Do we have to pay for the treats in Cafe al Bacio now?

elena7seas

I don't understand why, when confronted with a situation that is outside the norms of experience, people accept it rather than checking with higher authority. It is not rude to question a 'new policy' and ask to see the manager for a fuller explanation, IMO.

I can agree when it was outside my norm, then again, even if a new policy what is there to question? It was not outside my norm, just the first time I ever saw pricing. If there was no menu available, then that is another issue, IMO.

In our case, I did see the menu of pricing for desserts, I did see charges from the Cafe posted to our account. Was I going to challenge my spouse on these, what I consider to be minor charges? Heck no.

If I was not challenged on my port and scotch programs, what can I complain about for Cafe tastings? LOL

bon voyage

Why do posters bring up posts from 3 years (or more)? It makes more sense to start a brand new one. JMO

Yet when people post a new question that has been asked before someone will invariably tell them to do a search. You can't win for losing.

We now do the same. It's great! We went one step further and did a credit security freeze.

I had to do a 7 year fraud alert on my credit reports last year after 1. someone tried to open a checking account, in Miami (I live in Orlando) with my name and social security #; and 2. a couple of months later, someone, this time using an address in Georgia, tried to open a credit card using my name and SS#. As far as fraudulent charges, I get an email every time I make a credit card charge, and text message from my credit union account when a transaction occurs. Kind of the same as what you do, without the hassle of setting up another account to do this for me.

Now, back to charging for treats at Cafe al Bacio....I hope not. I've only cruised Celebrity once, been on Princess 3 times, and we enjoy the occasional cookie or "tasty" from International Cafe, and I'm guess al Bacio is similar. I don't have an issue paying a small fee for a specialty tea or coffee, but would appreciate free pastries. Guess I'll go to the buffet if I want an additional treat during the day.

Okay, this is the FINAL :eek: word on the subject of baked goods and Cafe Al Bachio!!

There IS NO charge :eek: for the baked goods at Cafe Al Bachio. You DO NOT :eek: have to buy a beverage to get a baked good.

The 2015 thread has been fully answered.

Interesting....so the poster who was asked for an ID obviously must not have looked like himself :)

Maybe the server had recently been through training. A trainer may have reinforced to compare the register photo with the purchaser and she misunderstood and thought she should request picture ID if the register was not readily available. :confused:

But is the ice in the drinks made with salt water:evilsmile:

No, the ice cubes are made from desalinated sea water - so the answer could be yes - but with the salt removed.

All the fresh water on Celebrity is desalinated sea water.

Okay, this is the FINAL :eek: word on the subject of baked goods and Cafe Al Bachio!!

There IS NO charge :eek: for the baked goods at Cafe Al Bachio. You DO NOT :eek: have to buy a beverage to get a baked good.

The 2015 thread has been fully answered.

The reason I asked was the poster in Post #77 mentioned today, not in 2015, "I did see the menu of pricing for desserts, I did see charges from the Cafe posted to our account."

Whether the charges were for desserts or alcohol, I've never seen a menu of pricing for desserts -- just specialty coffees/teas/alcohol drinks. :)

Are they now charging at Café al Bacio for their morning pastries and afternoon desserts? That all used to be free. Sometimes we would skip dessert in the MDR and go there for dessert & coffee.

There is NO charge for the pastries at the Cafe. None. Most of the pastries in the case can also be obtained in the buffet or were available at the buffet during the week.

There is NO charge for the pastries at the Cafe. None. Most of the pastries in the case can also be obtained in the buffet or were available at the buffet during the week.

That's true, but I'm more concerned about the pies/cakes that they display in the evenings. The menu for pricing of desserts that is mentioned is more concerning than the croissants or pain au chocolate or blueberry muffins you get in the morning.

I had to do a 7 year fraud alert on my credit reports last year after 1. someone tried to open a checking account, in Miami (I live in Orlando) with my name and social security #; and 2. a couple of months later, someone, this time using an address in Georgia, tried to open a credit card using my name and SS#. As far as fraudulent charges, I get an email every time I make a credit card charge, and text message from my credit union account when a transaction occurs. Kind of the same as what you do, without the hassle of setting up another account to do this for me.

Now, back to charging for treats at Cafe al Bacio....I hope not. I've only cruised Celebrity once, been on Princess 3 times, and we enjoy the occasional cookie or "tasty" from International Cafe, and I'm guess al Bacio is similar. I don't have an issue paying a small fee for a specialty tea or coffee, but would appreciate free pastries. Guess I'll go to the buffet if I want an additional treat during the day.

....... or before going to the buffet, just check in to Cafe al Bacio and ask.. unless you want the exercise beforehand! ;p

bon voyage

That's true, but I'm more concerned about the pies/cakes that they display in the evenings. The menu for pricing of desserts that is mentioned is more concerning than the croissants or pain au chocolate or blueberry muffins you get in the morning.

I have never seen a menu for pricing of desserts at the Cafe. I have ordered slices of cake there and never a charge. The berliners and gooey cinnamon rolls are to die for.