Children on River Cruises

DCLCrazy

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has experience bringing a young child (7) on a riverboat cruise. It seems every time I look into one, it's only a cabin for two people. Are there such things as a cabin for three? If so, on which line?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having been on several river cruises I can tell you that the youngest child that I have ever seen was actually a teenager. River cruising does not offer much for children beyond what you do ashore and those excursions usually lean towards visiting museums, castles, etc. which again, may not hold much interest for children. I remember at the end of one river cruise, while I was in the airport waiting for my flight, I met a grandfather and his two grandsons who just completed a 13 day cruise. When I asked him how the two boys enjoyed the cruise, he said that they were "bored." He said that they couldn't wait to get off the boat just to use their phones or gaming devices. This was probably true as the whole time we waited for our flights, these young men had their faces permanently planted in front of their "screens." On another river cruise to Vietnam and Cambodia, their was a couple who brought their adopted daughter who was Vietnamese. She was 15 years old and was a lovely, young woman but I think her interest stemmed from being in a place that was part of her cultural heritage. While I may not have helped you to make a decision, I wanted you to know that most river cruises are not very "kid friendly," unless they have a specific itinerary earmarked for families.

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has experience bringing a young child (7) on a riverboat cruise.

Several cruise lines have a minimum age of around 12 so worth checking the age limit as well as the available cabin sizes.

The more child-friendly lines I see mentioned from time to time are AmaWaterways, A-ROSA, CroisiEurope and Tauck.

The passengers on US river cruises are definitely in the 60+ age group. I don't know how that would work for your child, unless you have family activities planned in each port.

Roz

The passengers on US river cruises are definitely in the 60+ age group. I don't know how that would work for your child, unless you have family activities planned in each port.

Roz

This also could mean that a young child may not like the food choices and entertainment. The meals are at set times and can take more time than young children can tolerate

Have you considered ocean cruises that include Canada and New England-some include more US ports than Canadian. These ships would offer the type of cabin you are looking for. Food and entertainment choices would also be more to a child's liking.

Edited by purduemom1

Does CroisiEurope do any programming specifically for the younger people? The fact that they are welcome doesn't mean that they will enjoy themselves. Unless the programming on CroisiEurope is quite different from that I experienced on 2 Uniworld cruises in 2010 and 2011, kids will be bored stiff.

Does CroisiEurope do any programming specifically for the younger people? The fact that they are welcome doesn't mean that they will enjoy themselves. Unless the programming on CroisiEurope is quite different from that I experienced on 2 Uniworld cruises in 2010 and 2011, kids will be bored stiff.

They certainly had a specific member of staff looking after the young travelers with some activities on a couple of the trips I was on. Don't know what ships and dates these are offered or if only offered in French.

Hi there,

In the Summer Months, we do have some family programs in Italy, Spain and Portugal, where we offer some family discounts, and there are activities for children on board.

For young adults (and everyone else), we also offer a range of Discovery excursions - these are typically more off beat or active than our classic excursion packages - great for families exploring Europe together.

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has experience bringing a young child (7) on a riverboat cruise. It seems every time I look into one, it's only a cabin for two people. Are there such things as a cabin for three? If so, on which line?

Thanks!

AMA has joined with Disney. Check that line. Not sure if a 7 y/o would enjoy a river cruise.

If the Disney option doesn't work for you. Suggest that you consider a driving/train vacation. That way you are in control or food, entertainment and bedtime

Carole

That way you are in control or food, entertainment and bedtime

Carole

Good point Carole, as most dinner cruises have a later dinner - 7:30ish that will last for a good hour or so, and early mornings to go out touring....

Also, the food may not be to a child's liking.

Edited by Daisi

Never seen a child on a river cruise, but I have only done Russia, China, Rhone and Douro.

As for American river cruises, I did some research and was not impressed. Prices are very high and the ports are places that I have been.

Sorry, can't get excited about going back to Memphis, St. Louis, etc.

Hi all!

Thanks!

Disney is doing river cruises and using AMA Waterways.

Agreed! I saw two very bored 15 year olds who, obviously did not even enjoy the historical sites that they were seeing (why should they?) Their noses were constantly into video games on their phones. Don't waste your money or time trying to keep them entertained.

I saw two very bored 15 year olds who, obviously did not even enjoy the historical sites that they were seeing (why should they?)

I loved historical sites at age 15 and still do today. All kids are different (as are all adults!) and the key is to know YOUR kid (or spouse or parent or whomever you are proposing to travel with!).

The FAQs on the Adventures by Disney/AMA website say they don't recommend the trips for kids under age 8 but will accept any over age 4....

I loved historical sites at age 15 and still do today. All kids are different (as are all adults!) and the key is to know YOUR kid (or spouse or parent or whomever you are proposing to travel with!).

The FAQs on the Adventures by Disney/AMA website say they don't recommend the trips for kids under age 8 but will accept any over age 4....

I agree...it totally depends on the child(ren) in question.

My children are in their 20's now, but they love history/historical sites and we traveled all over Europe with them from the time they were very small - they may be oddballs, but they enjoy museums, walking tours etc. My kids would have a great time on a river cruise - at any age. And incidentally would have no interest in anything 'Disney'. To each their own. ;)

Edited by CutieKakes