Status match program. Did it help you choose MSC, did you book another?

mscdivina2016

Did the Status match program work or did it insult those who earned their status?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Status match program work or did it insult those who earned their status?

• No the program had no influence on my decision to book
    • Yes, but I probably won't book another
    • Yes, and I probably will book another
    • Yes, and I have sailed or booked a 2nd one already

On another thread here it has become apparent that the Status match program is not sitting too well with those who earned their status the hard way.

It has been suggested that a poll be set up to see how well the program is working. Was it a great marketing ploy or an insult to true loyalist of the brand.

If you have sailed because of the match, did you book another?

This poll is for status match cruisers and not those who earned their status. Your vote will be public.

I am a match-er who would never have tried them otherwise. I like the perks I get from other lines so I will see if I will sail again with them after my 1st with them next month.

Keep in mind that this is to see if giving the store away has caused you to book again. If you have not sailed yet, this is not really applicable to you.

Edited by mscdivina2016

We booked 4 cabins for our annual family cruise because of the great prices. Buy one get one free in balcony cabins & kids sail free enticed us. We did not know about the status match until after we booked, however I was able to match NCL platinum to Black status on MSC. We are looking forward to our Divina cruise next month. If all goes well, we will book the Seaside for 2018. The great price definitely was the reason we booked MSC, not the status match program.

I did not book because of the Status Match. I did not even know about it until after reading about it here. Anyone that knows me and reads my posts, I have repeatedly stated that I don't give a darn about status and I am not loyal to any "one" cruise line. Now....the Status Match is a plus and a perk and I am grateful for it, but it had nothing to do with me booking. Saw a pic of the new Seaside and was hooked. We love the new ships and mega ships. (the price for our suite was also a BIG plus). :):):)

I am SURE we will book again. I really wanted to book the Divina for 2017, but the family wants to do an AI instead of a cruise next year. Who knows...still may squeeze it in. :)

I looked at MSC for years but I was put off by the bad reviews.

I decided if I was to cruise MSC it would only be in the YC. I hate crowds (and I'm not crazy about out-of-control children either).

So I only applied the status match for dh only to get the 5% off. If the status match came through (and remember people were have a very hard time getting it), I would take that as a sign to book.

Subsequently, dh has seen pictures of Seaside and he's "interested" but we haven't booked it yet.

So they got us as customers and we'll probably book another.....and it was because of the Status Match.

We booked first , it was our first cruise and at a very good price. Then found cruise critic and from this the status match. And to start at the top of ladder... Also have previously said we have booked again for January .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We booked MSC for the first time for 2 reasons; we live in Florida and MSC is one of the few cruise lines that sail to the Caribbean in the summer and we don't care for Carnival and RCCL. The other reason was the price. We embarked last Saturday and loved MSC, the Loyalty program had no bearing on booking but it was well appreciated. We take 3 cruises a year and MSC will now be the line that we cruise with for our summer cruise.

Status Match got me to look at MSC, which I probably wouldn't have done without it.

Subsequently, I booked a cruise. We'll see if the status match retains me to book another (or more).

So, it was successful.

This is exactly the response I would have written.

Our cruise is next Wednesday out of Southampton. I can't wait to see what happens. We are on the very lowest budget package.

So we are carnival platinum and had never been on msc, they status matched us to gold. That means just by being a carnival cruiser they would give us 4300 points. It's a marketing ploy to get more business. They match a bunch of stuff. Go to the voyagers club online and click status match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

My husband and I sailed on a 5 day MSC cruise in March 2015. We liked the ship, the large O/V cabins and the price.

When we returned home, MSC implemented the "status march" program, so we figured - why not? We were matched at Black Card for our Celebrity Elite status.

We booked a cruise with friends for May, but then had a family emergency and had to cancel ( before final payment - thank goodness).

We had no plans for the summer, and so when we saw the promotions they were running for July and August, we jumped on it.

We enjoyed the cruise (although, note to self wait until the kids are back in school). We had booked a inside GTY and received a very nice cabin assignment, midship with only one other cabin next to us. It was a very spacious, comfortable cabin.

The chilled bottles of Prosecco made great Mimosas for getting ready in the morning (we received two as we are both Black Card). The specialty restaurants benefit was nice, we enjoyed the Galaxy more than Eataly.

The morning we disembarked, we left the chocolate ship in the refrigerator, saving me from wasted calories.

We booked another cruise while onboard - aft facing balcony cabin, a week when children do not sail free, received the 5% discount and some OBC. Our travel agent will add a bit more OBC, so that should cover the gratuities.

We will probably book another MSC cruise when on that one. :)

Two flyers ... Are you both Elite with Celebrity ? I am guessing that both were earned via one persons booking with them, unlike with MSC where only one person gets the appropriate level while their spouse is on a lower level unless they take turns in paying the final onboard bill with their own Credit card.

This shows yet again how MSC are discriminating against customers.

So for those of you who have done this, do you think doing the match with Carnival Platinum or Princess platinum would be better? Or should I wait to do the paperwork when I hit Princess Elite? Any news about how long the match promotion will last?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We status matched and got Black...we are Diamond on RCCL, Elite on Celebrity, Platinum on Princess, Gold on Cunard and I don't even remember what we are on Carnival or NCL but we have sailed them both several times. So it's not like we are newbies to cruising and got a random undeserved statue on MSC.

However, We booked a B2B on Seaside for 2/18 because some friends were going and asked if would like to join them. It sounded good and it will be interesting to sail on a new ship. We did the status match, but that is not what enticed us to book.

In the meantime, we saw a very good deal on the Divina later this year so we booked that to get a "taste" of what MSC is like prior to sailing in 2018. Of course we have the status match which we just look at as a small bonus, we would have booked anyway.

I don't get all the ire by the folks who "earned it"! We earned it too, except on different cruise lines. Sorry that the other cruise lines don't give a status match to MSC cruisers, but wouldn't it be silly of us not to take advantage of it with MSC?

Two flyers ... Are you both Elite with Celebrity ? I am guessing that both were earned via one persons booking with them, unlike with MSC where only one person gets the appropriate level while their spouse is on a lower level unless they take turns in paying the final onboard bill with their own Credit card.

This shows yet again how MSC are discriminating against customers.

Hmm? So you are saying when we sail, we should each use a different card to pay. Do they automatically split the bill depending on who signed the check at dinner or elsewhere?

I mean, my DH and I will use a particular card, and each of us have our names on this account, but only one of us will get the credit?

So for those of you who have done this, do you think doing the match with Carnival Platinum or Princess platinum would be better? Or should I wait to do the paperwork when I hit Princess Elite? Any news about how long the match promotion will last?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not sure. My two friends who status matched used their Princess Elite status and got Black. DH and I are only Platinum on Princess, so we used our Diamond status from Royal Caribbean and got Black.

Hopefully someone can answer your question here!

Suzyed ... Our four cruises so far with MSC have us both at the same level of Gold but on different points numbers due to the final onboard bill having been paid using my Credit card.

If we were to take a 7 night cruise next week with MSC and my other half used her card we would still both be Gold, if I was to pay I would be Black and she would still be Gold! No problem if we travel together but if she wanted to travel with another family member she would not be entitled to Black status.

Like most others we are the same level with RCI, Princess, Cunard and Costa regardless of who paid the final bill.