Deployment 2017/18 - first guesses and implications

All planets would need to be aligned on every single sailing. I think this math indicates very well that Voyager/Freedom ships won't be sailing under the BoA any time in the near future, new locks or not.

I would tend to agree.

I just wish Royal would take advantage of the 10 panamax ships (Radiance and Vision Classes, Empress) that they currently have sailing. :rolleyes:

I would tend to agree.

I just wish Royal would take advantage of the 10 panamax ships (Radiance and Vision Classes, Empress) that they currently have sailing. :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Royal need to show some imagination in its itineraries, sadly lacking in recent times.

Does anyone think Royal could base a larger ship in Northern Europe at some point?

NCL have deployed the Getaway to Copenhagen next summer and RCI's competition is Serenade and a few visits from Vision. NCL should win that one for sure.

Does anyone think Royal could base a larger ship in Northern Europe at some point?

NCL have deployed the Getaway to Copenhagen next summer and RCI's competition is Serenade and a few visits from Vision. NCL should win that one for sure.

The big ships are not able to go into Stockholm which makes Baltic cruises less interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The big ships are not able to go into Stockholm which makes Baltic cruises less interesting.

Navigator went to Stockholm in 2007 and the Getaway is booked for there multiple times next year.

Navigator went to Stockholm in 2007 and the Getaway is booked for there multiple times next year.

Navigator went to Nynäshamn, Regal Princess as well. Getaway is split between both ports so they might try to bring her in.

Navigator went to Nynäshamn, Regal Princess as well. Getaway is split between both ports so they might try to bring her in.

Ok, Navigator went in 2007 as a trail but the outcome was an erosion damage. You can find a report about this and I trust this size of ship is too risky.

We were on Celebrity Eclipse and went to Stockholm. Does anyone know how her size compares to the ships in the RCI fleet?

We were on Celebrity Eclipse and went to Stockholm. Does anyone know how her size compares to the ships in the RCI fleet?

Eclipse is closest in size to Royal's Voyager class.

Eclipse has about 122,000 Gross Tons and Voyager class about 138,000.

Voyager class is deeper and wider than Eclipse and most other ships mentioned before so that combination is the main issue with the entrance to Stockholm (and many orther ports in North Europe like e.g. Warnemuende/Rostock, Bergen and Riga just to name a few).

Eclipse, Silhouette and Regal Princess go into Stockholm but with many restrictions (e.g. weather issues and daylight transite only).

If even bigger ships like Norwegian Getwaway really are allowed to go into Stockholm from 2017 a Voyager class could indeed go as well. However, it might not work all the time and the calls are very short (9 am arrival and 3 pm departure).

Eclipse has about 122,000 Gross Tons and Voyager class about 138,000.

Voyager class is deeper and wider than Eclipse and most other ships mentioned before so that combination is the main issue with the entrance to Stockholm (and many orther ports in North Europe like e.g. Warnemuende/Rostock, Bergen and Riga just to name a few).

Eclipse, Silhouette and Regal Princess go into Stockholm but with many restrictions (e.g. weather issues and daylight transite only).

If even bigger ships like Norwegian Getwaway really are allowed to go into Stockholm from 2017 a Voyager class could indeed go as well. However, it might not work all the time and the calls are very short (9 am arrival and 3 pm departure).

Yes, if I remember correctly we left Stockholm mid afternoon and there was 4 cruise ships in a line heading out through the archipelago.

I would tend to agree.

Agree!! With so well-sized, versatile ships they could offer a lot of appealing itineraries!! But you see, with mostly uninspired winter itineraries, even on the Panmax-ships, which clients RCCL are addressing...

At least one ship for the Central America/Panama Canal runs would be nice, and South America as well.

RCCL is flippantly stating they cannot offer Mexican Riviera cruises from California, since only low-cost lines offer such cruises, and RCCL's experience is not low cost - Princess, HAL, NCL and Carnival are low-cot-lines now - you never stop learning.

After such loud-mothed statements, I am asking myself why they do not offer South America, Panama Canal or sth. else? Aren't they able to fill their ships on such itineraries? :P

Look at HAL, NCL and Princess, they have a huge bandwith of Panama Canal/Central America sailings!!!

Agree!! With so well-sized, versatile ships they could offer a lot of appealing itineraries!! But you see, with mostly uninspired winter itineraries, even on the Panmax-ships, which clients RCCL are addressing...

At least one ship for the Central America/Panama Canal runs would be nice, and South America as well.

RCCL is flippantly stating they cannot offer Mexican Riviera cruises from California, since only low-cost lines offer such cruises, and RCCL's experience is not low cost - Princess, HAL, NCL and Carnival are low-cot-lines now - you never stop learning.

After such loud-mothed statements, I am asking myself why they do not offer South America, Panama Canal or sth. else? Aren't they able to fill their ships on such itineraries? :P

Look at HAL, NCL and Princess, they have a huge bandwith of Panama Canal/Central America sailings!!!

Max, FWIW, I think RCL understands how to deploy their assets for the best profits.

There are predictions that 3 in 4 cruise passengers will be Chinese in 5-10 years and also that China will be the leading market.

I'm worried for what this will bring for Royal Caribbean. Maybe they should just create a new Chinese subsidiary to replace Pullmantur.

There are predictions that 3 in 4 cruise passengers will be Chinese in 5-10 years and also that China will be the leading market.

I'm worried for what this will bring for Royal Caribbean. Maybe they should just create a new Chinese subsidiary to replace Pullmantur.

But remember Chinese cruises are only 3 and 4 days. That is what will give the big number of passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is very unlikely that prediction will transpire. It is more likely that China will have a financial crisis or prolonged stagnation with consequential effect on the Chineses cruise market.

Richard Fain and the team gave a very optimistic view for their deployment choices at the Q2 conference call yesterday.

They stated that they have been surprised that Brexit has had no effect on their business at the moment. They stated that they had expected at least a hesitation in the market, but that this had not been the case.

They stated that the move of the Celebrity Equinox had more to do with the brand having a year round presence in the Caribbean. They noted that the Edge class release was related to this move.

They stated that while the Eastern MED was having a downturn that other Europe was doing very well. Capacity was being filled by Europeans to a higher degree with a slight drop in US travelers and the only problem was that Europeans spend less onboard than the Americans. (much less need for shore excursions for EU travelers)

TUI was the quarters best performing cruise line for RCL and the lease income from TUI and SkySea from China would further boost performance. RCL will have management and maritime contracts even on these leased out ships and will still be able to depreciate the assets (ships).

Richard Fain was highly supportive of China. They stated that their was a slight slowdown in Shanghai, while Tianjin was doing very well.

He stated that " We will never see growth again as low as we are now seeing in China" and went on to compare the market to the USA with the very long growth path and early dependency on agents. He made it clear that cruising requires reference groups and that cruising will really take off in China when the Chinese return year after year and recommend cruising as an option to friends and family.

What was most interesting was that there was no mention about Cuba. The analysts were most interested in financials surrounding the Pullmantur deal with the 51% sale to Springwater Capital.

Analysts prior to the call had stated that if the stock dropped below $67 it would most likely fall towards a target of $50. It fell as low as $67.05.

RCL stated they will not sell or transfer any assets in 2017. There was no mention of Empress, Vision or Azamara.

With the short term itinerary releases for these ships, this would have been an interesting topic. The Cuba speculation is still there, but nothing in this call led to believe that there were short term Cuba expectations.

They stated that the move of the Celebrity Equinox had more to do with the brand having a year round presence in the Caribbean. They noted that the Edge class release was related to this move.

As in the first Edge class ship will stay in Europe?

Richard Fain and the team gave a very optimistic view for their deployment choices at the Q2 conference call yesterday.

They stated that they have been surprised that Brexit has had no effect on their business at the moment. They stated that they had expected at least a hesitation in the market, but that this had not been the case.

They stated that while the Eastern MED was having a downturn that other Europe was doing very well. Capacity was being filled by Europeans to a higher degree with a slight drop in US travelers and the only problem was that Europeans spend less onboard than the Americans. (much less need for shore excursions for EU travelers)

TUI was the quarters best performing cruise line for RCL and the lease income from TUI and SkySea from China would further boost performance. RCL will have management and maritime contracts even on these leased out ships and will still be able to depreciate the assets (ships).

Richard Fain was highly supportive of China. They stated that their was a slight slowdown in Shanghai, while Tianjin was doing very well.

He stated that " We will never see growth again as low as we are now seeing in China" and went on to compare the market to the USA with the very long growth path and early dependency on agents. He made it clear that cruising requires reference groups and that cruising will really take off in China when the Chinese return year after year and recommend cruising as an option to friends and family.

What was most interesting was that there was no mention about Cuba. The analysts were most interested in financials surrounding the Pullmantur deal with the 51% sale to Springwater Capital.

Analysts prior to the call had stated that if the stock dropped below $67 it would most likely fall towards a target of $50. It fell as low as $67.05.

RCL stated they will not sell or transfer any assets in 2017. There was no mention of Empress, Vision or Azamara.

With the short term itinerary releases for these ships, this would have been an interesting topic. The Cuba speculation is still there, but nothing in this call led to believe that there were short term Cuba expectations.

Thanks for that information. :) I'm glad to see RCI is doing well, now I need to book more cruises.