GTY cabin assignment

Im 5 days from my sail date and still no cabin assignment. What time would you get to the port if still not assigned? I’m thinking earlier is better, perhaps better options. I know some cruisers might not show up, but don’t want to wait until last minute. Anyone got assigned at port before and how was you cabin?

Im 5 days from my sail date and still no cabin assignment. What time would you get to the port if still not assigned? I’m thinking earlier is better, perhaps better options. I know some cruisers might not show up, but don’t want to wait until last minute. Anyone got assigned at port before and how was you cabin?

Does not matter, the latest your stateroom will be assigned is early morning on departure day. The assignment will be on the manifest which the porters need to make luggage tags for you.

Once before, on a different cruiseline, we were assigned at the port.

I am sure they already know which cabin you are getting. It will have nothing to do with who shows up.

What type of guarantee did you get ? run of the ship/ balcony/ etc. ?

We booked a Guaranteed Balcony for the 3 night taster cruise on the Independence last Thursday (17th). The cabin status was GTY for 6 weeks and then 2 days before sailing we got a call to say the ship was overbooked and all that was left was an Inside cabin which we could have at a discount, or we could cancel with no charges. Our Agent made several phone calls and didn't get anywhere with RCI. I was livid to say the least, but a stroppy phone call to a call centre in America and an even stroppier email later, we got assigned a balcony on the 6th floor the very next day. After all the hassle and stress we went through, I wouldn't leave it until the last minute.

Leave what? One has to wait for an assignment - can't do anything but wait.

I'd be on the phone and chasing for a cabin number. This was our first time with RC and the agent kept telling me it was normal to not have a cabin number but I've never experienced that with Cunard. The others in our group were assigned a cabin number 3 days after booking, we all booked together and also arranged to be seated together in the MDR. I'm pretty sure the cabin we eventually got was the one we should have been allocated in the first place. When we actually got into the room there was paperwork addressed to another couple, this couple had also been allocated our dining seating so they would have been sitting on a big table with my kids and grandkids, luckily they decided not to sit there so we got the seats. They probably took one look at my grandkids and decided to go somewhere quieter for dinner :D.

I'd be on the phone and chasing for a cabin number.

As many have reported here calling for an assignment when booking GTY typically does nothing. You just happen to be that one very rare customer who didn't get an assignment and got a call to be downgraded.

I purchased a JS Guarantee for our next cruise.

I just checked and we have been allocated a Grand Suite.

Doing the happy dance.:) :) :)

Cheers

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Nice one! Enjoy

Cheers

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Winner winner.

Cheers

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Buy a lottery ticket ASAP!

Many times it’s a cheaper price.

In some cases it is MUCH cheaper. Here is an example. I was able to book a 7-day Balcony GTY on FOTS for $1,100 pp all in (taxes, etc) for 3 adults in a room (oldest is 15 so now an adult according to RCI). This would have been $1,300 pp if we had picked out our cabin so we saved $600 on our cruise.

We noticed a Jr. Suite GTY for what was only about $100 more than the Balcony "pick your room". No Jr. Suites were available so we were fortune to end up with a Grand Suite for our upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise in June. Price pp for picking your own room GS was over $1,800 pp but the GTY ended up just under $1,400 pp so we saved about $1,200 on a GS vs. picking ours out. So GTYs at the balcony level are a great opportunity to save some $s.

However, GTYs at lower categories can be a HUGE gamble sometimes for very little savings. 27 years ago our first cruise was a GTY Ocean View. On that cruise we were assigned an OV cabin at the rear of the ship (NCL Sunward II) above the engine room so we wound up with engine noise the ENTIRE cruise so sleeping in a rumbling cabin taught us to never again book a GTY lower than Balcony.

Edited by ndabunka

Doing the happy dance.:):):)

Hope some of your good luck rubs off on us. We just booked a JS guarantee and are patiently (ok maybe no so patiently ;p ) waiting for our cabin assignment.

Going the guarantee route saved us over $800.00 vs. booking a specific junior suite.

In some cases it is MUCH cheaper. Here is an example. I was able to book a 7-day Balcony GTY on FOTS for $1,100 pp all in (taxes, etc) for 3 adults in a room (oldest is 15 so now an adult according to RCI). This would have been $1,300 pp if we had picked out our cabin so we saved $600 on our cruise.

There is no price difference for children and adults on RC. (ignoring KSF). The third passenger in the room pays the same price regardless of age.

We noticed a Jr. Suite GTY for what was only about $100 more than the Balcony "pick your room". No Jr. Suites were available so we were fortune to end up with a Grand Suite for our upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise in June. Price pp for picking your own room GS was over $1,800 pp but the GTY ended up just under $1,400 pp so we saved about $1,200 on a GS vs. picking ours out. So GTYs at the balcony level are a great opportunity to save some $s.

You were very lucky, and I am very happy for you. But booking a suite guarantee when there are no JS visibly available does NOT mean that you are going to get a GS or above. As a matter of fact, that is rare. There are many reasons for this. Here are two: There are JS that don't show on the website; they upsell JS occupants and give the JS to guarantee bookers.

:)

Cheers

Aussie Frequent Floaters

That happened to me also. It got to be quite the joke on our roll call thread that I was going to have to sleep in the bilge with the rats, or in the life boats, sleep on cots on deck...etc. Everyone on our thread was assigned that had GTY but myself up until then.

Indeed 5 days before the cruise...our JS GTY was turned into an assigned GS cabin. Good things come to those that wait! :D:hearteyes:

There is no price difference for children and adults on RC. (ignoring KSF). The third passenger in the room pays the same price regardless of age.

I can see your point but this may not be entirely accurate for children unless RCI changed the playing field in the last few years. When they ran the "kids sail free" promo, they actually were free so when he was 6 in 2011 we only paid for the first two in the cabin. It sounds like that may have changed but we were already well aware that anyone over 12 is now considered an adult so this was not really of any surprise to us.

You were very lucky, and I am very happy for you. But booking a suite guarantee when there are no JS visibly available does NOT mean that you are going to get a GS or above. As a matter of fact, that is rare. There are many reasons for this. Here are two: There are JS that don't show on the website; they upsell JS occupants and give the JS to guarantee bookers

:)

Yep, also familiar with the policy & also know of the back door way to check cabins on the UK-based site (I work for BT) and although we don't normally use a TA, we did so in this case as the TA could "see" more than the general public could and she agreed it was worth the gamble to jump on it before someone @ RCI was able to "upsell" a Jr into a GS. In the end, it was a calculated risk that paid off. Our TA may also have helped in some way we might not be aware of. The category code representation was listed as a WS so perhaps it was a GS guarantee instead of a JS GTY? I really have no idea about the codes though so maybe we did just get lucky. Regardless of the path, we are grateful for the fortune!

Edited by ndabunka

Cheers

Aussie Frequent Floaters

WOW fantastic! I've had at least 20 guarantees and in EVERY case was assigned in the same category as the guarantee. (I don't take the guarantee with hopes of an upgrade. I take it to save money.)

M

I can see your point but this may not be entirely accurate for children unless RCI changed the playing field in the last few years. When they ran the "kids sail free" promo, they actually were free so when he was 6 in 2011 we only paid for the first two in the cabin. It sounds like that may have changed but we were already well aware that anyone over 12 is now considered an adult so this was not really of any surprise to us.

Yep, also familiar with the policy & also know of the back door way to check cabins on the UK-based site (I work for BT) and although we don't normally use a TA, we did so in this case as the TA could "see" more than the general public could and she agreed it was worth the gamble to jump on it before someone @ RCI was able to "upsell" a Jr into a GS. In the end, it was a calculated risk that paid off. Our TA may also have helped in some way we might not be aware of. The category code representation was listed as a WS so perhaps it was a GS guarantee instead of a JS GTY? I really have no idea about the codes though so maybe we did just get lucky. Regardless of the path, we are grateful for the fortune!

Nope, not a GS guarantee. Regular suite guarantee category. :)