Solar Eclipse Today!

*Miss G*

My earlier post about 78% was incorrect. It's actually over 87%. Does anyone know how much you're supposed to tip the squirrels with the human faces? I know that the talking dogs get a flat 15% and that they pool their tips.

98.8% in Vancouver WA. All done (at 10:30 AM PDT) and starting to lighten up outside. Never completely dark here but definitely needed the lights on inside the house. Be sure and look at the shadows of trees on concrete or a light colored fence. The leaves act like pinhole cameras and you can see the crescent shape of the sun.

I am in Vancouver WA also! Definitely felt the temperature drop. It was so much darker in my house when I came back inside also. I got some really interesting pictures of the crescent shapes thru the leaves. Definitely was a great experience. Now want to see a total one!! :D But I am sure glad I don't have to drive on I-5 or I 205 today.

North of Seattle here. I'm teaching Summer School and we had 18 kids grades 1-6 out on our back playground with their glasses on doing observations and being scientists. We had about 92% covered and it was very cool. We didn't notice the darkening but did notice that it got cooler. The kids noticed that our outside lights came on and the trees' shadows changed. We started at 9:00 and finished at 11:20 and it was very cool to see the changes.

Karen

From New Bedford MA--Grande Caribe. No ship official viewing but CD posted the times on the bulletin board.

We had a shuttle from the pier taking people more or less where they wanted to go. I went out after lunch and asked about ice cream. A couple got on after me with word that the National Park visitor center was giving out viewing glasses.

Driver took me to ice cream stand and asked if I wanted to wait. Said no, go ahead but then I walked over to the visitor center. The line was 2 blocks long and seemed to be moving very slowly and I passed.

I tried the pinhole trick and from here the eclipse was officially 72%.. Looked a bit like a moon at about 1/4.

My shipmates from the shuttle came back and reported they were next to last to get glasses. I took a look through their glasses and the view was neat but pretty much what I saw with the pinhole. Nice but not all that spectacular here.

Roy

We had 91% at 10:13. Definitely got cooler, and kind of eerie, but not too much difference in the light. The hummingbirds ignored the whole thing! DH did the reverse binocular thing, and we got a few photos of the crescent sun. :)

We were 73% here in Houston. Dodged clouds and rain, but even a partial was quite a sight. Had a pair of eclipse glasses and had around thirty people borrow them to look. Most were too young to have been around for the one in 1979. 😊

Wow! Thanks for posting everyone! It was fascinating to get everyone's perspective from across North America. Thank you! Here outside of DC, it just got a little dusky. At 82% I thought it would get a little darker. Looking forward to looking at pics now. :)

We drove to Greenville, S.C., 100% viewing and no clouds:))) so cool!

I took my Niece and Nephew to the Greenville Drive baseball game today. They stopped the game and allowed us on to the field for the 100 percent totality. What an experience and the Drive won 8-7 in a great game at " Lil Fenway".

Little late posting this but we drove an hour north to Corvallis OR with clear skies and got 100% totality. Completely dark with stars coming out. Got a number of corona shots on our camera and viewed the eclipse, at totality, with the naked eye. The corona was amazing and spectacular. We have seen a number of eclipses in our life time but not a totality eclipse. Pretty cool!!!!

It was fun to see everyone outside with their glasses and cameras. It was like a celebration. It reminded me of when we first moved to Florida and everyone would gather outside with their lawn chairs and beverages to watch the space shuttle launches. I watched the birds to see if their habits changed, but everything remained status quo!