UPGRADE....Worth it?

Bigbluegal

Got the call today to upgrade from a Junior suite to the 2 bedroom Royal Family Balcony Suite...the cost to upgrade was right at 600.00. This is a 7 night cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. For anyone who has stayed in both or familiar....would it be worth it?

Got the call today to upgrade from a Junior suite to the 2 bedroom Royal Family Balcony Suite...the cost to upgrade was right at 600.00. This is a 7 night cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. For anyone who has stayed in both or familiar....would it be worth it?

I'd be tempted just to try it out.

I know you get a "shipload" of additional perks but I also see where this poster's coming from...

How many in your party? How much time will you spend in your cabin?

Personally I would pass. :cool:

It's only the two of us, no point in a two bedroom suite for us, and certainly not for $600 (now if they were dangling a GS or OS for about half that...); but if you're fitting 3 or 4 people into a JS that room gets small, quick, whether you spend a lot of time there or not.

T/A called me about a week before our Indy cruise wanting to know if we'd upgrade from GS to OS for $150. I actually asked "total or each?" as if that was going to make a difference. Good news/bad news part is the OS they upgraded us into had a bit of a bathroom/water issue... which went a long way toward getting us the NEXT cruise ;) .

No way. But I would never pay for a junior suite either, so I'm probably not the best person to take advice from since we don't likely think alike, but I'll offer my reasoning anyway.

I don't see the point in spending money on the room because there are only 2 of us, we're both little and we don't take up much space, and we spend very little time in the room. I would rather spend my money on something else.

In your case, if you were happy with the room you booked, I wouldn't pay another $600 to upgrade, not only because I don't think it's worth it, but because it's a big enough price difference that it will take away from what you were planning to spend on other things. Is a room and the perks worth giving those things up? Or adding $600 to your vacation budget?

It doesn't seem like a "deal" when Royal is just asking you for more money, not really offering you an upgrade. They're just making a sale. If it was $50 or $200, in your case, then I'd say yes, but me... I'd turn it down no matter what the cost. Ok maybe for $50 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

There are 3 of us ....myself and my two sons (23) and (18).

With the 3 of you...absolutely....you'll have the master bedroom with it's own bathroom and the boys will have the 2nd bedroom and their own bathroom...the living area and that large balcony... and the perks...makes this a win...win...win...situation for all of you....Enjoy !!!

The Junior Suite was putting either myself or the boys on the couch to sleep, also thought the extra bathroom might come in handy for getting ready at dinner time as well as a little more privacy. We had purchased the 3 person internet which we would now be able to cancel since the internet would be included (I think) in the RFS.

Edited by Bigbluegal

As well as the advantages already mentioned -

With three of you (assuming you are not diamond level or above) - If some or all of you all like to drink alcohol or non alcoholic drinks in the evenings or like coffee, you could easily save that much just on drinks and coffee.

Plus you may be offered various ship tours (bridge, galley etc) or events with the staff.

Only problem is that once you have experienced the suite life it is hard to go back :)

Edited by lucymorgan

Thanks so much for all of the responses. We currently have the RR beverage package, would the implication be to cancel and get the drinks from the suite lounge during the day. How would that proximity be to the pool area?

Hi I am not an expert because I haven't been on Oasis since they changed the suite package but you could research here http://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass

It depends on your personal needs/wants (we usually bring sparkling water and good wine onboard and just use the lounge in the evenings).

It seems you would get free internet access too.

Others with more experience can no doubt advise!

(Personally I would take the offer)

Edited by lucymorgan

Thanks so much for all of the responses. We currently have the RR beverage package, would the implication be to cancel and get the drinks from the suite lounge during the day. How would that proximity be to the pool area?

You could do that....that's what my wife and I did last year. The Suite Lounge bar tenders are available 11a-11p. The drink list is limited - about 6-7 beers and 6-8 wines. From 5:30-8:30 mixed drinks are also included. The Suite Lounge is 2 decks above the lido deck, so not terribly inconvenient. But if you're in Opal Theater and you want a free drink, you'll have to trek all the way to 17.

You could always cancel the drink packages on board if you find you're not using them. You'll need to drink 4-5 mixed drinks to break even.

Up two decks from the pool (deck 17) and would strictly be sodas and basic espresso based beverages (latte, cappuccino, ect..) in comparison to the RR package.

No blender in the SL.

Edited by chandom

Also note that the gratuities in the new suite would increase from $13.50 per day per person to $16.50 each. With 3 of you that is an extra $9.00 per day, bringing the total to $346.50 for the week.

You may not mind or care, but if you are considering all costs, this would be something to note.

I could share the expense and sleep on your couch!!:o BTW, I am a very nice retired 63 year old lady. Just thought I'd throw that out there (and I'm not kidding either)!!:rolleyes: Enjoy the fabulous Royal Suite and have a wonderful cruise with your boys!!!:cool:

Also note that the gratuities in the new suite would increase from $13.50 per day per person to $16.50 each. With 3 of you that is an extra $9.00 per day, bringing the total to $346.50 for the week.

You may not mind or care, but if you are considering all costs, this would be something to note.

That's true the gratuities do increase but RCI won't add it to your cruise or deduct the difference from your onboard account. It's up to those in the cabin to make up the difference in cash. Whether or not they do so is something else.