Is a suite worth it?

isdoo

No, it hasn't stopped here. Day one, one of the first questions asked of me was about afternoon tea. Even if I'm not here I have a standing order of mint tea and cookies left. To be honest on a port intensive cruise I don't really need afternoon tea, but it's nice to have a little something left. I'm in a suite on deck 8. If you are on 7 or 6 you need to let your butler know at the start so he comes down with it. Well, that's been my experience.

Likewise after the first day Angelo always left us a pot of hot water, earl grey teabags are a fixture in the suite for us, scones usually with real clotted cream and a selection of goodies if we were not there at tea time. As you say it's not always needed but after a long day it's nice to return and relax with a cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in a CO suite last week. There was no mention of afternoon tea - either by the butler or on the information sheets in our suite. I did know that afternoon tea was available but only from previous cruisers. We didn't require it any day, the afternoon canapes were more than sufficient for our requirements.

However, had we been new to Azamara - and paying full price for a CO suite and a fan of afternoon tea - I would have been very disappointed to only find out on here after our cruise.

We were in a CO suite last week. There was no mention of afternoon tea - either by the butler or on the information sheets in our suite. I did know that afternoon tea was available but only from previous cruisers. We didn't require it any day, the afternoon canapes were more than sufficient for our requirements.

However, had we been new to Azamara - and paying full price for a CO suite and a fan of afternoon tea - I would have been very disappointed to only find out on here after our cruise.

Hmmmm, this is your butler not doing his job properly. Perhaps he just couldn't be bothered to walk it down to deck six. I'm on deck seven next week, but have the same butler. Elro is excellent.

Hmmmm, this is your butler not doing his job properly. Perhaps he just couldn't be bothered to walk it down to deck six. I'm on deck seven next week, but have the same butler. Elro is excellent.

Agree Phil, Elro is excellent. He remembered us from last year and helped with a couple of things which hadn't been done. Unfortunately he wasn't our butler last week.

We twice had club continental suite on deck 8. We didn't make use of our lovely butler and enjoyed having a bath, but got tired of the specialty restaurants and ended up in MDR which was very good.

What we didn't like and this was a factor in us choosing a balcony cabin midships on deck 7 was the noise in the suite on deck 8 from the deck above with restaurant furniture being moved around at all hours whilst they cleaned above us including water splashing down onto our balcony.

For us this year the refurbished balcony was perfectly fine for 10 days, used our free benefits such as wifi and just paid for Prime C as and when and saved a huge amount.

I would suggest either go all out for a top suite if you can afford it or book a well located balcony cabin and cruise more often! CC in our minds are a halfway house.

I felt the regular Veranda cabin was adequate but a little tight, and really didn't like the tiny shower (and clingy curtain). We had a chance to visit a Club Continent suite – it was just wider enough to really feel more spacious and the bathroom really benefits from the extra room. Note that you have a choice of tub or shower when you book a CC; some people feel very strongly one way or the other [we would take the large shower].

We too have just got off Quest in cabin 6069.

If you can afford to upgrade, then do it.

The shower area is VERY SMALL in the balcony cabins, and made even smaller when the shower curtain is blown in by the fan which activates when the light is switched on. It became very claustrophobic in there after a few minutes of showering.

My husband thought they could put a glass door on, instead of the curtain, I certainly wouldn't be able to access the shower as there would be insufficient room, unless it was retractable.

There are retractable clothes lines for the showers on board, which will be fitted in the 'next few months.'

What we didn't like and this was a factor in us choosing a balcony cabin midships on deck 7 was the noise in the suite on deck 8 from the deck above with restaurant furniture being moved around at all hours whilst they cleaned above us including water splashing down onto our balcony.

If you are referring to noise from the Sunset Bar area, it was my impression that after the refurbishment the furniture in that area created less noise. I didn't see the sign on the entrance, often posted on previous cruises, to keep the area closed until 8:00 a.m. as a matter of respect to those in staterooms below that deck.

Is my impression incorrect? Perhaps the residents of those staterooms were up anyway and did not make the noise an issue.

Water splashing down, of course, could well be still a concern.

Water splashing down, of course, could well be still a concern.

We normally walk (quietly) on deck 10 early in the morning and can confirm that the water splashing down is from the washing of the windows on deck 9 pool area as it's done by dangling a hose pipe over the side from deck 10 and this is done most days. This would obviously splash down onto the cabins below so the N1 suites and some of the forward balconies on deck 8 would be worst affected, I would imagine it also would get to some of the balcony cabins on deck 7. A bit inconvenient if you're stood below no doubt but you can see it coming, on the occasions we have been in midship cabins and have had this problem it's usually not too much water and easily cleaned up with a towel.

Normally these days we choose an N2 on port side as we find there's little noise from Windows cafe above, just the occasional trolley or dropped tray, and of course as they use the travelling cradle to clean the windows there it's only done in port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We too have just got off Quest in cabin 6069.

If you can afford to upgrade, then do it.

The shower area is VERY SMALL in the balcony cabins, and made even smaller when the shower curtain is blown in by the fan which activates when the light is switched on. It became very claustrophobic in there after a few minutes of showering.

My husband thought they could put a glass door on, instead of the curtain, I certainly wouldn't be able to access the shower as there would be insufficient room, unless it was retractable.

There are retractable clothes lines for the showers on board, which will be fitted in the 'next few months.'

I've taken at least 400 showers in veranda bathrooms on R-ships--going back to Renaissance days--and have never had an issue deserving of a rant like this. Claustrophobic? Nonsense.

It's impossible to answer the OP's question without knowing the price difference between a veranda and a CC suite for a given cruise. The answer is likely different if a suite is 40% more than if it's 20% more.

Much improved since they added a solid edge to the curtain. Since then I have not had a problem with the curtain, it stays in place and doesn't blow in. Maybe the OP hasn't been in the shower since they added the solid edge to the curtain.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Yes.Free for CC suites.

There is a area at the front of the ship with chairs and lounges and a hot tub.

It is not very large and can be very busy. In August we didn't manage to use it once.

We usually have an N1 odd number and we have been lucky enough to have Elro each time. However we have been victim of the window washing several times. The worst in was in August I was stood at the rail on the Balcony looking out at the port whilst waiting for my husband and the water just poured down. We were disembarking and I didn't have a change of clothes. Fourtunatly it was very warm and and I was able to use the hairdryer to sort out the worst.

My family thought it was very very funny.

We have never suffered from a noise issue. Yes you can hear movement above but it is minimal.

In 3 weeks we have a N2 even number, as we booked late and wanted to try a cabin with the walk in shower.

We have booked a CC suite on deck 8 on Quest next July. It's underneath The Patio not Windows, so I'm hoping it isn't too noisy very early in the morning. It was really our only option as we wanted the walk in shower and the other CC suites available all had the bathtubs.

As for being soaked by the window washing when waiting to disembark.....well, you were calmer than I would have been! :eek:

• 1 month later...

I think the OP was asking if springing for a suite would be worth it. The answer can be very subjective. I have never been on an Azamara cruise, but I booked a CC suite because the DW and I are doing a transatlantic in November. The Atlantic can be very very choppy in winter and cold. We opted for the CC because it's bigger and has some perks that I like. But We did it mainly because of the space. If it's cold most passengers will be in the inside of the ship making public areas potentially crowded. At least if we are relegated to our cabin we'll have some room.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am looking at club world owners suite for a 10 day cruise.

The cost is about double the continent suite (in GBP) but I think this is normal.

The current offer of the second person getting 50% off helps. But items such as gratuities, speciality restaurants, excursions are not included in the offer yet included with the suite - so no idea what they might charge for these 'free' or 'included' items for the owners suite - anyone know?

Also is there anyway to contact the concierge prior to the cruise for specific requests?

Thanks for all the replies.

I am looking at club world owners suite for a 10 day cruise.

The cost is about double the continent suite (in GBP) but I think this is normal.

The current offer of the second person getting 50% off helps. But items such as gratuities, speciality restaurants, excursions are not included in the offer yet included with the suite - so no idea what they might charge for these 'free' or 'included' items for the owners suite - anyone know?

Also is there anyway to contact the concierge prior to the cruise for specific requests?

In a Club World Owners suite dining in the specialty restaurants is included. As is a special Insider Access (small group) tour, or Night and Cool Places evening tour. Gratuities are included for all, regardless of stateroom or suite.

Here's a link to the inclusions: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/life-onboard/inclusive-amenities

Thanks - however the offer says gratuities & excursions are not included for the second person - but I can't find anywhere that says how much they are.

This makes the offer less attractive.

You're looking at a special offer and you're in the U.K.?

If so, ask your agent, or call/write our U.K. office for clarification on what's included and what's not included in the special.

Our U.K. Managing Director is Richard Twynam. Here's his email rtwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com

Thanks.

The same offer is on both the UK and US websites.

I assume that the offer has been on before, so maybe someone knew.

I've just reread the Terms & Conditions of the BOGOHO+ offer on both the US and UK sites. I don't see where it says the second person in a suite on this offer is not entitled to specialty restaurants, included tour (Club Owner & Club Ocean), or inclusive gratuities.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/luxury-cruise-deals/bogoho-plus?_ga=1.126777486.2096883773.1387517836

Under the offer, on both country sites, is a section called "AND THAT'S IN ADDITION TO EVERYTHING ALREADY INCLUDED ON YOUR VOYAGE" with three categories. Those inclusives listed apply to both guests in the stateroom/suite purchased.

What I did see is that the Port Fees & Taxes are not going to be halved for the second person. Perhaps that was the confusing part?

I do apologize if this offer seems confusing.

It tends to be one of our most popular sales each year.

Hi,

BOGOHO offer is a saving of 50% from the Voyage Fare of the second guest booked into the stateroom. No other guests within the stateroom will be eligible for the saving. The 50% saving is calculated based on the full voyage fare of the first guest in the stateroom. The Voyage Fare includes standard meals on-board (excluding speciality dining) and most entertainment onboard as well as selected drinks, but excludes personal expenses (i.e. laundry), shore excursions, travel insurance, travel arrangements to and from the port and gratuities.

(my bolding)

Actually just checked and these exclusions are not mentioned on the USA site.

So perhaps they will only charge gratuities to UK guests taking the offer. But as there seems to be no published amount then who knows...

Of course it could just be badly worded.

Unable to call Azamara as currently in the USA and their premium rate line would be even more expensive from here.