Rome prehotel stay, a titillating riposte!!

bobpell

My riposte to your riposte: it's not that bad in Rome. I've seen Naples .... and LIVED!

Seriously, it may look chaotic, but as Hank said the drivers in Italy are used to their own rules of the road and it works for them. In Rome what used to seem dangerous to me is now commonplace -- I understand the rules between cars and pedestrians. As a pedestrian crossing the road, just maintain a constant speed and you will be fine.

As for driving, I'll not drive in Italy. There's not enough espresso in the world to bring my reflexes up to the level required.

Since we are trotting out old, old jokes about drivers in Italy -- someone once told me that in Rome you need to make sure the driver sees you -- if he sees you, he won't run over you. In Naples, you try to make sure the driver doesn't see you. If he sees you, he WILL run over you.

And in my humble opinion, the most chaotic traffic and drivers I've ever seen are in Egypt.

How terrorizeingly (sp) true ...wander...

The white lines marking Italian lanes was an open invitation for maniac motorcycles to create their own mini lane

.God help if someone open their Ferrari door!!

We will titillate readers in March with tantalizing tidbits of our Caribe cruise

Did I mention that the marked jogging track on deck 11 on Kdam was 12 laps for a mile. I walked it slowly

Bob

Remember an adjective can bring on a smile

Bob

My riposte to your riposte: it's not that bad in Rome. I've seen Naples .... and LIVED!

Seriously, it may look chaotic, but as Hank said the drivers in Italy are used to their own rules of the road and it works for them. In Rome what used to seem dangerous to me is now commonplace -- I understand the rules between cars and pedestrians. As a pedestrian crossing the road, just maintain a constant speed and you will be fine.

As for driving, I'll not drive in Italy. There's not enough espresso in the world to bring my reflexes up to the level required.

Since we are trotting out old, old jokes about drivers in Italy -- someone once told me that in Rome you need to make sure the driver sees you -- if he sees you, he won't run over you. In Naples, you try to make sure the driver doesn't see you. If he sees you, he WILL run over you.

And in my humble opinion, the most chaotic traffic and drivers I've ever seen are in Egypt.

I've driven Washington DC/Arlington in rush hour. That's where I received my indoctrination into "don't worry, you can make another turn and get back on track". I have a love/hate relationship with the 14th Street bridge and ending up going over it multiple times in an attempt to get in the other lane and get to the George Washington Parkway.

I've got ex-relatives-in-law from the Naples metropolitan area - I'll agree with you about Neapolitan drivers!!!!

I absolutely agree with you about Egyptian drivers!!! I thought Rome was a bit chaotic and random in driving behavior until I was driven through Cairo!!! Holy Cow!

The following joke was relayed over the PA system on the bus during a Sunday morning tour of Dublin some 20+ years ago - and it still rings true!

A bus driver and a priest die and arrive at the Pearly Gates at the same time. St Peter ignores the Priest and begins to 'book in' the bus driver in a very attentive fashion.

The Priest is furious and protests loudly, demanding that he be given priority over this lowly bus driver.

St Peter puts down his pen and explains patiently, 'Father, we've been watching your performances in you church for some time. Attendances are falling because your sermons are boring, and you offer no picture of the after life, no hope to your parishioners. Most of them fall asleep in sheer boredom ...'

'We've also been watching the performance of our friend, the Bus Driver and feel that his efforts have done much more to restore faith in the church and in God than have you. His passengers don't fall asleep when he is driving - in fact, his performance is so scary, that when he is driving, all his passengers are praying to God without interruption. And that is why he gets priority over you ...' :D

I love this! Surely brought a smile to my face with a chuckle of remembrance of my experiences in Italy--and elsewhere!

The white lines marking Italian lanes was an open invitation for maniac motorcycles to create their own mini lane

We will titillate readers in March with tantalizing tidbits of our Caribe cruise

Did I mention that the marked jogging track on deck 11 on Kdam was 12 laps for a mile. I walked it slowly

Bob

Bob

Yes, certain adjectives can be good things!

Will look forward to your report and your enjoyable writing in general in March. Just behave yourself and stay away form fast cars.

The following joke was relayed over the PA system on the bus during a Sunday morning tour of Dublin some 20+ years ago - and it still rings true!

A bus driver and a priest die and arrive at the Pearly Gates at the same time. St Peter ignores the Priest and begins to 'book in' the bus driver in a very attentive fashion.

The Priest is furious and protests loudly, demanding that he be given priority over this lowly bus driver.

St Peter puts down his pen and explains patiently, 'Father, we've been watching your performances in you church for some time. Attendances are falling because your sermons are boring, and you offer no picture of the after life, no hope to your parishioners. Most of them fall asleep in sheer boredom ...'

'We've also been watching the performance of our friend, the Bus Driver and feel that his efforts have done much more to restore faith in the church and in God than have you. His passengers don't fall asleep when he is driving - in fact, his performance is so scary, that when he is driving, all his passengers are praying to God without interruption. And that is why he gets priority over you ...' :D

Love it!

We use Rome cabs too, with no issues. Once when they were booked we got a texter,ugh. My DH also loves driving in Italy and prefers it to France.

In Greece, we found they turn the two lane roads into four by driving in the shoulder. Once you understand it all works, but when you first see a car barrelling towards you in your lane it is a wee bit disconcerting!

Funny about your Greece comment. Italy has their own variation on 2 lane roads (with a double line in the center). Those roads are actually 4 lanes, the left, the right, and the two center lines which are motorcycle lanes. We have also discovered that in parts of Italy, the sidewalk works well for parking.

Hank

When driving in Italian cities my husband stops if a traffic light turns amber. Apparently that was too cautious and we were always honked at. He waited for lights to turn green too before moving off. Wrong again. We were honked at and frequently the car 2nd in line zipped around us, as the driver anticipated the light changing. It's what makes travel interesting.

Sandra

Our first afternoon in Rome we were relaxing on our balcony, drinking our wine and watching the madness that is the Rome traffic scene. An older couple stepped off the curb and she was hit by a taxi that zipped around another car that had stopped to let the couple pass. It was horrible.This was a couple who were in a crosswalk having just come out of the market with their groceries. It was almost 15 minutes before the ambulance got there. After witnessing that we went out of our way to cross at controlled intersections or cross with a crowd. Rome was the only place in Italy (3 trips to other areas) where I felt unsafe being out on the street.

Bob

Bob

Ahh, Roman drivers. DH declared d them oblivious to red lights and stop signs. They seem to take them as suggestions to be ignored , but his favorite was the way they got those tiny cars all lined up and f parked ON the sidewalks. ::D Roma... One of the oustanding cities of the world, in all ways. IMO :) We rode the train a few times between,Rome and Florence,then on to Venice and Milan... We also flew between those cities a number of times. I liked thetrtain better. Wonderful fun sitting with some locals. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Ahh, Roman drivers. DH declaredd them oblivious to red lights and stop signs. they think of them as suggestions and ignnore them as though they do not exist. He loved teh way they got thoes tiny cars lined up and pbarked on the sidewalks all over Roma. one of my very favorite cities outstaaning in almost all ways. IMO : No mater how much time we wpent there, inever tired of it and was alwwayss happy to retjurn.

Ahh, Roman drivers. DH declaredd them oblivious to red lights and stop signs. they think of them as suggestions and ignnore them as though they do not exist. He loved teh way they got thoes tiny cars lined up and pbarked on the sidewalks all over Roma. one of my very favorite cities outstaaning in almost all ways. IMO : No mater how much time we wpent there, inever tired of it and was alwwayss happy to retjurn.

Yes. Me too! Rome is special