Oosterdam Cabin next to glass elevators

Chrome Diva

Just getting off the Oosterdam I have seen questions about people seeing into your balcony from the Glass Elevators. The answer is a Big Yes.

You can see in the balcony. I tried to attach a photo. No luck.

Actually, your photo showed up just fine, thanks very much.

Thanks for the photos.

That is how I remember it from the ship. I always wonder if those cabins are "guarentees" mostly. Can't imagine booking one! I guess this is another good reason for HAL dropping these elevators on the newbuild.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I'm not sure what would be worse for these cabins, people peering at your balcony or the noise from the very busy area just metres from your doorway. Six elevators, a staircase and the four corridors leading to it generate quite a din. Plus the crew staircase across the hall from you, which would be REALLY noisy as they hauled out baggage overnight prior to disembarkation.

I always wonder if those cabins are "guarentees" mostly. Can't imagine booking one! I guess this is another good reason for HAL dropping these elevators on the newbuild.
I've read on CC that quite a few people like them, and don't mind the loss of privacy. I think doing away with them had more to do with increasing revenue by packing in more rooms.

Plus the crew staircase across the hall from you, which would be REALLY noisy as they hauled out baggage overnight prior to disembarkation.
I've always seen elevators being used to bring baggage up ... why would they use stairs to bring it down?

I've read on CC that quite a few people like them, and don't mind the loss of privacy. I think doing away with them had more to do with increasing revenue by packing in more rooms.

>SNIP<

We are quite happy to not have a neighbouring cabin. For us, the "loss of privacy" isn't a loss at all.

Balconies are not clothing optional for the most part! :)

Not those balconies anyway! :eek:

We've had those cabins and had no problems with noise or people staring at us. The elevators generally moved quickly, and besides, who cares if someone looks onto your balcony for a moment? We would take another one with no concern.

A couple we sat with at dinner on Zuiderdam had one of those cabins and that is exactly what they said.

We've had those cabins and had no problems with noise or people staring at us. The elevators generally moved quickly, and besides, who cares if someone looks onto your balcony for a moment? We would take another one with no concern.

I book these cabins whenever they are available. Have never experienced noise from the elevator lobby nor cared about people looking at the balcony which I have not seen happen in my experience. The convenience of the elevators. being near the Neptune Lounge when in a Neptune Suite, and not having another cabin next door, are the major benefits of these cabins IMO.

I would not want that verandah. I've been in that elevator so many times and there is little privacy. It isn't I'm doing anything private on the verandah but I'd feel like a lot of sightseers were peering at me. :D

Balconies are not clothing optional for the most part! :)

I've been known to have breakfast on our verandah wearing a silk robe. The HAL ones can be too heavy in the Caribbean especially if on the sunny side of the ship. Certainly I am covered in my robe but I don't wish to display myself that way while enjoying a private breakfast in my verandah.

I'm not sure what would be worse for these cabins, people peering at your balcony or the noise from the very busy area just metres from your doorway. Six elevators, a staircase and the four corridors leading to it generate quite a din. Plus the crew staircase across the hall from you, which would be REALLY noisy as they hauled out baggage overnight prior to disembarkation.

I've been one cabin away from the one next to the glass elevator - and there was never any noise to deal with. It's a very convenient location.

Our last cruise on the Eurodam in 2014 we had a room next to the glass elevators and we loved it. The elevator goes so fast it wasn't an issue and there was no noise that we noticed. It was so convenient how close we were to Neptune Lounge and the stairs etc. We'd be fine getting a room just like that for our next cruise coming up on the Oosterdam in Oct. We actually are hoping we get assigned one :D

I've been one cabin away from the one next to the glass elevator - and there was never any noise to deal with. It's a very convenient location.

We were one cabin away from Glass Elevator for Noordam's Dedication and it was fine. I'd have no problem booking that cabin.

[/b]

We were one cabin away from Glass Elevator for Noordam's Dedication and it was fine. I'd have no problem booking that cabin.

[/b]

We have had one of those cabins and I would book one again. I can assure you there is nothing worth seeing on my balcony. :)

Absolutely no noise at all and 50% less chance of having a smoker next to you.

Good to know. Thanks. :) Smoking comment is definitely one to remember!

We've done cabins next to the glass elevator on both the Westerdam and the Eurodam. We love them. I never noticed any noise. The elevator moves so swiftly I never saw anyone staring at us. Most people are either looking out at the view or watching the door to get off. The location is great with everything on the ship easily reached. Since we frequently travel at Christmas, we usually decorate our door. Several people thanked us for making it easier for them to remember how to get to their own cabin!

St. Louis Sal

Totally agree with you - we had cabin 5100 on the Noordam and it was great.

Just getting off the Oosterdam I have seen questions about people seeing into your balcony from the Glass Elevators. The answer is a Big Yes.

You can see in the balcony. I tried to attach a photo. No luck.

The biggest issue is when the elevator actually stops at your deck and people who stand right by the glass can see onto the verandah as well as partially see onto the verandah of the cabin next to the elevator.

But they can't see into your cabin.

I have booked and have a current booking for an SB cabin next to the mid ship external elevator. There is rarely if any added noise from being that close to the elevator. I expect more noise from people going into an out of the Neptune when their key card does not open the door.

As for people looking onto the veranda? Let them. They will see one happy TheEmerson sitting, watching the world with a bottle of Crown or something else. Glass in hand.

At the end of the day, it is a vacation for me to relax, not for me to care if someone sees me being happy.

We have had one of those cabins and I would book one again ...

I completely agree with both of you ... however, after reflecting on some of the other posts, I'm beginning to think that the glass elevator walls may need to be blacked out to protect riders from some of the sights they might see ...

The biggest issue is when the elevator actually stops at your deck and people who stand right by the glass can see onto the verandah as well as partially see onto the verandah of the cabin next to the elevator.

I think most people in the elevators are looking at the ocean views and when it stops, some will be looking at the door to exit or maybe the floor numbers. :)

I book these cabins whenever they are available. Have never experienced noise from the elevator lobby nor cared about people looking at the balcony which I have not seen happen in my experience. The convenience of the elevators. being near the Neptune Lounge when in a Neptune Suite, and not having another cabin next door, are the major benefits of these cabins IMO.

Couldn't agree with you more. Noise is not an issue and I never do anything on a balcony that anyone could talk about.

I would not want that verandah. I've been in that elevator so many times and there is little privacy. It isn't I'm doing anything private on the verandah but I'd feel like a lot of sightseers were peering at me. :D

I really think people are more concerned about looking out at the sea rather than a balcony.