Identifying 'first time cruisers'

Ginb56

Yes, we fall into that newbie category - and only two weeks to wait now! So excited! Lying in bed last night, it occurred to me how handy it would be to have some sort of ID for newbies on embarkation day, that would just signify that we might need a bit of handholding, pointing in the right direction, made to feel welcome etc etc. Plus it could be an introductory 'ice breaker' for you experienced cruisers to say hello and share some words of wisdom, ditto for staff. Just a discreet fabric sticker, a smiley badge, a particular coloured lanyard for cruise card or whatever - am sure there are plenty of suggestions out there! It mightn't suit everyone of course, but could be an optional offer - and even become a standard thing (am guessing P&O read these threads too). But then again, maybe it already happens and we just didn't know...

Any opinions, folks? :)

Im not sure I would have wanted to be identified as a new cruiser on our first cruise but I could imagine some would like the idea. On Britannia in March there were 1200 new cruises so that would have been a lot of people needing handholding or pointing in the right direction. Staff will always help anyone if asked.

Have you been on your roll call as there may be a gathering taking place which is a great way to meet others and share ideas?

Be prepared to have your idea of holidays changed forever after your first cruise.....you will get hooked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im not sure I would have wanted to be identified as a new cruiser on our first cruise but I could imagine some would like the idea. On Britannia in March there were 1200 new cruises so that would have been a lot of people needing handholding or pointing in the right direction. Staff will always help anyone if asked.

Have you been on your roll call as there may be a gathering taking place which is a great way to meet others and share ideas?

Be prepared to have your idea of holidays changed forever after your first cruise.....you will get hooked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On Princess Cruises it easy to spot the virgin cruisers, they have a blue cruise card. Many Princess cruisers have their cruise card on lanyards around their necks.

I have noted on P&O UK few cruisers wear their cruise cards around their necks, we do, part of the cruise 'uniform.'

But sure P&O UK should follow Princess and have the colours, blue, gold, ruby, platinum and Black (Elite.)

Edited by NSWP

IIRC, Ginb56, you often get asked at check-in whether it's your first cruise and if you say "yes" the lovely staff will then proceed to say "Well you make your way through security and then when you get on board you can make your way to the buffet for lunch and they will announce when the cabins are ready." That gets you started. You are given a pocket map to help you find your way around. You only have hand luggage with you so don't have to worry about dragging cases around. When the cabins are available we usually drop off our hand luggage and go to explore the ship if it is new to us (which most are!). There will be a notice in your cabin about when the muster (for safety info.) is. All the staff are welcoming, friendly and helpful and will point you in the right direction. Info. about all the activities and entertainments are in the Horizon newsletter, which will also be in your cabin. I think I'm right in saying P&O don't issue lanyards as standard (we've never been given them, maybe it depends what "tier" you are); I think you have to obtain (purchase?) them from the customer services desk, except for children who seem to be given them. Don't worry, it's a great new adventure and you will have a whale of a time. Have a lovely, lovely cruise.

Yes, we fall into that newbie category - and only two weeks to wait now! So excited! Lying in bed last night, it occurred to me how handy it would be to have some sort of ID for newbies on embarkation day, that would just signify that we might need a bit of handholding, pointing in the right direction, made to feel welcome etc etc. Plus it could be an introductory 'ice breaker' for you experienced cruisers to say hello and share some words of wisdom, ditto for staff. Just a discreet fabric sticker, a smiley badge, a particular coloured lanyard for cruise card or whatever - am sure there are plenty of suggestions out there! It mightn't suit everyone of course, but could be an optional offer - and even become a standard thing (am guessing P&O read these threads too). But then again, maybe it already happens and we just didn't know...

Any opinions, folks? :)

I don't want to sound negative but you really don't want to stand out as a "newbie". You would be "cannon fodder" for the people who just love to tell you how many cruises they have been on. Just have a look at how many post on here and have to tell you their cruising history. :)

You'll soon figure out what to do although finding your way around may take more than a few days. We have always found the staff extremely friendly and helpful and the whole experience is wonderful. I'm sure you'll become addicted. Have a great cruise.

The wide-eyed, jaw-dropped look on first boarding the ship is usually a dead giveaway!

Nope that won't work I still get that look and I'm elite with one. Not sure what I am with the others, I only know when I've book what my current level is.

Edited by GUT2407

Wonderful replies, as ever! Thanks everso for the tips etc. I was just being devil's advocate really suggesting some sort of ID for newbies, but that's interesting that other cruise companies use colour coded cruise cards. Looking forward to exploring Azura - and yes, we'll doubtless be the awestruck open mouthed ones wandering around! Look forward to meeting those of you off to Norway soon on 13th.

Unfortunately on P&O, if you want a badge that says "I'm a new cruiser, show me how" you have to make it yourself. Presumably it's because not everyone would want to wear it.

Being P&O, your cabin will be ready as soon as you board, and your steward should be looking out for you. tell him (or her) that you haven't cruised before, and he will be helpful.

As for anything else, just ask at the purser's desk (reception) or ask fellow passengers. As long as you don't freeze onto them for 10 minutes, no-one will mind. (Some will be happy to talk to you for hours.)

There will be lots of people on board who are 'newbies'. Just go with the flow. We've done several cruises but I will find myself walking up and down the long corridors unable to find my way back to the cabin;)

Yets, we fall into that newbie category - and only two weeks to wait now! So excited! Lying in bed last night, it occurred to me how handy it would be to have some sort of ID for newbies on embarkation day, )

I would suggest L plates.

David.

I love 1st time Crusiers, as someone else said you will find some past cruisers who's 1st question will be,

Have you sailed on this ship before, its just P&O one-upmanship. I tend to not mention if I have cruised before.

Advise, check your table with the Restaurant manager make sure its ok you can always move, there tends to be a few arguments from people who have not go the table they want etc.

If you are freedom dinning don't worry.

Another good tip while many go to the Buffett to eat go and find a bar lower down always one open to escape the numbers of passengers at the Buffet.

Also have a walk around the ship while you wait, sometimes its fun to explore when you 1st get on.

If you sail on Venture there is a front Balcony open to passenger's hidden I forget which deck but its nice to stand on the front, not that hard to find but worth using when you sail in and out of ports.

That lead on to my last bit of advise, get up early for good ports to watch the ship said into port. I still love coming into Lisbon, Port Said was always fun.

And Gib, some hate it I love it.

Have fun!!!

I don't want to sound negative but you really don't want to stand out as a "newbie". You would be "cannon fodder" for the people who just love to tell you how many cruises they have been on. Just have a look at how many post on here and have to tell you their cruising history. :)

You'll soon figure out what to do although finding your way around may take more than a few days. We have always found the staff extremely friendly and helpful and the whole experience is wonderful. I'm sure you'll become addicted. Have a great cruise.

That's strange I find it is the opposite, I dread being asked how many, yet it happens on numerous occasions and particularly when dining.

They might have been new cruisers!

The couple who mentioned they did not use the Glasshouse on Ventura because you had to pay to get in :confused:

The couple on Thomson Destiny who did not use the sky bar because they did not want to climb the ladder up the funnel :confused: The ladder was the fire escape and the bar actually had its own lift and stairs plus toilets :)

Or maybe they were just experienced cruisers who just did not read the ships daily bulletin etc

Or the lady who when asked were her cruise went to said, 'don't know, it was some islands'. The aswer to the question 'what ship was it' was ' don't know, it was big and white' ;)

sorry about going off topic, of course the way you tell a new cruiser is they attend muster drill when told to and don't get there 15 minutes early like the rest of us to grab the seats at the back.

I would just be honest - if you don't know what's going on or are confused about anything, ask someone (crew or fellow passengers). Yes, you might get some old f**t who wants to impress you with how much they know or how many they've done, but most fellow-passengers will be very helpful. And the crew will always be helpful.

Really, if there's anything you don't understand, ask; and keep asking until you've got an answer you understand. (Which might not be the answer you want, but that's another issue....)