HAL Tiles

ger_77

After years not knowing what to do with our tiles, yesterday I purchased a 75 cent wooden tray at a garage sale, sprayed it blue, and glued some of our Mariner tiles inside. I had difficulty because so many are the same, and some tiles are thinner than others, so trying to get a variety was tough. The thin tiles will have to wait for another tray.

DH looked at it and said "Along with our HAL jewelry (pins, medallions), that's the most expensive sandwich tray I've seen." :rolleyes:

Here's what the finished product looks like; not perfect, but perfect for me.

ry%3D400

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Lovely! We've been using ours as coasters. I'm kind of disappointed that the last few cruises have been a tile that represents all the ships in that class. I would like more variety. My favorite is a stylized version of the Statue of Liberty that we received sailing on the Noordam out of NYC many years ago. I wish I knew how to post a photo from my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely! We've been using ours as coasters. I'm kind of disappointed that the last few cruises have been a tile that represents all the ships in that class. I would like more variety. My favorite is a stylized version of the Statue of Liberty that we received sailing on the Noordam out of NYC many years ago. I wish I knew how to post a photo from my iPad.

This one?

115-300x300.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

Hi,

Yes, I am the guilty one. Yes, one tile will represent one for the ships of a particular class... as like in the Vista class. The important thing is that EACH ship will represent in that class. It takes time... and up to date two of the Vista ships have been used. Two more will be used and at least another three years to get through that group. Example, PRINSENDAM is on her own. The image for the ship was changed twice.

With fifteen ships it would be great if every ship had her tile. Perfect.... but it would need a new painting every two years to come up with new images. It was easiest to use the images based on my paintings hanging in the stairwells. By making them in groups... like the Vitsa class can cover four different ships.

Would be nice to have tiles from special ports like in New York, but not many ships call at NY these days so it would not be appropriate for cruises to the Caribbean, Alaska or Europe.

It might seem to come up with good ideas and it takes a lot or planning to come up with new tiles. My part in the paintings is just a small part in the tiles!

Stephen

Fantastic! Ours are coasters; but maybe some day we can integrate them into something else. Maybe my ossuary!

Had to look that one up Jim! Never too old to learn ;) But yes, and then it could match your obituary of being a HAL and Delft's Blue lover :)

Recently a new piece for my collection... a 'Freedom' plate from 1944.

'Raises from the Netherlands with peace and wellbeing'... made at Maastricht.

Ha, my Mum and Dad had that one hanging on the living room wall :) The south of Holland, incl. the City of Maastricht, was liberated mostly by the Americans (hence the American flag on the right side of he plate) and the north and west by the Brits and Canadians. They'd never forget and always told us kids about the Canadian Army band playing concerts every Sunday on "het Surinameplein", a public square around the corner from where we lived in Amsterdam for months after the war was over!

Edited by Copper10-8