Carribean Cruise: Option 1 or Option 2 ?

cruise4parents

I'm comparing Ship and Places they are porting. Biggest differences in these two things here?

Option 1: Celebrity Equinox

Fri Feb 12 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:00pm

Sat Feb 13 At Sea

Sun Feb 14 At Sea

Mon Feb 15 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00am 5:00pm

Tue Feb 16 St. Kitts 7:00am 3:00pm

Wed Feb 17 Barbados 9:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 18 St. Maarten 2:30pm

Fri Feb 19 St. Maarten 5:00pm

Sat Feb 20 At Sea

Sun Feb 21 At Sea

Mon Feb 22 Fort Lauderdale, FL 7:00am

Option 2: Celebrity Silhouette

Sun Feb 7 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:30pm

Mon Feb 8 At Sea

Tue Feb 9 Cozumel, Mexico 7:00am 4:00pm

Wed Feb 10 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 10:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 11 Falmouth, Jamaica 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri Feb 12 Labadee, Haiti 10:00am 5:00pm

Sat Feb 13 At Sea

Sun Feb 14 Fort Lauderdale, FL 7:00am

If it were me, I would go with option 1, but that's largely because I've already been to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. Plus, option 1 is 10 days instead of 7, and it includes an overnight in St Maarten, which is awesome! Oh, and it has four sea days. I love sea days!

Edited by bakersdozen12

It is really a personal preference. What kinds of things do you like to do? What might be an idea for you is to go to the ports of call part of the forum and check out what people are saying about each of those places.

Personally, I would take option 1. I loved St. Thomas (we went over to St. John and visited Trunk Bay Beach which is GORGEOUS). I've never been to Barbados or St. Kitts but would love to go. St. Maarten I just found okay, but that is partially my own fault for not doing enough research before. We didn't do any sort of excursion so we just ended up walking around. It wasn't my favourite.

As for option 2, the only one of those places i've been to is Grand Cayman and it is very nice there. Definitely very safe (and expensive). If you go there and are into snorkelling, try out stingray city. When we went, we took a jeep tour all around the island and it was a ton of fun. I'm heading to Cozumel in January. Hopefully it ends up being a good day.

If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer anything I can.

Are you absolutely confining your choices to Celebrity? If so I suggest checking out any discussion on that board regarding their program of having most Caribbean sailings include overnight calls.

Honestly, to me the first option is no better than a standard seven-night Eastern Caribbean cruise; the only additions to those are Barbados and extra sea days. A cruise with a call at a private island beach would be much preferable than one with an overnight at St Maarten. If you have no interest in an evening tour there then the cruise essentially becomes 5 sea days with only 4 port days.

I like both (in fact will be doing option #2 in March!)

So why edge to #1? 10 days & Barbados/St. Kitts--2 ports you don't typically get on Caribbean cruises.

But I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Edited by KKB

I agree...no way would I spend my $$ in Mexico...They are not our friends!

I'm sorry you feel that way. My husband and I just visited the Coba Mayan Ruins in mainland Mexico when our cruise stopped in Cozumel last month. It was one of the best experiences of our lives. Learning about the Mexican culture was wonderful, and everyone we met was incredibly nice. Wish you were so prejudice and could see that for yourself.

Jamaica, well not a port to walk around in..

Labadee, this is Royal's own beach. Not much to see if you don't like to go to the beach.

Cozumel, we love the beach on the eastcoast. But if I remember right your parents didn't like to go to the beach.

St. Kitts isn't my favorite. But they do have an old fortress.

I would take cruise nr 1.

By the way, I have been to all ports on both cruises except Grand Cayman.

These are sister ships and essentially identical, so it really doesn't matter which one you sail on. Solstice is the older of the 2, debuted in 2008. Equinox debuted in 2009. I would choose the longer of the two cruises - Option 1 as I think those are better ports and the longer the cruise the better!.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

I'm comparing Ship and Places they are porting. Biggest differences in these two things here?

Option 1: Celebrity Equinox

Fri Feb 12 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:00pm

Sat Feb 13 At Sea

Sun Feb 14 At Sea

Mon Feb 15 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00am 5:00pm

Tue Feb 16 St. Kitts 7:00am 3:00pm

Wed Feb 17 Barbados 9:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 18 St. Maarten 2:30pm

Fri Feb 19 St. Maarten 5:00pm

Sat Feb 20 At Sea

Sun Feb 21 At Sea

Mon Feb 22 Fort Lauderdale, FL 7:00am

Option 2: Celebrity Silhouette

Sun Feb 7 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:30pm

Mon Feb 8 At Sea

Tue Feb 9 Cozumel, Mexico 7:00am 4:00pm

Wed Feb 10 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 10:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 11 Falmouth, Jamaica 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri Feb 12 Labadee, Haiti 10:00am 5:00pm

Sat Feb 13 At Sea

Sun Feb 14 Fort Lauderdale, FL 7:00am

The Equinox and Silhouette are sister ships - both Solstice class. Equinox was built in 2009. Silhouette was built in 2011. Cabins and most amenities will be identical on the two ships. I prefer the ports for Option 1.