Movies Under the Stars - -

Romy40

On our last couple of cruises on the Royal & Regal, they would add the previous nights Movie Under the Stars to the TV movie selections the next day. So if you missed the movie the night before you could always watch it on the TV later on in the cruise.

We particularly enjoyed the fact that the movies were on the TV the next day. Twice in a 10 night cruise, we has issues with the MUTS sound. Once the sound was not loud enough and difficult to hear at times. (The Greatest Showman) The second time, there was no sound at all. They must have realized it because we got up to leave. As we were moving to the elevator, the sound came on, but the didn't re-start the movie. They just picked up where they were, 20 minutes or so into the film. We opted to continue our departure, knowing that we could start at the beginning in our cabin. This was a Star Wars film that we'd already seen.

It would be a nice option to have the audio broadcast via WiFi so people could plug their phones in to hear the movie.

Or even an option to use your Bluetooth headset - although Bluetooth is pretty short range If they did broadcast it via WiFi one could use their phone along with a headset or earbuds. The problem would be those who just let their phone blare out the sound which would be extremely obnoxious to others.

We have sometimes had problems hearing the movie. There is wind noise, etc. and it's really frustrating to not be able to understand what is being said. If we can sit directly in front of the screen it's better but off to the sides. it's just become terrible. It's not that our hearing is going (yes, it's not what it once was but that really isn't the problem) it's that they just don't turn the darn thing up loud enough. We weren't the only people having trouble the last time we tried to watch MUTS.

We also have an issue with the way people move chairs around and partially block the doors so they can watch sporting events during the day and be out of the direct sunlight. It's really an issue for mobility impaired folks but, of course, staff doesn't do anything about it.

It would be a nice option to have the audio broadcast via WiFi so people could plug their phones in to hear the movie.

Very good idea, and I agree that during the day but not night. Princess will never get rid of it, it’s very popular especially when there’s a good film showing

I wish they would do away with it. It's not well attended and highly noisy if trying to sit by the pool area.
I so agree! Moreover, on last three voyages we took, they no longer were showing movies in either the Princess Theatre or any lounge. Real dissapointment.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately not. I hate being essentially forced to sit and watch awfuo movies. The junk that they show during the day is even worse.

DON

I would tend to agree with you regarding their selections. I'm of that era, I don't care for shoot em up's, sci fi, or other types of violence. I would love to sit and watch a good comedy or family movie. Years ago, we sailed on a ship that's now home for the fishies. The theater was in the bow of the ship and they were showing Captain Ron. It was so neat rocking and rolling along with the movie.

I wish they would do away with it. It's not well attended and highly noisy if trying to sit by the pool area.

??? If it's a decent movie and regardless of the cruise our experience has been that it is standing room only. Even the pointy throw ball Princess insists on showing seems to be bizarrely popular... Now if they could only do away with that and show proper football instead :p

We absolutely love it. My son and I go watch the movie at night and have some popcorn and cookies and its beautiful with the stars overhead. One of the highlights of every cruise for us.

Us too. Our best was in the Artic Circle, loads of layers, hats, scarves, gloves and rugs watching Star Wars at 11.00 pm with sunglasses on. It was magic.

??? If it's a decent movie and regardless of the cruise our experience has been that it is standing room only. Even the pointy throw ball Princess insists on showing seems to be bizarrely popular... Now if they could only do away with that and show proper football instead :p

kicky / guessy ??? yeah, right...:rolleyes:

We like the movies at night, although it seems like it is often too cold or windy or rainy.. I don't like what they show during the day; sometimes my husband semi-watches (sleeps through?) daytime movies. The concerts are just plain awful.

I hope they haven't really given up movies in the Princess theater on sea days; we've enjoyed those. And it is nice that if you miss the MUTS show, it is on tv the next day.

Now if all ships would just get on-demand tv!

Clearly the movies that Princess shows at night have lovers and haters. We all do not like every movie. The idea of sitting outside on the lido deck watching a movie on the big screen is appealing even with inclimate weather. I am not a big movie buff but my DW is and she does go watch certain movies while I prefer other venues. It is not for everyone.

As for the concerts that show during the day, I do watch them and enjoy seeing them on the big screen. Again it may not suit all tastes. We cannot have 24 hours of only the material we like. I was raised with r'n'r and will be "moving to the grooving" until the final end. Rock on!