New to Oceania-book through them or a TA?

Sailingagain0123

It is against the Cruise Critic rules to recommend aTA. In fact this thread will likely be deleted. Sorry.

I think most folks here would say definitely book through a TA - preferably one with experience working with O.

Sorry I can't help further!

Donna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have booked about six cruises with four different lines, and TAs have ALWAYS offered the best pricing, which doesn't mean the base fare, but the included gratuitites, ship credit, etc.

YMMV.

John

Be sure that you ask any TA you contact if they are experienced with Oceania. You don't want a neophyte. (And by "experienced" I don't mean that they have booked a handful of cruises.)

Mura

Madams,

It is good to hear that you were happy booking direct with Oceania. (We were happy with Renaissance's services way back when as well.) But I have to say I've read more unhappy comments from people who've gone direct to the line than otherwise. (Yes, there have been negative comments about some TAs as well.)

I had thought that I'd heard that the website had a listing of approved TAs, but I couldn't find that list if it does exist. (I know there are TAs who are designated as superior by the line but where the list is to be found, I don't know.)

But I did see this comment at the FAQ section which I found very interesting:

Should I use a travel agent?

Travel agencies provide a valuable service when planning your vacation with Oceania Cruises. We recommend that you work with your travel professional who understands your individual needs. Your chosen agent will act on your behalf for all arrangements, including deposits and payments for your cruise. Travel agencies are not owned or operated by Oceania Cruises and act only as independent agents, solely on your behalf.

Mura

You can always book with Oceana and get the best rate they offer. You can then move the booking to a TA and get the perks $$ thy have to offer as well.

Never good to leave money on the table!

I believe that this needs to be done within a certain period of time after booking for the TA to get their compensation (1 month?)

Hi Everyone,

Please review our Guidelines carefully.

Quoting a portion of our guidelines:

"...There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links (Or Hints) to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning...

Please do not reply to this post. If you have any questions, feel free to email me by clicking on the link below. Thank you for your understanding.

Someone mentioned booking directly with the cruise line and then transferring the booking to a travel agent. I believe you have to do this within 30 days of booking. We have done this in the past....booked directly with the cruise line and then had our TA take over the booking to get discounts, OBC's etc.

We have always used our own travel agent, since I want to choose my own air. I've felt sorry for some other passengers on O cruises who used O air and had less than wonderful connections etc (although I'm not sure there are any terrific air experiences these days...)

But I would carefully consider booking through any cruise line since you will likely buy your trip insurance through the cruise line. If you browse through CC, you will find some real horror stories on this subject. The stories don't involve Oceania, but they provide a convincing argument for insuring with a third party.

We have always used our own travel agent, since I want to choose my own air. I've felt sorry for some other passengers on O cruises who used O air and had less than wonderful connections etc (although I'm not sure there are any terrific air experiences these days...)

But I would carefully consider booking through any cruise line since you will likely buy your trip insurance through the cruise line. If you browse through CC, you will find some real horror stories on this subject. The stories don't involve Oceania, but they provide a convincing argument for insuring with a third party.

I believe that you may be slightly misstating the situation as:

1) Oceania has always offered the option of choosing ones "included" airline flights directly, albeit for a fee

2) Travel Insurance is available through Oceania, but may also be declined without a penalty.

Most importantly, in both cases, the use (or non use) of a Travel Agent would have no impact on the options offered to the Passenger. I'm confused as to why you thought that it would?

Someone mentioned booking directly with the cruise line and then transferring the booking to a travel agent. I believe you have to do this within 30 days of booking. We have done this in the past....booked directly with the cruise line and then had our TA take over the booking to get discounts, OBC's etc.

This is exactly what my sister and I do. We do all our own research, book with the line directly,, then turn the reservation over to our TA.

I too like to book my own air and I ALWAYS go early stay late or add cities before and after the cruise so would pay a deviation fee also. Consider airline points as you can get many from other sources like credit cards etc and these you need to do your own air. Talk to folks who take many cruises and find out who they use. There ARE GOOD travel agents and mine is wonderful. Good luck in finding someone who works well for you.

For insurance, I believe in having my travel insurance with someone other than the travel product provider. If a cruise or tour company financially goes under you do not want your insurance with the company that is bankrupt. You get your money back AFTER suppliers, governments etc. My TA gets our insurance from a 3rd party insurance agent. Insurance is not just for cancellation it has medical implications, baggage implications, evacuation etc. Read up on travel insurance at Insure My Trip or other web sites.

We booked directly with Oceania (twice) and transferred the booking to our TA as soon as possible. Our TA is not one who specializes in Oceania so we just get some $ for bookings through them (we transfer all trips land and sea to them). One reason to book through a TA who does a lot of business with Oceania-I keep reading about people getting lots of OBC and other perks from a TA with a good relationship with Oceania.

Even with our transfer, our TA was given information to pass on to us when good upgrades were available (remember to act on any upgrade that appeals to you as soon as possible for best results or give your TA instructions to book a certain type of cabin and/or pay a certain amount more to upgrade if they know the ships well). We chose our upgrade cabins directly with Oceania then let the TA take over again. Oceania has not let us down and has worked with us and our TA as we wished but I do see that those with a good TA with connections get even better service.

I do my research, gather all the information, then I book directly with my TA. I have a really good one, with lots of "clout" with Oceania, and she can usually get me the type of cabin I want. She usually has a group booking and can offer whatever perks Oceania is supplying to TA's. Once booked, she's super willing to do anything for me, getting answers to questions, finding space in excursions, watching for upgrades and upsells, and solving any little problems with the reservation. She knows who to call, and they know her. She's worth her weight in gold, which is good, because she rarely provides any additional benefits from her commission. She must be good, because it's hard to believe how many folks on this forum use her, her sister or her Mom.

I wish I could tell who it is. I wish I could shout it from the rooftops, because they've been that good to me. Almost everything I've learned about Oceania came from them. But, the rules are against it, and I understand the reasons for the rules.

Always a trusted TA, you'll get more. And shop around---get on that will work for you, not them self's or "O". We found a great one this time around (new to us)---haven't used them for "O" yet-but they did wonders for another cruise line we took. And they have deals and perks for "O" that we didn't get before changing.

Rick

I've booked 3 Oceania cruises with one their TA's. The customer service has been outstanding. They've revised and updated my latest reservation with the changing fares and amenities. Now I've had to ask for them, but there's no hesitation to make right. As a matter of fact, we've been upgraded to a penthouse suite for less than a B4 Veranda on our upcoming cruise.

In addition, I like the false sense of security I get from dealing direct. I like to believe I'll get better response from Oceania is something goes wrong.

I've booked 3 Oceania cruises with one their TA's. The customer service has been outstanding. They've revised and updated my latest reservation with the changing fares and amenities. Now I've had to ask for them, but there's no hesitation to make right. As a matter of fact, we've been upgraded to a penthouse suite for less than a B4 Veranda on our upcoming cruise.

In addition, I like the false sense of security I get from dealing direct. I like to believe I'll get better response from Oceania is something goes wrong.

As long as you're happy with it.

I'm with Don, looking for and finding a good travel agent is the best travel decision I ever made. His description sounds pretty familiar. I never fail to be amazed how many people value a rebate over real service. I'm pretty sure in the long run people that use a TA like Hondorner and myself come out ahead in the long run. It seems to be the old pennywise and pound foolish adage.