2017 - 2018 Mariner Tiles series?

Alphen

Copper, I did find the newer ones, they were all mixed up in the pile of tiles I have. I found a bunch which had "New design" on the boxes, but it turned out they were not the newest!

You must have quite the collection. Mine are gathering dust :o

41913579_10156501324040729_6064112871237746688_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ef3c746182253dc5e1e885d8fc9f99b7&oe=5C25C16D

Thanks for posting the photo of the new tile. I have several of the old one so a new design is welcomed. Has anyone done anything with the tiles? I was considering tiling a tray with them. Gloria

Save

That's exactly what we did with ours; we made serving trays. 'Dam things weigh a ton now and that's without anything (being served) on them! ;p

"De Halve Maen" is the ship that was in the previous logo of Holland America, it is a ship of the famous "Dutch East India Company". Legend has it that "De Halve Maen" set out to discover the so called "Northern Pasage" around 1609, under the guidance of an english captain; Henry Hudson. Eventually the ship ended up a river on the east coast of America, the river was later named after him, the Hudson river.

In later history, two replica's have been made, one in the early 1900's, with hometown in Manhatten, later burned in the late thirties and another replica was made also in the US. More recently the ship was moved to the Dutch city of Hoorn, where it will be on loan for a couple of years.

It has been part of the HAL logo for many years.

I just visited Hoorn last week and toured the replica ship Haeve Maen. It’s very small! I can’t imagine sailing to New York on this. You don’t even want to know what their toilet process was. Yikes!!

I also toured the old HAL headquarters in Rotterdam as well as the old ship herself, of the same name. It is lovely! The welcome mat coming on board is the famous “day of the week” elevator rug!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hudson's final voyage was not a happy one. On June 22, 1611, the crew mutinied, put Hudson, his son, and several other crewmen in a small boat, and left them in Hudson Bay. No one knows what happened to them. It is assumed that they died soon after that.

That’s not what the museum says at Haeve Maen. They said the crew mutinied and tossed Hudson overboard. Nothing said about his son or other crew. Either way, though, not a good ending.

When we had our shower redone, I had the contractors pu ta line of Mariners tiles intot he tile design in the shower. i I love ever y time I I get into the shower, I see Statendam Noordam , Zuiderdam, Westerdam, etc at just about eye level.

That’s not what the museum says at Haeve Maen. They said the crew mutinied and tossed Hudson overboard. Nothing said about his son or other crew.
"Tossed" overboard or "put" overboard? Wikipedia says

Descriptions of the successful mutiny are one-sided, because the only survivors who could tell their story were the mutineers and those who went along with the mutiny. Allegedly in the latter class was ship's navigator Abacuk Pricket, a survivor who kept a journal that was to become a key source for the narrative of the mutiny. According to Pricket, the leaders of the mutiny were Henry Greene and Robert Juet. Pricket's narrative tells how the mutineers set Hudson, his teenage son John, and seven crewmen—men who were either sick and infirm or loyal to Hudson—adrift from the Discovery in a small shallop, an open boat, effectively marooning them in Hudson Bay. The Pricket journal reports that the mutineers provided the castaways with clothing, powder and shot, some pikes, an iron pot, some food, and other miscellaneous items.

Pricket's journal and testimony have been severely criticized for bias, on two grounds. Firstly, prior to the mutiny the alleged leaders of the uprising, Greene and Juet, had been friends and loyal seamen of Captain Hudson. Secondly, Greene and Juet did not survive the return voyage to England. Pricket knew he and the other survivors of the mutiny would be tried in England for piracy, and it would have been in his interest, and the interest of the other survivors, to put together a narrative that would place the blame for the mutiny upon men who were no longer alive to defend themselves.

Edited by catl331

I just visited Hoorn last week and toured the replica ship Haeve Maen. It’s very small! I can’t imagine sailing to New York on this. You don’t even want to know what their toilet process was. Yikes!!

I also toured the old HAL headquarters in Rotterdam as well as the old ship herself, of the same name. It is lovely! The welcome mat coming on board is the famous “day of the week” elevator rug!

So nice you enjoyed the good old SS Rotterdam. We enjoyed an overnight there recently and she is still a beautifull ship. The welcome mats are a recent edition, which they got from or through the HAL office with some difficulty, since the SS Rotterdam is now a hotel slash museum and in no way related to HAL, but they still were able to get hold of the mats, which is a pretty neat thing. They do not fit into the old elevators, so currently they are at the entrance.

The Halve Maen (Half Moon) replica at the beautiful Dutch city of Hoorn is small alright. Wow, to cross the mighty Atlantic on that bad boy without Frankenstein neck patches, arm bands and/or a good supply of Dramamine was quite a feat ! :eek:

HRMarriv-768x531.jpg

You must have quite the collection. Mine are gathering dust :o

41913579_10156501324040729_6064112871237746688_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ef3c746182253dc5e1e885d8fc9f99b7&oe=5C25C16D

WOW!!! I just looked at this photo and then your signature line. You've spent the equivalent of over 4.5 years on a cruise ship!?!?!?

Have you ever done the math of how much money you've spent on cruises????

You should have just bought your own ship!! :)

We have not seen one of those tiles that have been out since 2017. we continue to receive the generic tile with three ships names on them. Even when we did the Voyage of the Vikings cruise last year, we still got generic, and not one that actually commemorate that cruise.

It was a disappointment, as I was putting the tiles on a bench, and had saved the front and center place for it.

We were on the 24 night Oosterdam last month, and once again.. we got one with three ships names on it. I have so many of the same tiles, it is a shame.

Also.

I soak the cork backing off the tiles before mounting them, and there is a change. Where they once said "Delft" on the back, they now say "Made in Portugal".

\

I have attached a photo of two tile backs, an original tile and what we receive these days.

plus the latest Oosterdam tile, you can see the mirror image in the mirror, so it is a HAL tile.

Also a photo of the bench and the table .

I have also made cushions from the cotton bags they used to give to everyone. It does dress up the patio nicely.

I have two more spaces for tiles on one side of the bench, but I will wait and see if the design changes. I have tons of extra tiles, but I hate to duplicate or triplicate the tiles on the bench.

2022605526_bbtwotiles.jpg.79eb2d2c5773753950afac81f017c5fb.jpg

254293974_bbtilesmall.jpg.9b17c8e57e15e0f68b2acdd25e6c7af8.jpg

420691533_bbtable.jpg.ea73404c3051d8a4c6cedb9a493ef7e7.jpg

bench.jpg.ee66429aafe427d7250ccc276c83d84f.jpg