Power Strips, Surge Protectors, Charging Hubs

m8zenblue

I have read in several different threads about power strips, surge protectors, extension cords and charging hubs.

So, if there is anybody with first hand experience please enlighten me.

Yes, I have read the Celebrity policy, it says nothing about charging hubs or 3 way outlet adapters.

Thank you !

This is the unit I use:

41+0zSeqezL._AA436_QL65_.jpg

It comes in two versions, the original without surge protection and a newer version with. For use aboard, the former is the one to buy. I've had no issue brining it on HAL, Celebrity and RCI. Available from Amazon.

If you want to use a charging hub, look for one that has a two prong plug, as this is not surge protected. Most multiple USB chargers are this type, but the problem comes when you combine USB ports with power outlets. Most of these combination units are surge protected, but there are a few out there, like fouremco says, the older powercube models, for instance, that are not.

OK, here's first hand experience. We had the surge protector and anything with more than one outlet availability to it, confiscated when we were on Summit in February 2017. They were in our luggage left with the porter. We were able to reclaim it before exiting the ship on the last day. There were lots of people in line to get their electrical outlet cords back. They are SERIOUS about their new policy. Don't show pictures of what you were able to bring on board last time. Trust me, they will take it from you.

I have taken a 4 gang strip like this on every boat trip and never had an issue. [ATTACH]405479[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't say whether this is surge protected or not, but lots of UK stuff isn't. What i will say, is that UK/European power strips tend to be safer onboard ships than US ones. This is because the on/off switch slash circuit breaker will open both legs of the power circuit, not just the hot one like US. Also, the UK plugs usually have a fuse in them as well, for added protection.

I will be more clear. Any power cord with more than one plug opportunity (multi-plug-in cords) will get taken. They will allow a single extension cord which I think is stupid since they are more dangerous in my mind than a surge protector/multi-plug-in cord. As I said before, they are very serious about this rule. There were MANY people in line to get their cords back at the end of the cruise.

I will be more clear. Any power cord with more than one plug opportunity (multi-plug-in cords) will get taken. They will allow a single extension cord which I think is stupid since they are more dangerous in my mind than a surge protector/multi-plug-in cord. As I said before, they are very serious about this rule. There were MANY people in line to get their cords back at the end of the cruise.

A single extension cord is no more dangerous than a multi-plug power strip, since the power strip will generally have a circuit breaker in the on/off switch. A surge protector is possibly the most dangerous electrical device to use onboard a ship, only exceeded by the heating appliances like irons and steamers.

This is the unit I use:

41+0zSeqezL._AA436_QL65_.jpg

It comes in two versions, the original without surge protection and a newer version with. For use aboard, the former is the one to buy. I've had no issue brining it on HAL, Celebrity and RCI. Available from Amazon.

Ordered it month's ago just got notice they are out of stock and they cancelled the order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

A single extension cord is no more dangerous than a multi-plug power strip, since the power strip will generally have a circuit breaker in the on/off switch. A surge protector is possibly the most dangerous electrical device to use onboard a ship, only exceeded by the heating appliances like irons and steamers.

Liike I said my opinion, worth about 2 cents or less. Just wanted to let people know they are serious and not bother with packing these items as they will take them out of your luggage and return them at end of cruise. I have never heard of a cruise ship fire due to a multi-plug-in power cord but I guess it could happen. :confused:

The Belkin 3 is surge protected, and should not be used onboard ships.

Yes I have heard that before.:eek: I only charge items when I'm in the suite. So it is unplugged when I leave. I did buy a cube once. As advised on CC. The USB slots did not work. So I threw it out.:mad: It is not that I'm hiding it from the butler, it is right on the desk. With only the 2 of us and 3 outlets. I'm sure we could get by without the Belkin if need be.

Liike I said my opinion, worth about 2 cents or less. Just wanted to let people know they are serious and not bother with packing these items as they will take them out of your luggage and return them at end of cruise. I have never heard of a cruise ship fire due to a multi-plug-in power cord but I guess it could happen. :confused:

Thanks for the info.....I hadn't heard about Celebrity banning these. Guess I'll leave mine at home.

Here's a picture of the 3 way adapter I've used. Since there's no circuitry, there's no problem. I've used it on four Celebrity cruises.

IMG_1692_zpsj3fgq1me.jpg

And here are the power strips confiscated on embarkation waiting to be picked up upon debarkation.

IMG_1945_zpseidr2aln.jpg

We also use the adapter...and use a battery toothbrush to cut down on one elec item to worry abt...need to charge tablet , camera and on last nite our phone

OK, here's first hand experience. We had the surge protector and anything with more than one outlet availability to it, confiscated when we were on Summit in February 2017. They were in our luggage left with the porter. We were able to reclaim it before exiting the ship on the last day. There were lots of people in line to get their electrical outlet cords back. They are SERIOUS about their new policy. Don't show pictures of what you were able to bring on board last time. Trust me, they will take it from you.

The item I posted a photo of I brought aboard only two weeks ago. No issues, but then again, unlike yours that was confiscated, mine has no surge protection.

Without debating the rights or wrongs of the policy, why is an adaptor with surge protection a problem?

I thought they just protected the device plugged into it and if they are safe at home why is it different on a ship?

Without debating the rights or wrongs of the policy, why is an adaptor with surge protection a problem?

I thought they just protected the device plugged into it and if they are safe at home why is it different on a ship?

I won't do this as well as our resident chief engineer, and I'm uncertain of the wiring in the UK, so this problem may be different for you...

A typical US land-based circuit has a hot wire, a neutral wire, and a ground. The surge protector interrupts the hot side when it senses a surge. On the ship, you have two hot wires that each supply 55-60V; there is no neutral and there's a floating ground. So a fault in the ship's system can translate upstream on the neutral side of a surge protector, potentially causing a fire (there are USCG bulletins on this. chengkp75 has posted multiple times that no ship's systems are surge protected; not needed, wouldn't work.

If, as I recall, the UK/European 220V system have two hot wires, then a surge protector for 220 shouldn't have the same problem, but I am not an electrician or an electrical engineer.

The difference is the wiring on the ship.

Edited by markeb