The future fleet/mid-size ships

Monorail Orange

My husband and I would, like most here, prefer to have P&O build a middle-size ship rather than another large one.

My husband's favourite ship is now Britannia; mine is Arcadia - mainly because it's adult only.

We have travelled on very small (5,000 ton) yachts and very large (150,000 ton) ships and we love both, for different reasons.

We would love Adonia to come back and, as far as we know, she is due to do so at some point. If everyone who loves her keeps pushing at P&O to bring her back they will either have to do so, or build a smaller one. They would be fools to ignore the large contingency of cruise passengers who prefer travelling on smaller vessels.

Cruise ships have always got larger and larger, this is not a recent trend. Some cruise lines I believe are now thinking the popularity level has been reached and whilst looking at future big ships they have come to the conclusion mid sized ships are easier to market. Some ships are not going to be suitable for world cruises, so fleet deployment in the winter could be an issue.

Regards John

That's a good point. with a fourth Oasis class building plus Britannia, Royal Princess and the Quantum class ships about you soon won't be able to move in the Caribbean in the winter!

Yes they do as it happens but being P&O there are always those who find some problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is possible not to like something without having problems.

We had a perfectly good cruise on Britannia but wont be going back unless it is for an itinerary that we can't get elsewhere. We like big ships and have booked on Azura for the next 2 winters, we didn't even consider going back on Britannia.

We didn't have any problems but felt the ship lacked much of what we like in a ship.

For the record we loved the Bar at the rear of the ship and I thought the Beer selection in the pub was fantastic.

That's a good point. with a fourth Oasis class building plus Britannia, Royal Princess and the Quantum class ships about you soon won't be able to move in the Caribbean in the winter!

Shh idid hear rumours R.C.I might home base the next Oasis class ship in Southampton in 2018 also talking of extending city cruise terminal 101 berth, PS Britannia had to use 101 berth saturday due to high wind,s caused chaos two third,s had to be coached to Ocean terminal to pick up there car,s

Independence of the Seas was based in Southampton for a couple of winters, but I don't think they sold very well. We had a 18 night cruise to the Med, in January 2011, Owners Suite, for the bargain price of £5130, $650 OBC and free drinks in the early evenings. Our best value cruise ever!

I even got to play Concierge one evening when he had go out of the lounge for 20 minutes. Never got paid!

We tried Azura and that was enough to convince us we liked smaller ships. Just hated it and she was fairly new at the time.

We have two booked on Oriana, but after that might try Voyages of Discovery. Really small ships. Don't need climbing walls, and hundreds of bars. One will do nicely!

Seems to me that (in the unscientific poll of these replies) there's still some love for the mid-size ships.

But like with most things these days, we'll just be left behind as they chase the big-ship market.

I guess this is how those who like the smaller ships, such as Adonia and the old Artemis feel. There's nothing like their size really (generalisation) in the fleet.

Edited by Monorail Orange

Shh idid hear rumours R.C.I might home base the next Oasis class ship in Southampton in 2018 also talking of extending city cruise terminal 101 berth, PS Britannia had to use 101 berth saturday due to high wind,s caused chaos two third,s had to be coached to Ocean terminal to pick up there car,s

But even if they did it wouldn't be in winter! My big problem with RCI is their boring repeat itineraries.

Reviews on here are of little value as people can post any old rubbish with no come back.

That's a bit of a harsh exaggeration Dai, I generally find that the majority of people who bother to write a review do try to give their honest opinion, just because you disagree with it does not not reduce its validity.

That's a bit of a harsh exaggeration Dai, I generally find that the majority of people who bother to write a review do try to give their honest opinion, just because you disagree with it does not not reduce its validity.

I am not just talking about P&O though John.

I am not just talking about P&O though John.

My comment was not P&O specific, I think the majority of reviews on CC represent the views of the author and you need to take this into account when deciding how their situation might have influenced their review.

My comment was not P&O specific, I think the majority of reviews on CC represent the views of the author and you need to take this into account when deciding how their situation might have influenced their review.

And I stick to my comment.

Shh idid hear rumours R.C.I might home base the next Oasis class ship in Southampton in 2018 also talking of extending city cruise terminal 101 berth, s

The 101 terminal has been ear marked for change for years. Its currently not happening in the near future. There are also no plans to bring the Oasis class ships to Southampton (source friend who works in ABP).

Reviews on here are of little value as people can post any old rubbish with no come back.

Very true, and most are regurgitated from other reviews.

However, the ratings people give with their review is relevant since then you can compare the ratings across ships and cruise lines. If there are hundreds of reviews per ship then knowing the average of each ships rating is useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year on a Behind the Scenes Tour I asked the Captain if the future was large ships and he said a definite 'yes'. Having said that, large ships can't go into Venice hence the fact that lovely Oceana can go instead and the Solstice ships for Celebrity can't go now either.

Personally, I would hate it if they just have large ships. On our cruise all of the crew we talked to were very happy on Oceana and preferred her to Britannia. Interesting....

Small is beautiful ........... and it is interesting that the likes of Regent, Oceania and Viking have smaller, but stunning ships. Big doesn't mean better ....