the straight path for cruises and don't go to the sketchy areas and ive been fine. Sure things can happen but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The only time we took them off was when we did the swim with the dolphins. They said they could scratch them so we took them off ahead of time

Edited by trev71

wow I remove mine quite often, especially for working out. I'm surprised at the number of you who have NEVER removed yours! Thanks all, good points and advice as usual

Same here. I only wear my rings when I leave the house, unless I am going to the gym. My husband doesn't even wear his on a regular basis, only if we are going out for dinner or drinks or something. My parents never wore theirs either (and still happily married) so I grew up with the idea of wedding rings as not being a very big deal as a symbol of marriage.

Interesting questions and responses, I would have initially said no way never take it off, but my wife would have said I won't wear my nice anniversary wedding ring-would just wear my plain band. Can absolutely see both sides of the question.

I guess as long as your ring isn't a 4 carat dazzler you will probably be ok :)

My SIL was vacationing in Myrtle Beach and wore her five-figure diamond ring and placed it in her beach bag before going swimming. It was gone when she returned. :( I think as long as you're smart about the situation (and if you chose not to wear it leave it in the safe!), you'll be okay to wear your ring...provided we couldn't substitute it for the ice skating rink on board! ;)

Safe travels, Sam

I always take mine along on cruises, and wear them on the ship, but usually leave them in the safe when we go to the islands, especially if we're doing a beach day! It's not so much that I'm worried they'll get stolen, but my husband lost his wedding band in the ocean once already...not something I'd like to repeat! ;)

I leave my wedding ring and anniversary band at home. Hands swell too much to be comfortable, also dont want to wear them in sea water. DH is ok with that. He does not wear one as he works in construction and it is safer not to wear one.

I regularly take my ring off and have done so for almost 30 yrs - actually it's off more than on. I work with moving mechanical parts and high voltage. Ever see what a grounded out ring does or one that snags? For the most part, I only where them when we go out. Doesn't make my marriage any less unified and DW feels totally secure in our marriage regardless.

My wedding ring and all the other jewelry I bring stays in the safe when they are not being worn. I would not wear my rings at home when I go to the beach or pool, and don't wear them on a ship doing those things or at the gym either. No need to risk something falling off my finger somehow, either because of soap or cool pool or ocean water or for any other reason.

Just safer in the safe.