New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

to this thread by a very nice person on the general HAL board...while I have cruised on HAL in the past...I have not been on HAL for several years...last time I think was a T/P from LA to Sydney in '13?...anyway...it's been awhile...so just trying to catch up!! We are "3 Star" Mariners...and we do cruise alot...just not on HAL lately...so trying to "catch up"!! What's new...different..than several years ago...I think the "bring as much wine as you want on board" has changed? Yes? If so...how? We are booked for the holidays in '16...and just want to "catch up" on what is new/different! Thanks so much!! LuAnn

yes the wine is 1 - 750ml bottle per person and an 18 dollar corkage fee -I recall- for more. I've never cruised on HAL before so I'm new but have been reading/researching for a March 2016 21 Day Panama Canal cruise. I copied the information below from another post as there is or has been much talk on the subject over the past few months I have been reading with interest. Hope this helps...

Here are the drinks packages that HAL offers:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com...-Stateroom.pdf

Here is the Bar Menu from May 2015 but it has been reported that prices are a bit higher for each drink:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com.../Bar-Menu1.pdf

Randy

Edited by GoneJohnson

to this thread by a very nice person on the general HAL board...while I have cruised on HAL in the past...I have not been on HAL for several years...last time I think was a T/P from LA to Sydney in '13?...anyway...it's been awhile...so just trying to catch up!! We are "3 Star" Mariners...and we do cruise alot...just not on HAL lately...so trying to "catch up"!! What's new...different..than several years ago...I think the "bring as much wine as you want on board" has changed? Yes? If so...how? We are booked for the holidays in '16...and just want to "catch up" on what is new/different! Thanks so much!! LuAnn

Each passenger over the age of 21 can bring on one 750 ml bottle of wine, free from corkage fee. You can bring more but you will pay $18/per bottle corkage for each additional bottle.

Officers no longer attend the Meet and Greets.

Mariners' Embarkation lunch is no longer - if the MDR is open, anyone can eat lunch there, not just mariners.

There is a Mariner's reception on embarkation day, instead. Not sure where, this is a fairly new thing. I think the Crows Nest, but others can confirm.

Can't think of anything else right now but others can chime in.

Welcome back!:)

Edited to add..... No more Formal Nights. There are Gala nights instead, and the dress code has been relaxed. This is new.

Edited by Lizzie68

Hi

two questions regarding our first trip with HAL

1. We set sail in 6 days but are still waiting for a cabin to be allocated. We have never had this level of brinkmanship on any of the other cruise lines we have been on. Is this normal with HAL?

2. Formal nights seem to have been replaced with Gala nights. What is the difference? I was always taught that formal is white tie and medals, Black Tie is Black Bow Tie, black cummerband and Dinner Jacket (Tuxedo), "DJ" is Dinner jacket with coloured bow ties and/or coloured cummerbands. For Formal and Black Tie the ladies wear long whereas for "DJ" the ladies can wear long or short. What is Gala?

PS White Dinner Jackets are only worn if you arrive or leave in an Aston Martin DB5, gamble at least 2 million, carry a Walther PPK, complete a car chase lasting at least 8 minutes and sleep with a Russian Spy.:cool:

Seriously what should the male and female dress code for Gala be, there is no reference to the dress code in Debrett's?

Confused of Cadleigh!:confused:

Sent on my Iphone using technology I don't fully understand

Hi

1. We set sail in 6 days but are still waiting for a cabin to be allocated. We have never had this level of brinkmanship on any of the other cruise lines we have been on. Is this normal with HAL?

2. Formal nights seem to have been replaced with Gala nights. What is the difference? I was always taught that formal is white tie and medals, Black Tie is Black Bow Tie, black cummerband and Dinner Jacket (Tuxedo), "DJ" is Dinner jacket with coloured bow ties and/or coloured cummerbands. For Formal and Black Tie the ladies wear long whereas for "DJ" the ladies can wear long or short. What is Gala?

PS White Dinner Jackets are only worn if you arrive or leave in an Aston Martin DB5, gamble at least 2 million, carry a Walther PPK, complete a car chase lasting at least 8 minutes and sleep with a Russian Spy.:cool:

Seriously what should the male and female dress code for Gala be, there is no reference to the dress code in Debrett's?

1. Some guarantee staterooms have been known to be assigned at the terminal when you check in. Those are usually upgrades, too

2. Gala attire for men is now collared shirt but most wear a sports jacket. Female attire should probably be commensurate with their partner's. There will be tuxedos and evening gowns if the diners so choose and my estimate is less than 10% of the latter will be so dressed.

Edited by Crew News

Hi

I am on my phone and cannot see your location - perhaps the UK or Europe. Throw out everything you grew up learning about the difference between formal and Gala. Under HAL'S new rules Gala means dinner as usual and a relaxed dress code. Yes I know - that is so wrong and a contradiction in terms but it is what it is.

I am on my phone and cannot see your location - perhaps the UK or Europe. Throw out everything you grew up learning about the difference between formal and Gala. Under HAL'S new rules Gala means dinner as usual and a relaxed dress code. Yes I know - that is so wrong and a contradiction in terms but it is what it is.

hi Lizzie and Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, that will affect the packing, I think the DJ will stay behind on this trip.

Regarding location, we are in a small hamlet, at the southern edge of the Dartmoor National Park in south west England, 10 miles east of Plymouth (from where the Pilgrim Fathers set sail to invent America 399 years ago).

We run a small B & B at Cadleigh Manor.

Once again thanks for the answers.

Each passenger over the age of 21 can bring on one 750 ml bottle of wine, free from corkage fee. You can bring more but you will pay $18/per bottle corkage for each additional bottle.

Officers no longer attend the Meet and Greets.

Mariners' Embarkation lunch is no longer - if the MDR is open, anyone can eat lunch there, not just mariners.

There is a Mariner's reception on embarkation day, instead. Not sure where, this is a fairly new thing. I think the Crows Nest, but others can confirm.

Can't think of anything else right now but others can chime in.

Welcome back!:)

Edited to add..... No more Formal Nights. There are Gala nights instead, and the dress code has been relaxed. This is new.

Well...some changes...for sure!! Too bad about the M&G...does HAL still set it up?...or do we do our own thing on the R/C? Oh...and "Gala" nights...sports coat for the guys required? Oh...and more thing..please...can't remember about laundry...any self service? Thanks again to you and all who have "chimed in"!! LuAnn

hi Lizzie and Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, that will affect the packing, I think the DJ will stay behind on this trip.

Regarding location, we are in a small hamlet, at the southern edge of the Dartmoor National Park in south west England, 10 miles east of Plymouth (from where the Pilgrim Fathers set sail to invent America 399 years ago).

We run a small B & B at Cadleigh Manor.

Once again thanks for the answers.

I thought so - a fellow Brit. (I`m an expat) and so you fully understand what Formal and Gala really means.;) But that`s not HAL`s interpretation or that of many members here on CC. However, you will enjoy your cruise, I have no doubt. I will be in your area next June. Lovely countryside.

Well...some changes...for sure!! Too bad about the M&G...does HAL still set it up?...or do we do our own thing on the R/C? Oh...and "Gala" nights...sports coat for the guys required? Oh...and more thing..please...can't remember about laundry...any self service? Thanks again to you and all who have "chimed in"!! LuAnn

As far as I know (the rule of no officers came in after my cruise earlier this year) HAL still sets up the M&G and provides refreshments.

Dress code also changed since my last cruise, but I gather even a sports jacket is not necessary. Just don`t wear shorts and t-shirt.:(

Laundry depends on the ship. Some have a self-serve laundry, the Vista ships do not but the stuff-a-bag for $20 is a good deal and you can get a heck of a lot in it. Or you can purchase a laundry package for your whole cruise.

I thought so - a fellow Brit. (I`m an expat) and so you fully understand what Formal and Gala really means.;) But that`s not HAL`s interpretation or that of many members here on CC. However, you will enjoy your cruise, I have no doubt. I will be in your area next June. Lovely countryside.

You should be aware that in the English speaking world (England, Scotland, Wales, Channel Islands, Ireland, Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, et al.) words can and do often have different meanings within that area. Doesn't make any of them right or wrong, merely appropriate for that part of the world.

Master the differences, and the nuances, and well - Bob's your uncle.

Hey folks. I am sure it is on here somewhere but CC is such a huge website to scour through. I am setting sail on the Westerdam in about a month and I normally plan down to the T for my cruises but I have slowed down on this cruise. I have normally always cruised on CCL so this is my first venture in to HAL. I have about 3 questions and am just looking for answers or references for some help.

1. Can I/Whats the limit for bringing on beverages to the ship?

2. Is it the same limit for Wine that CCL has?

3 I have an interior room, will we be able to get in tot he room quickly or have to wait like on CCL?

4. What late night eatery options are there? ( I read that the general crowd will be older)?

5. How crowded does the pool get/is there a adults only section?

Hey folks. I am sure it is on here somewhere but CC is such a huge website to scour through. I am setting sail on the Westerdam in about a month and I normally plan down to the T for my cruises but I have slowed down on this cruise. I have normally always cruised on CCL so this is my first venture in to HAL. I have about 3 questions and am just looking for answers or references for some help.

1. Can I/Whats the limit for bringing on beverages to the ship?

You can bring as much soda and water as you like. You must carry it on when boarding. It cannot go with your checked luggage.

2. Is it the same limit for Wine that CCL has?

Each person (21 or older) is allowed to bring 1 bottle (750ml) of wine on boarding without paying any corkage. You can bring more, but will be charged for corkage (don't know if it's still $18). These must also be carried on when boarding.

3 I have an interior room, will we be able to get in tot he room quickly or have to wait like on CCL?

All cabins are ready at the same time, usually ready when you board.

4. What late night eatery options are there? ( I read that the general crowd will be older)?

Not a lot available on a continuous basis, but there is a late snack in the Lido around 11:00-12:00. And a full room service menu.

5. How crowded does the pool get/is there a adults only section?

The aft pool is supposed to be adults only. That sometimes doesn't get fully enforced.

Also, all staterooms can order room service from the diningroom menu with no surcharge.

Yes it is, with pretty much the same food as in the MDR, plus lots of other choices. Excellent salad bar, too. There are different stations, depending on what your preference is.

so how do u carry things without a tray??

is that so people dont eat as much?

so how do u carry things without a tray??

You make lots of trips back & forth while you complete your hunting & gathering. :rolleyes:

It's a pain.

You have to think less about the order in which you will eat, and more in order of what is neutral temperature, then cold things, then hot. Go back for dessert later.

Can you take soda in bottles in carry on on board?

What are security checks like in FtL? Any rum runners?

You can bring soda in either bottles or cans---your choice. You can also bring more aboard at any of the ports, so there's no need to overburden yourself.

Rum runners would be to smuggle alcohol aboard. That's not allowed.

You can purchase a bottle at a decent price either in advance, or once on board.

You can bring soda in either bottles or cans---your choice. You can also bring more aboard at any of the ports, so there's no need to overburden yourself.

Rum runners would be to smuggle alcohol aboard. That's not allowed.

You can purchase a bottle at a decent price either in advance, or once on board.

Thanks, I ordered a bottle through Indulgences. Much better priced than Carnival where they want $85 for a $15 bottle of alcohol!

We are on an upcoming HAL cruise and i had a quick question. I understand I can bring sodas on the ship with us. We have an interior room and I wondered if their is a mini fridge in the room?

Yes you can bring soda onto the ship. If I recall correctly from our "Insides expert" RuthC who has previously posted info on this, it would depend on the ship whether you have a mini-fridge or not. I believe it is the S & R class ships that do not, the others do.

We are on an upcoming HAL cruise and i had a quick question. I understand I can bring sodas on the ship with us. We have an interior room and I wondered if their is a mini fridge in the room?

That depends on which ship you'll be sailing on. Since you didn't specify which one, I'll give you the entire run-down:

On the 6 S- and R-class ships (Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, and Amsterdam0, there are no fridges in the inside or outside cabins. You can rent one for $2.00 per day; this should be arranged in advance.

The cabins with a veranda have a fridge.

On the Prinsendam, and the 6 Vista and Signature ships (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam), every cabin has a fridge.

(sorry, Lizzie. we were typing at the same time.)

Edited by RuthC