do they cancel flight if not half booked?

vacation fool

This is the question I posed to Delta. I am booked with frequent flyer miles on a partner airline-Alitalia on 10/22/15 from MIA-FLR The first leg which ends in Rome only has about 32 seats booked on it. The rep at Delta told me they never cancel flights because the plane still has to get to its destination-meaning Rome. Do you believe this information as being accurate? Has anyone else had this happen to them? I looked at all the other flights for that day and most are half filled or more. If I change my ticket at this point, it is a $150 change fee to each ticket :eek: Thanks for any comments/shared experiences. :)

What prompted this unnecessary worry? STOP worrying about this and get ready for your trip. Why would you think the info is no accurate? The plane needs to return to Rome for its next flight. The are NOT going to let it sit in Miami because it might only be half booked. Of course it is only May, and your flight is five months away, so there is a pretty good chance your will be on a full flight.

I sometimes think folks on here just look for things to worry about.

This is the question I posed to Delta. I am booked with frequent flyer miles on a partner airline-Alitalia on 10/22/15 from MIA-FLR The first leg which ends in Rome only has about 32 seats booked on it. The rep at Delta told me they never cancel flights because the plane still has to get to its destination-meaning Rome. Do you believe this information as being accurate? Has anyone else had this happen to them? I looked at all the other flights for that day and most are half filled or more. If I change my ticket at this point, it is a $150 change fee to each ticket :eek: Thanks for any comments/shared experiences. :)

How many airplanes do you think Alitalia has?

What, they've got 50 planes just sitting around empty at $100M a plane?

That plane is flying to Rome even if it only has 1 seat sold. That plane is scheduled to depart Rome for somewhere else in the world with about a 1 hour turn around time.

In addition to what others have told you about aircraft movement, you can't go by what you are seeing online as to the number booked. There may well be tickets sold but seats yet to be assigned. Don't worry, likely you will have many companions on your flight.

Guess you didn't see a recent story about a carrier (can't remember which one) that only had a couple of people booked...that plane flew regardless ;)

BTW: Even though you have nothing to worry about especially this far in advance....I see nothing wrong with your general question...as many have probably wondered this too.

Edited by Ashland

The flight you are worried about takes off in October. Much can happen in 5 months including sales. The airline is not a charter so the worry about the flight not actually leaving is small. The flight being changed, either time or metal, is much greater than not going. Mechanical problems have grounded flights, but no one knows about that until shortly before takeoff. Just be glad you have the seat(s) booked with FFM's and quit stressing over seating charts that are not accurate as to seats sold.

In addition, keep in mind that airlines make a LOT of money off of cargo, especially on international flights. You will never know how much cargo (or what) is sitting beneath you in the plane, to the point where it can go out empty in the cabin and still make decent money.

An example is that American operates a Raleigh to London flight with a 767-300 that used to be a larger 777-200. Raleigh used to be an AA hub (or at least a focus city, not sure), but that was long ago, and AA continued to operate a 777-200 on that route long after they de-hubbed Raleigh. Why? They had a contract with (I believe) GlaxoSmithKline to transport product between North Carolina and the UK on a daily basis. So the plane was often going out fairly quiet up above, but packed to the gills down below. It's still the case, but they have downsized a bit from 777-200 to 767-300.

In addition, keep in mind that airlines make a LOT of money off of cargo, especially on international flights. You will never know how much cargo (or what) is sitting beneath you in the plane, to the point where it can go out empty in the cabin and still make decent money.

An example is that American operates a Raleigh to London flight with a 767-300 that used to be a larger 777-200. Raleigh used to be an AA hub (or at least a focus city, not sure), but that was long ago, and AA continued to operate a 777-200 on that route long after they de-hubbed Raleigh. Why? They had a contract with (I believe) GlaxoSmithKline to transport product between North Carolina and the UK on a daily basis. So the plane was often going out fairly quiet up above, but packed to the gills down below. It's still the case, but they have downsized a bit from 777-200 to 767-300.

There very often are bargain flights to the UK on this flight. And it is GlaxoSmithKline. For their executives and sales people, it is almost a private jet experience even though anyone can book. The freight pays for the flight.

Another one is the middle of the week, particularly Thursday, Emirates flights out of JFK to Dubai. Our halal meat goes on that plane every Thursday night. Very often, our guys at JFK report the plane is less than 1/2 full and they are selling walkup tickets for the unheard of price of $350-450. This plane does not get a lot of local traffic because it lands on Friday, which is the Muslim Holy Day. So local Middle Easterners either book on the Wednesday flight to get home or stay in the USA until the Friday night flight (which is packed).

To the OP: they won't cancel for all the reasons posted. The airlines NEEDS the plane at the other end of the flight, seat maps are unreliable and freight may be heavy on the flight.

Another one is the middle of the week, particularly Thursday, Emirates flights out of JFK to Dubai. Our halal meat goes on that plane every Thursday night. Very often, our guys at JFK report the plane is less than 1/2 full and they are selling walkup tickets for the unheard of price of $350-450. This plane does not get a lot of local traffic because it lands on Friday, which is the Muslim Holy Day. So local Middle Easterners either book on the Wednesday flight to get home or stay in the USA until the Friday night flight (which is packed).

Wow, very interesting, I would never have guessed. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to remember to leave for Dubai on a Thursday next time I go ;)

Edited by Zach1213

Wow, very interesting, I would never have guessed. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to remember to leave for Dubai on a Thursday next time I go ;)

That Thursday Emirates flight is stuffed FULL of freight. And most of it is fresh, perishable product. Because it lands on Friday and a lot of Muslim countries have Friday Night Market, it works well to get fresh product. After the religious requirements that occur on Friday, families very often go the the markets, so fresh product is needed. Most of our meat goes to high dollar restaurants in Dubai but there is one distributor who is selling it at the Friday Market. His orders have been increasing, so it must be a viable market. At $46-54 per pound for Prime US halal meat in Dubai, it is not a market for everyone. But he must be finding buyers. Yesterday, he took three full pallets (about 5400# of meat). That is a lot of beef to sell at that price.

SOMETIMES you can get a bargain flight online with Emirates on Thursdays. But the really cheap tickets are offered at the airport so you take your chances. Just an FYI.

That Thursday Emirates flight is stuffed FULL of freight. And most of it is fresh, perishable product. Because it lands on Friday and a lot of Muslim countries have Friday Night Market, it works well to get fresh product. After the religious requirements that occur on Friday, families very often go the the markets, so fresh product is needed. Most of our meat goes to high dollar restaurants in Dubai but there is one distributor who is selling it at the Friday Market. His orders have been increasing, so it must be a viable market. At $46-54 per pound for Prime US halal meat in Dubai, it is not a market for everyone. But he must be finding buyers. Yesterday, he took three full pallets (about 5400# of meat). That is a lot of beef to sell at that price.

SOMETIMES you can get a bargain flight online with Emirates on Thursdays. But the really cheap tickets are offered at the airport so you take your chances. Just an FYI.

I'm more interested in the half-full cabin aspect :)

Guess you didn't see a recent story about a carrier (can't remember which one) that only had a couple of people booked...that plane flew regardless ;)

BTW: Even though you have nothing to worry about especially this far in advance....I see nothing wrong with your general question...as many have probably wondered this too.

You will be fine there was a story on the news a while back, were I remember it only being two people plus 3 flight attendants . Probably would be a fun flight

Update

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/13/travel/man-alone-delta-flight-feat/

Thanks to all of you that answered my question graciously without being condescending:) I only noticed the seating chart because I got an itinerary change notification from Delta and logged on to see what it was. Other wise I would not have been on the website counting seats. :rolleyes:

To you others- who feel they need to belittle posters-you are the reason why people discuss on other threads their fear to post here and hesitate to post on this forum. You know nothing about me-my educational level, accomplishments, capabilities, disposition or if I am a worrier or not. No one should have to feel afraid to ask a question on a forum that is geared toward gaining information. Perhaps if peoples questions bother you so much you should just take the high road and not respond at all. And since the answer is most probably not helpful anyway it is a win-win!

Happy to know how much each plane costs. And how great it would be if it did not fill up!

Thanks to all of you that answered my question graciously without being condescending:) I only noticed the seating chart because I got an itinerary change notification from Delta and logged on to see what it was. Other wise I would not have been on the website counting seats. :rolleyes:

To you others- who feel they need to belittle posters-you are the reason why people discuss on other threads their fear to post here and hesitate to post on this forum. You know nothing about me-my educational level, accomplishments, capabilities, disposition or if I am a worrier or not. No one should have to feel afraid to ask a question on a forum that is geared toward gaining information. Perhaps if peoples questions bother you so much you should just take the high road and not respond at all. And since the answer is most probably not helpful anyway it is a win-win!

Happy to know how much each plane costs. And how great it would be if it did not fill up!

You are very welcome !!

I fly DL often so do check their website as they are known for several changes to their flights especially when you book them early that can and usually do affect your seating options.

Enjoy your flight :)

You're very welcome.

You called Delta. They gave you the correct answer. You called them liars.

At the end , you asked for any comments.

I felt we needed to answer the question in such a way as to convince you that the Delta rep wasn't just BSing you.

It worked, you are welcome

Hmmm....interesting thought for a "road trip". Is there a similar situation on the return, or are you stuck with regular pricing?

Grow some thicker skin. :rolleyes: It's a message board, many different people on here. Some a bit sarcastic by nature (raises hand), and some live in a world of sunshine and rainbows. If you come on and ask a question YOU need to be prepared for answers form all kinds of folks.

Edited by TruckerDave

I was once on a flight from Boston to Vegas that only had a handful of people on it. It was awesome. I got to lay down across the seats and sleep. The flight attendants even gave me pillows and blankets to make myself more comfy (it was a late night flight). Definitely my favorite flight to-date. [emoji4]

Hmmm....interesting thought for a "road trip". Is there a similar situation on the return, or are you stuck with regular pricing?

I doubt it and have no one to ask. As you well know, other than Emirates' specials, they are not cheap. And with all the "local money" (meaning the government subsidy paid to Emerati citizens), most can afford the high dollar flights. I don't know how much the Emirates pay to their citizens yearly but Kuwait gives their citizens about $60,000 per person per year. Plus a free piece of land for a home plus subsidies on building that home. I would guess the Emirates participate similarly. I know Saudi does (SIL was married to a Saudi sheik for a lot of years-stayed till her kid was out of HS and came to the USA for college, then left Saudi permanently) as does Qatar.

In addition, there is little product or any kind of freight coming out of Dubai so freight isn't going to pay for the flight TO the US.

Sorry-good thought for a road trip but iffy.

• 1 month later...
What prompted this unnecessary worry? STOP worrying about this and get ready for your trip. Why would you think the info is no accurate? The plane needs to return to Rome for its next flight. The are NOT going to let it sit in Miami because it might only be half booked. Of course it is only May, and your flight is five months away, so there is a pretty good chance your will be on a full flight.

I sometimes think folks on here just look for things to worry about.

If it helps any I had First Class all to myself with extra food and booze to boot.

The problem with a cheap flight to Dubai is that you end up in Dubai!
But think just how much worse it is when you buy an expensive ticket to Dubai - you still end up in Dubai, only poorer!

I'm still a bit sore at once being pressured into buying a full economy one-way Sydney-Dubai-London. Everyone else was concerned that if I flew my original itinerary (Sydney-Singapore-London-Dubai-London) I'd get stuck in snowmageddon the first time through London and miss Christmas in Dubai. Of course, as things turned out, I wouldn't have - and I gave up a stonkingly good value business class ticket to fly that replacement.