Why are cruise lines constantly cutting back?

Scotto97

Why should cruise lines cater to their loyal passengers when their ships continue to sail full? We've sailed over 30 times, primarily on RCI, X, and Princess, and they all cut back time and time again, so we have decided to explore continental USA instead, and save $ in the process. We'll forfeit our loyalty points, but who cares???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reading many of these comments, I'm struck by how much companies are forced to sacrifice the quality of their product over time in order to increase profits. It seems to be that corporations are destined to fail over time due to this, as competitors without as much fiscal responsibility at that time would be able to operate at a lower margin, stealing customers/profits away from the leviathans. This is an interesting way.

Why should cruise lines cater to their loyal passengers when their ships continue to sail full? We've sailed over 30 times, primarily on RCI, X, and Princess, and they all cut back time and time again, so we have decided to explore continental USA instead, and save $ in the process. We'll forfeit our loyalty points, but who cares???

What has Princess cut back on? I know there are fewer bars on the Majestic but I believe those they still have are bigger so it probably works out the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems the goal of the main cruiselines is how little can the give you for the most they can squeeze out of your pocket.

I have pretty much given up on the main cruiselines as I cannot take the constant cutbacks, endless extra charges and extreme cuts in the quality especially in the meals.

We finished our first Viking cruise and it seems the goal of Viking is for everyone to have the greatest time possible. We have 2 more Viking. Raises booke. The cruise was fantastic and well worth the cost over the main lines. For us I do not think we can go back.

We do keep up with what is going on here with each line.

This. So much this. I feel so pampered on a cruise ship. Other people are cooking my meals. I don't have to clean my bathroom. I don't have to go far to get a drink.

I don't mind going to the bar and waiting a bit for my coffee. I don't expect the waiter to check in on me - in fact I find it a bit irritating.

I don't expect or need the waiter to remember me. I don't need a personal relationship with her.

I hope for no obnoxiuos kids and not too many drunken cruise guests. But that's not the responsibility of the cruise company.

This...there are more people like this that just want a nice vacation and if all this is included (the non- everyday stuff for an average, middle class, hard working person) then it feels like a great vacation. We have been cruising for 17 years, our son (now 15) has been crusiing since he was a toddler and we still love it as much as we did in the beginning, probably more. It is great family time, away from all the stresses of the world and everyday life.

We have cruised on several lines (they each have their pros and cons) and have done land AI's as well as travelled several times to Europe. We are not everyday complainers in life and appreciate the fact that we do all this by hard work and saving for vacations by choice. Key word, CHOICE. I see so many complaints about little things and if it is a big issue for these people then move on, things change constantly and we all have that line that will make us move on. We love crusing and CCL is still a great vacation for our family and will continue to cruise on CCL until we don't.

Interesting thread with some new and some old ideas as to the cause. I have another to consider. New builds. Building these behemoths at a billion per pop the largest single change from the past. Carnival built the entire Fantasy class for a bit more than they will pay for the Horizon.

The other factor is market saturation. It used to be really just the big three fighting for the cruise dollar (let's concentrate on the Caribbean since that is the main emphasis of CCL). Now they as competitors: Royal, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Costa, MSC, Azamara, HAL, American cruise line, Disney, Aida, Pulmantur, Hurigurten, P&O, Celebration.....

Interesting thread with some new and some old ideas as to the cause. I have another to consider. New builds. Building these behemoths at a billion per pop the largest single change from the past. Carnival built the entire Fantasy class for a bit more than they will pay for the Horizon.

The other factor is market saturation. It used to be really just the big three fighting for the cruise dollar (let's concentrate on the Caribbean since that is the main emphasis of CCL). Now they as competitors: Royal, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Costa, MSC, Azamara, HAL, American cruise line, Disney, Aida, Pulmantur, Hurigurten, P&O, Celebration.....

Don't forget about Shaq! They would rather pay one person mega bucks, rather than a few bucks to some band members or show performers.

Edited by Poobah Out2C

I like the point about the newer ships. It seems that the competition with other lines is focused on at least building a better or equal size behemoth with which to stuff passengers on, complete with some new gimmicky attraction (North Star, Sky Ride, etc.). The lower cost cruise lines seem to be in a race as to who can have the most cost-advantageous cruise as well as luxury. (NCL's Haven anyone?) that will satisfy the maximum number of cruisers.

Today's mega cruise ships are really just floating resorts and anyone who frequents cheaper all-inclusive resorts can probably attest to how quality has dropped over the years in favor of quantity.

We recently discovered the newer Viking Ocean cruises and are seriously thinking of booking one a couple of years from now, simply because it's smaller, is more inclusive and it's drink package is very reasonable compared to any of the other lines (i.e. a couple hundred dollars for 2 people on a 7-day cruise vs. nearly $1000 on Carnival, Princess, etc.).

Jimbo;

While I agree with some of your points, do you really feel that Hurtigruten, with one ship of 127 cabins in the Caribbean is a competitor for Carnival? Or American Cruise, which only rarely ventures off the US coast, more into the Gulf of Mexico than the Caribbean, that I know of, and with their much higher prices?

The reduction in staff is not much different than what department stores and grocery stores have been doing for the past few years. It seems like more and more stores are becoming self-serve. Need to check a price on something? Go find a scanner and do it yourself. Ready to check out? Get in line at the self -serve register. It's only a matter of time before we see the demise of the MDR, and ALL dining (except for specialty dining) will be self-serve buffet style.

I like the point about the newer ships. It seems that the competition with other lines is focused on at least building a better or equal size behemoth with which to stuff passengers on, complete with some new gimmicky attraction (North Star, Sky Ride, etc.). The lower cost cruise lines seem to be in a race as to who can have the most cost-advantageous cruise as well as luxury. (NCL's Haven anyone?) that will satisfy the maximum number of cruisers.

Today's mega cruise ships are really just floating resorts and anyone who frequents cheaper all-inclusive resorts can probably attest to how quality has dropped over the years in favor of quantity.

We recently discovered the newer Viking Ocean cruises and are seriously thinking of booking one a couple of years from now, simply because it's smaller, is more inclusive and it's drink package is very reasonable compared to any of the other lines (i.e. a couple hundred dollars for 2 people on a 7-day cruise vs. nearly $1000 on Carnival, Princess, etc.).

I will take the smaller ships over those mega ships. Bigger ships mean more people which means bigger lines. I love cruising to relax and not to wait in lines to do everything.

Water finds its level.
This. During the recession, that level was more inclusive and lower prices. Here ten years into our economy's recovery, and four years since that recovery exceeded pre-recession levels, that level is higher prices and more unbundling resulting in more upcharges.

Because they should?
That's not a good enough explanation from what you want to be true. It is like a parent telling a child, "Because I said so." That works when the child is immature, but as the child becomes a person and an individual, they acquire a reasonable expectation that their life should be governed by something other than parental fiat. In this case, a cruise line is not a child, but independent and separate from you as a passenger, and governed by the expectations of its owners.

I want them getting back on things I don’t care about to keep prices down. If they ever cut something I care about, I may make other cruise decisions.
Just make sure you're not jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, MSC, they're all operating the same way. And they should: They're competitors and "water finds its level". It has. This is that level.

What it sounds like you want is a deluxe cruise line, like Seabourn. Why wouldn't you just make that cruise decision now, and save yourself all the heartache?

For many people, the reason is that fulfilling those desires that you have cost far more money than they can afford to pay.

Reading many of these comments, I'm struck by how much companies are forced to sacrifice the quality of their product over time in order to increase profits. It seems to be that corporations are destined to fail over time due to this, as competitors without as much fiscal responsibility at that time would be able to operate at a lower margin, stealing customers/profits away from the leviathans. This is an interesting way.
I don't think that happens as much as you think. The airlines are the best example of that almost happening, and it didn't happen (due to government interference). It is beginning to happen again with the airlines, but this time the airlines are better managed, and so they're stripping their service specification down to compete apples-to-apples with the "competitors without as much fiscal responsibility" - and the established airlines can withstand the imprudence longer because they can support their operations on the profits they make from routes where they aren't subjected to such reckless competition. They've learned how to navigate those waters.

Having said that, it is true that consumer behaviors can drive markets into ruination. A lot of people think that eventually cable television systems are going to have to fail, undercut by new distribution models. Even there, though, there are mitigations: The companies that would otherwise go belly-up diversify upward into content generation and distribution, and sideways into broadband service, where they are still getting a big piece of the pie.

The cruise lines really want "newbies" and the best way to get them if through very competitive pricing. Prices are dirt cheap when you look at what is included and compared to pricing from years ago. A "newbie" will not be aware of any "cutbacks". And "newbies" spend more than the loyal, repeat cruisers and are generally not aware of the cost-saving tips and tricks the more experienced cruisers know about. They go to port shopping talks and buy the coupon books, they book ship-sponsored excursions, they spend, spend spend.

The cruise lines really want "newbies" and the best way to get them if through very competitive pricing. Prices are dirt cheap when you look at what is included and compared to pricing from years ago. A "newbie" will not be aware of any "cutbacks". And "newbies" spend more than the loyal, repeat cruisers and are generally not aware of the cost-saving tips and tricks the more experienced cruisers know about. They go to port shopping talks and buy the coupon books, they book ship-sponsored excursions, they spend, spend spend.

You are absolutely correct.

I think lcpagejr is onto something with the comparison of what cruising used to be like to what it is today. I'm a new cruiser - our first cruise was in 2013. We were absolutely thrilled with every aspect of our cruise. We came on board knowing we would be "nickelled and dimed" to death, and we were okay with that. The food, entertainment, service and condition of the ship seemed superb to us because we had nothing else to compare it to. We're today's cruisers: middle-class, not big spenders, not looking for luxury.

For those who have been cruising since the days of "The Love Boat," they were cruising when cruising was for the elite (much like air travel before the 80s). You dressed up for it, and you expected to be treated like royalty. There's nothing wrong with that, but the cruise industry begin catering to "my" crowd in the late 90s, and now the quality you were once used to has been lowered because the majority of the sailing crowd is okay with that. Compared to our daily life, cruising on NCL IS luxurious! And yes, as long we the sailing public tolerate what is offered and continue to pay for it, that's what we're going to get.

Hopefully the higher-quality cruise lines still meet the expectations of those who prefer a more elite experience. There should be something for everyone.

Well said. I am not a new cruiser and in my opinion the value is as good as ever based on what we got for the price way back when. Not identical but nothing in life today is identical to those days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Funny....as someone who has cruised before it was 'popular'....where are these 'rising prices'?

What cost me $2000 in 1990's money was well under $1000 this fall for similar itinerary and length. In some ways the service level standards are lower, in many more ways it was is superior experience.

Cruising is no more a luxury event catered to a specific class, it is a floating Caribbean resort marketed to the mainstream. Things change and I think the overall experience is vastly superior to the 'good old days'. The problem is those who expect a luxury experience at a non-luxury price. Those options are still out there, no one wants to pay the price.

Funny....as someone who has cruised before it was 'popular'....where are these 'rising prices'?

What cost me $2000 in 1990's money was well under $1000 this fall for similar itinerary and length. In some ways the service level standards are lower, in many more ways it was is superior experience.

Cruising is no more a luxury event catered to a specific class, it is a floating Caribbean resort marketed to the mainstream. Things change and I think the overall experience is vastly superior to the 'good old days'. The problem is those who expect a luxury experience at a non-luxury price. Those options are still out there, no one wants to pay the price.

I can attest to the rising prices over the past few years especially. I cruised for $199 in an inside for 7 days on Glory then. Well it was $398 due to the solo supplement. They also used to run specials for single cruisers. Lately an inside cabin has been running over twice that.

The ship is getting older, it goes to the same places, and the experience isn’t getting better.

Cutbacks are basic economics. The cruise lines are trying to keep the cruise fares down. too my knowledge they have done a good job at this. I have my cruise invoices going back to 2010 and the cruise I made in 2010 was the most expensive one I have taken (except for my Alaskan cruise). Some of the cutbacks are not a problem to me such as the once a day service. As others have stated cutbacks will continue until a tipping point is made and the cruise lines cannot fill their ships. At that point the cruise lines will offer more benefits/services to attract customers.