PARIS ATTACKS-will River Cruises cancel?

dcruisers

There is an informative interview in today's Washington Post with a State Department official on traveling in the current environment including what to do you are involved in a terrorist attack : https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/after-paris-attacks-state-department-says-travel-but-be-alert--and-call-home/2015/11/24/8884f7a2-92d4-11e5-b5e4-279b4501e8a6_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-lifestyle%3Ahomepage%2Fcard

A few hours after our conversation, the agency released its Worldwide Travel Alert. In a response the next day, Bernier-Toth wrote in an e-mail, “We are urging U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance and exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at sites frequented by tourists. . . . We are not advising U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Europe, or any region in particular.”

As books such as Innumeracy and Freakonmics attest, probability is not a strong suit for most of us (including me).

Thus, I believe that all high schools should offer appropriate courses in statistics.

We will begin scanning spring cruises looking for some interesting offers as others may cancel. Is that the most likely time for lethal lightening strikes here in North America? Best avoid them![emoji1]

I think it was Harry Truman that said there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Hi everyone,

We're monitoring the attacks in Paris and any cruise/travel effects it might have, along with you. If you are on a cruise that's been affected, or have anything to share, please contribute a post if you can.

Our thoughts are with everyone in Paris right now.

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Brittany are there any updates on the general mood of cruisers a week after the attacks in Paris? I am still planning on our cruise from Rotterdam to Boston -- those Greenland ,Iceland and Shetland Island ports should not be too attractive to terrorists due to they are a long way from anywhere. I was just wondering also if the prices of river and ocean cruises are going down because of the threats and alerts. Thanks.

Thank you! We cruise twice a year and are going to South America for a month in Oct. 2016 and that area does not worry me. Just the hassle involved with security in Europe and feeling apprehensive leading up to the journey is not a vacation for me. I feel quite relieved and am happy with the decision and that is all that really matters.

South America sound exciting! Funny I said the same thing to my hubby today about traveling to South America. I don't worry about going there or any part of the Caribbean. We may even visit Hawaii. I don't know what we'll do, but we will find somewhere to visit. I am with you on the apprehensive leading up to a journey ... it doesn't make for a pleasant vacation.

All that really matters is that each of us are happy with our own decisions. :)

Edited by twinkletoes4445

Our cruise starts exactly 2 weeks from today. We're flying Air France from Atlanta(actually our first plane is in Tampa) to Paris, stay 2 days then to the ship in Germany. We're not worried, this cruise cost too much and no way are these Terrorist gonna intimate us from going.

I just cancelled my Viking Grand European. We were also going to go by train for a four-day "on-our-own" add-onto Prague. My penalty was $100. Also we will keep the $100 for $200 voucher for a future trip. Not everyone will agree. The probability that something will happen to ME is low, but I just don't feel comfortable travelling to Europe right now. I'm also thinking about So. America. I think I said this before, but I am not interested in being in the "then the terrorists will win" crowd. I don't want to spend thousands of $$ to make a political statement.

I just cancelled my Viking Grand European. We were also going to go by train for a four-day "on-our-own" add-onto Prague. My penalty was $100. Also we will keep the $100 for $200 voucher for a future trip. Not everyone will agree. The probability that something will happen to ME is low, but I just don't feel comfortable travelling to Europe right now. I'm also thinking about So. America. I think I said this before, but I am not interested in being in the "then the terrorists will win" crowd. I don't want to spend thousands of $$ to make a political statement.

I think what's important is you do what works for you the best. To each his own. But I will say, that we're on the same page. Whatever trip you end up booking, have a good time! :)

You may be able to rebook it next year and save back the $100, as I suspect that all European travel bookings will be soft. When you feel safer, monitor all the river cruise lines for sales.

I want to choose my seats and flight times. Also number of stops, etc.

Me too:) but guess what? (and this is not due to what happened in Paris)

but I booked my flights through AMA for my upcoming cruise and the

times/stops were exactly what I wanted AND it was less $ than what

was showing on the Airline website too.:D....I booked my flights at the

beginning of the month.....this will be my first River Cruise (after years

and years of Ocean Cruises).

We are leaving on Dec 5th to board the Viking Eistla going from Budapest to Passau. I worried about the water levels and now trying not to worry about security issues. Looking forward to visiting the Christmas markets so going on as planned. I did register with the US State Dept. and will remain vigilant.

I decided to go back and read this thread one by one but I probably missed

a few replies:eek:.....

Each person has to do what is best for themselves, that is for sure.

Compassion and common courtesy? Seems those are qualities that

are lacking on message boards, although I do find folks who

have them:)

Sadly we live in a world where folks are going to always hate other

folks:mad: but happily, there are also people who are kind and loving:)

I can't wait to take my first River Cruise:D....I realize some folks are

uncomfortable going over seas but I can't wait to see the Tulips in Amsterdam:)

Edited by Lois R

...I can't wait to take my first River Cruise:D....I realize some folks are

uncomfortable going over seas but I can't wait to see the Tulips in Amsterdam:)

I'm right with you Lois R - this is my first river cruise and I can't wait to see some Christmas markets and snowy European scenery and drink mulled wine.

I'm right with you Lois R - this is my first river cruise and I can't wait to see some Christmas markets and snowy European scenery and drink mulled wine.

Add me to that list, I can't wait to see some Christmas markets and try the mulled wine(although due to my alcohol intolerance, it'll only be a few sips, I know, I'm cursed, lol). First timer too and it's my first time in Europe as well. It's been a life long dream of mine to visit Europe and I won't let the current( although truly horrible and heinous) situation ruin it for us. I perfectly understand why others want to cancel their trips and I respect them for it. Alas for me, I'm still going

Lois R, I agree,

"Compassion and common courtesy? Seems those are qualities that

are lacking on message boards, although I do find folks who

have them:)

Sadly we live in a world where folks are going to always hate other

folks:mad: but happily, there are also people who are kind and loving:)"

Well said :).

Wish I could see the Tulips in Amsterdam too, but unless I can manage to catch a glimpse of them thru the window in the Amsterdam airport as we rush to catch our connecting flight (we have less than 1 hour and 20 minutes between flights:eek:)on our way home, it'll be only through pictures

If you have a window seat and it's day time, you should get a spectacular view of row upon row of tulips of all different colors. It took my breath away!! :D

Yea! Thanks!!! yes I've got the window seat too(I always claim it because I like to lean up against the wall)

BTW, I see you're from Long Island. I was born and raised on Long island, I miss our great restaurants and delis. Oh and the bagels....yum

As you can see from my signature [if you don't have them turned off ;)] I'm putting my money where my mouth is: 3 cruises booked for next year, and just booked one for 2017 and one for 2018 -- and I would have booked more but they just don't open the booking engines early enough! Thankfully my TA can get in to a section of the websites [e.g. AMA] that we civilians don't even see.

I had considered a TA plus another Med cruise. Decided to go elsewhere. BUT if I had booked, I would have cancelled and reconsidered in Spring. I feel there will be excellent bargains this 2016 Season due to oversupply.Cruise ships probably safe but I am concerned about the situation on shore.

The four us are keeping our booking for Viking Paris to Basel for April 2016. We are even spending 4 days in Paris prior to the cruise!

There is no way the bad guys are going to scare me! (Plus, Paris "should" have their act together in regards to security by then)

The four us are keeping our booking for Viking Paris to Basel for April 2016. We are even spending 4 days in Paris prior to the cruise!

There is no way the bad guys are going to scare me! (Plus, Paris "should" have their act together in regards to security by then)

Your will love your visit, enjoy!

This summer we stayed for four nights at a hotel on Ile Saint-Louis. It is centrally located but contains nothing that would make a good terrorist target.

Our recent trip included time in London and Berlin and then a flight to Basel to catch our cruise. We noticed lots of security at the Christmas markets in France, some in Berlin but not the other ports in Germany and London was much business as usual, at the airport and in the city.

At Gatwick now and security measures are much the same as we have experienced in recent years here.