Juneau Webcam New Dock Activity

Sequim88

I know there's a fairly large following for the Juneau Web Cam on the roof of the Hanger restaurant. Without the ships regularly visiting the off-season is kind of boring BUT... with the activity on the new dock it's interesting to check in once in a while.

Today there seems to be more activity than usual with what looks to be drilling and maybe pile driving. Not sure what the gushing water is about but looks like it might be some sort of hydro excavation/drilling to prep for pile driving. Earlier it was gushing white but now dark gray like it is full of sand and gravel.

http://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/

At least it is not snowing or raining but 18° is a little chilly. I can imagine how slippery those barges decks must be. Looks like a little snow cover on shore.

Looking forward to seeing the new dock in June. :cool:

I have been checking in once in a while to see what's happening. Snowing good right now. I do miss the puppy cam, they were cute.

Allan

You mean the sight of all the wrestling and sitting on the steps howling. Of course, there was no sound so we never heard their improving attempts. :D

Still snowing today and showing downtown. Looks like they have a lot already and 3-5 inches more during day today. luvteaching - looks like it is headed this way with 4-6 inches in the lowlands near Puget Sound tomorrow. Yuk. :( didn't move here from MN just to still get snow. :mad: If I want snow I'll go up to the mountains.

I hope they get the camera back to the harbor soon.

I think this article might answer your questions: http://juneauempire.com/local/2015-09-16/panamax-dock-materials-arrive-downtown-juneau

The article is about the first of the two Panamax docs, which was completed in 2016. About 3/4 of the way down the page, the article mentions the second Panamax dock, which should be ready in 2017.

Prior to constructing this newest dock, only the smaller cruise ships could tie up at that location. Last summer the Nieuw Amsterdam and a Celebrity ship shared the AJ Dock every other week, with the other having to tender.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

The 2017 Juneau Cruise Ship Schedule

I see that unlike the 2017 schedule it is not showing specific dock assignments so perhaps that will be determined and added later. But gives an idea of how many ships on a given day.

I see that when we are in Juneau on Oosterdam there will be six ships there in all. Pretty crowded day in Juneau. :( But NCL Jewel leaves 1/2 an hour before Pearl arrives so they can swap at the dock. So perhaps no tendering.

Edited by Sequim88

The 2017 Juneau Cruise Ship Schedule

I see that unlike the 2017 schedule it is not showing specific dock assignments so perhaps that will be determined and added later. But gives an idea of how many ships on a given day.

I see that when we are in Juneau on Oosterdam there will be six ships there in all. Pretty crowded day in Juneau. :( But NCL Jewel leaves 1/2 an hour before Pearl arrives so they can swap at the dock. So perhaps no tendering.

The Jewel and Pearl always do the swap at AJ dock. So probably has no bearing on whether other ships dock or not. 2017 is listed as "preliminary", so I think we will eventually see the dock assignments. The NIEUW AMSTERDAM tendered in 2016 so that has me worried. It wouldn't be a problem for me , but will be hard for my handicapped friend.

I see we will be getting off the Oosterdam as you are getting on. I promise to keep it in good shape for you.:)

Edited by Tinknock50

What is it we are looking at now? Is that the new dock work?

No. I believe that is the area just beside seaplanes. We never really had this view last summer or the town view, for that matter.

The cruise piers are to the left and straight out (looking across the harbor and down the channel). It is hard to mistake once you see it.

No. I believe that is the area just beside seaplanes. We never really had this view last summer or the town view, for that matter.

The cruise piers are to the left and straight out (looking across the harbor and down the channel). It is hard to mistake once you see it.

Good point. I don't know why I asked that because I have been to Juneau many times and that didn't seem to look like the docks.

Edited by Tinknock50